Looking for a comfortable set of cans for a big head.
May 14, 2015 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fox091

New Head-Fier
Tek Syndicate did a video on Youtube a while back talking about getting rid of your gaming headset and going to a separate mic and headphone combo.  I've wanted to do this for a while, but have never really taken the time to sit down and plan out what I wanted.  I already have a really awesome set of headphones (in my opinion), the Bose AE2.  They are absolutely the most comfortable headphone I think I've ever had on my head.  I've heard before that people around here tend to not like Bose much, and I'm not trying to dispute that.  I could use my Bose AE2s with a microphone right now and have no problems, but I really want some open backed headphones so my ears can breathe and so I can hear myself talk when chatting in Teamspeak.

Here's the tough part.  I want something that is really comfortable on my head.  I've always had a problem with "pressure sensitivity" or as I like to call it, having a giant head.  I'm looking to spend no more than $100 or so.  If something is really compelling for $110 or $120 I'm not gonna shoot it down immediately, but I'd really like to stay lower in price.  These headphones will be used for Gaming, watching videos, and general chatting in my Teamspeak server.  What can I get around this price that will not give me a massive headache after wearing them for a while?  Some of the cans that have jumped out at me so far are some of the Beyerdynamic stuff like the DT990, but they are far too expensive.  Also the Superlux HD668Bs sound like they would be good, but look like the build quality is total crap.  Outside of that I don't really have any brand preference.

May 14, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Depending on where you live and if you don't mind buying used, you can find a DT 990 for 120-140$

I can find them for about as low as $140 and I do really like the look of them, but that feels a bit too high for me.  I actually had them pulled up yesterday and liked them, but didn't know if the price was worth it.  I also read that the Pros clamp a bit harder than the premiums and to avoid them if you have a large head.  Is this entirely true or do the pros stretch?

I found a couple of others in my price range, but it's hard to find a decent review that tells how hard they clamp.  I found the Samson SR850s on Amazon for $40 that have velour looking pads and I've heard that they are re-branded Superlux HD668Bs, but they also look like a chunk of cheap plastic.

Are there any others from Beyerdynamic that are cheaper and worth looking at?

May 14, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 17
I have a big head. Sennheiser cans are comfortable for me.

I haven't tried the H518, but you can get them for $75 on Amazon. I have tried the HD558 (they're good), and they're selling for $120 on Amazon.

You might be able to find some Sennheisers on demo at a Best Buy or something. If comfort is a key issue, trying before buying will do a lot of good.

May 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 17

I haven't tried the H518, but you can get them for $75 on Amazon. I have tried the HD558 (they're good), and they're selling for $120 on Amazon.

You might be able to find some Sennheisers on demo at a Best Buy or something. If comfort is a key issue, trying before buying will do a lot of good.

I live in West Virginia and we only have one Best Buy close enough to drive to.  All they have is Beats, Bose, and a couple of other brands in the store.  They hardly have anything other than laptops and appliances on display honestly.  I like the look of the 518s quite a bit and the price is good.  I'll pull up some reviews on them and see if I can find anything on how hard they clamp.

The 558s look good too, but they're also kind of up there in price for me.

Gonna keep an my eyes open for any other suggestions over the next few days and take the plunge on something.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Looks like they clamp pretty lightly.  Just enough to make a decent seal.  The 518 is now at the top of my list and unless something else tops it, I'll buy them.  I can get them for just over $60 on Amazon Warehouse deals brand new with just damaged packaging.  Thanks again.

May 14, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 17
I can get you the HD558 for $76.59 full warrant authorized dealer PM me if interested.

May 14, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 17
518 for $56 46 authorized full warrant. You get no warrant with AWD.

May 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 17
May 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 17

How would you say the clamping force is on the 558?  My problem isn't as much size, as it is that I get bad headaches when something squeezes my head.  I am liking them better now due to the real velour pads.  Plus, I can get them for around $76 like bikerboy said.

May 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 17
Well HD558 are comfortable for me even with glasses on.

May 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 17
May 14, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 17
They are all day comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back