Looking for a DAC ~800$ price range
May 25, 2017 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KT88

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've been using my AMB gamma2 for a few years now, and finally decided I want to upgrade. I don't need it to have any other functions other than the DAC (I have a dedicated amplifier), but I don't really mind having an extra headphone out either.

I've been out of the game for some time now, and therefore not really updated on the current offerings. I did some reading, but not sure if it got me closer to a decision, or farther away :)
I've heard a Buffalo DAC in the past with the ES9018, and was quite surprised by its sound. It was quite impressive. Now that I've started looking I see the ES9028PRO chip is the current variant that's supposed to be better. Reading on I see the Gustard X20pro has quite a bit of discussion, but the opinions are quite split. The A20H also gets quite a good review.

I'm now a bit lost, and would sure appreciate some help. I enjoy a sound that is as flat in frequency response as possible. Distortion or sharpness are something I'm quite sensitive to, and I would like to have a DAC that is as detailed and reveling as I can get in my price range. I will use it with my laptop so a high quality USB connection is a must. A balanced output is also highly desirable to take advantage of my amplifier balanced capability.

Should I go for the X20pro? Maybe the A20H? Maybe something else entirely? Maybe wait a few more months for the newer variants that will have an updated USB solution? Any solid advice will be helpful.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back