Looking for a custom IEM <$850 for my needs
Oct 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

I spending $800 on a universal custom, and I don't know how much good the Merlins or the v6 will sound without an amp. I'll need a really small one though...

Consider the UHA6MKII (best option IMO) or the UHA4 for the digital pot. Then again Tralucents T1 is also a good option and works well with my DX100 (not that an amp is a requirement with that unit but it does sound even better). Regarding the SE5 not needing amping. I think what is meant is that it's not a requirement but you will not be getting the full potential out the IEM, that's for sure.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:
Consider the UHA6MKII (best option IMO) or the UHA4 for the digital pot. Then again Tralucents T1 is also a good option and works well with my DX100 (not that an amp is a requirement with that unit but it does sound even better). Regarding the SE5 not needing amping. I think what is meant is that it's not a requirement but you will not be getting the full potential out the IEM, that's for sure.

$200 for an amp is wayyy to much for me. I think I'll go with a Fiio E11 and "clip" the Sansa Clip+ to it, after some further research and reading review.

Regarding which IEM I should pick, I'm thinking about either getting some UM Merlins or 1964Ears 1964-V6. I'll just have to wait for some impressions and others. Although I'm leaning towards the Merlins.

I still take any other recommendation.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #50 of 61
I don't know why you are cheaping out on your source and a clean amp signal when you want to go all out on customs.

With the JH13 Pro, for example, there is a massive bottleneck when using the Clip+, a complete waste of potential for what it can do. Your set up is only as good as its weakest link.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #51 of 61
I'd actually suggest one step at a time, considering you budget. Rather than wasting on double amping with E11, it is better to just get a CIEM now, then save up to upgrade to a decent source later on (Rocoo BA or some others). Makes a lot more difference.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:
I don't know why you are cheaping out on your source and a clean amp signal when you want to go all out on customs.

With the JH13 Pro, for example, there is a massive bottleneck when using the Clip+, a complete waste of potential for what it can do. Your set up is only as good as its weakest link.

I don't intend to buy anything from Apple, especially the iPods, and I need something portable, so I'm choosing the Clip+. As for the amp, I chose the E11 because it was cheap and portable and I heard good reviews. Is it not powerful enough?

I'm going to contact 1964 Ears and Stephen Guo on the amps and source...

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #53 of 61
The problem is not about power. CIEMs are quite sensitive. Direct from Clip+ is enough. It is just that It will perform way below its potential when double amping through a Clip+. Amp works much better with devices that have line out feature, well mostly have larger form factor. Which is why I suggest save up to upgrade to something like Rocoo BA later on and see the difference yourself.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:
The problem is not about power. CIEMs are quite sensitive. Direct from Clip+ is enough. It is just that It will perform way below its potential when double amping through a Clip+. Amp works much better with devices that have line out feature, well mostly have larger form factor. Which is why I suggest save up to upgrade to something like Rocoo BA later on and see the difference yourself.

Yep you hit it on the nose. Power means nothing. What you need is consistency and the ability to properly drive BA drivers with multiple-crossovers. Not saying the E11 will be bad but it won't be comparable to the UHA6 at all. The clip is ok but nothing special. For the price you pay its a great value, but that is it. It's a great value and won't drive your investment to its full potential. I'd say at least consider saving up and upgrading your sources later if not now.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #55 of 61
Something that isn't being factored in is the ear mold impressions, and shipping, at least an additional 100$ and that is if the impressions are done right the first time.

I like the 4.Ai with a Cowon J3, now that is portable and well in budget.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:
Something that isn't being factored in is the ear mold impressions, and shipping, at least an additional 100$ and that is if the impressions are done right the first time.

I like the 4.Ai with a Cowon J3, now that is portable and well in budget.

Unfortunately, I only have the Sennheiser IE80's the ear mold, and the price of both the ear mold and the IE8x3 upgrade is the price of the Merlins. But then, the IE8x3 isn't as good as the Merlins.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Unfortunately, I only have the Sennheiser IE80's the ear mold, and the price of both the ear mold and the IE8x3 upgrade is the price of the Merlins. But then, the IE8x3 isn't as good as the Merlins.

You wouldn't know that unless you tried both

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:
I think what he means that you need to take into account the price of ear impressions and shipping. Which makes 4.Ai (universal) a more viable option than customs.

[size=10pt]Thanks for the clarification. What I really mean by "$850" is "$800," and $50 to spend on impressions and shipping.[/size]

Quote:

You wouldn't know that unless you tried both

The only reshelling service for the IE8/IE80 is Unique Melody, who upgrades the two drivers to three drivers. When I asked UM Global and Stephen Guo (UM North America), they both agree that the Merlins are a better option than the IE8x3. From people I've heard who own both, they all prefer the Merlins over the IE8x3.

Here are the two emails:

Originally Posted by Stephen Guo

[size=10pt]From what customers told me, the Merlin is better overall than the ie8x3. nobody told me about specifics, but they said they are happier with the merlin. i don't have a pair of ie8x3. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Cheers,[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Stephen[/size]

Originally Posted by Unique Melody Global

[size=10.0pt]The as we discussed to you via chat, the IE8x3 is vastly different to the UM Merlin.  There are a myriad of difference, however the IE8x3 is a very good entry point into the world of hybrid custom IEM's.  It has deep bass from the IE8 as well as an aggressive treble.  The differences between the Merlin and the IE8x3 is that the bass is less accurate, the mids are less lush and full and the treble, whilst aggressive, isn't as smooth and refined as the Merlin.  [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The Bass of the IE8 is maintained, whilst the detail midrange, soundstage and treble all increase noticeably with the addition of the dedicated mid and bass drivers.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The Merlin though, was designed from the ground up.  Therefore we were at liberty to choose the best dynamic driver for the type of sound we were going for, rather than being limited by the existing bass driver in the IEM that we are re-shelling.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Thanks[/size]

[size=10.0pt]UM[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Sales Team[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Unique Melody Global  [/size]
[size=10.0pt]www.uniquemelody.co[/size]

[size=7.5pt]*find us on FACEBOOK[/size] for specials, discounts and the latest news!*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back