Looking for a closed Sennheiser sound
Nov 13, 2008 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
I know there have been a few threads touching on this subject, but none seemed to solve the problem.

I have HD-580s. I absolutely love them! I'm considering getting some HD-650s because I like my 580s so much. There is one problem...

Sometimes I like to listen when I go to bed, and the open nature occasionally bothers the Mrs. So I'm interested in a closed headphone with a similar sound. I'm told that HD-580s are the same as HD-600s except for the grills (I've replaced mine with the 600 variety) and the cable (I'm making a new cable soon anyway). The 650s are supposed to be an improvement, and I WILL own a pair someday, but I think my next purchase should be a closed design.

I have some nice triple driver IEMs (FreqShows). As much as I like them, they can't quite provide the same experience as the Sennheisers
frown.gif

So what do you guys recommend?

I know what you will all want to know...
Budget? Realistically, similar to 650s but I'd spend as much as I have to
wink.gif

Music types? I listen to a lot of rock, but when I go to bed I put on "softer" stuff. Examples of recent selections: Pink Floyd, Crowded House, Norah Jones, various classical
Actually those are the only two things I see people ask. If you need more info, just ask.

Oh ya, I'll be powering these through an iPod (DIYmod) via LOD and an amp, so I'm not worried about phones that are hard to drive. If I can push 580s I can push most others, right?
wink_face.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 11
Based on your tastes in music listed above, I'd go with either Denon D5000 stock cable, or Denon D2000 with re-cable, and if needed do your own version of markl mods. I haven't needed to do the mods with my APureSound cabled D2000, but I did order the markl woodies for them. Since I balanced them, I have been using them EVERY night in the bedroom, and ignoring my HD600 and RS-1 and Edition 9. The comfort is fantastic, and the sound is very good.

Another option that is much cheaper is the ATH-A900 limited edition (not the Art unless you plan to recable and dampen them internally to make them sound like the Limited). But, they will NOT be as detailed as the Senn or Denon.

By this weekend I'll be able to let you know what I think of the new ATH-ESW10JPN closed phones...

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 11
To my ears, the BeyerDynamic DT150 sounds a lot like the HD580 I once had.

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 11
how about Earbuds? PK1 is open but doesnt leak high levels of sound..and is good for bed.

also it sounds like a full size can with big soundstage.

u can read the review on how they sound.

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your tastes in music listed above, I'd go with either Denon D5000 stock cable, or Denon D2000 with re-cable, and if needed do your own version of markl mods. I haven't needed to do the mods with my APureSound cabled D2000, but I did order the markl woodies for them. Since I balanced them, I have been using them EVERY night in the bedroom, and ignoring my HD600 and RS-1 and Edition 9. The comfort is fantastic, and the sound is very good.

Another option that is much cheaper is the ATH-A900 limited edition (not the Art unless you plan to recable and dampen them internally to make them sound like the Limited). But, they will NOT be as detailed as the Senn or Denon.

By this weekend I'll be able to let you know what I think of the new ATH-ESW10JPN closed phones...

I had been reading some reviews of Denons recently and they looked interesting. Originally I was thinking I wanted to try something different then Sennheisers, but then I thought, "if it aint broke, why fix it?" Cost isn't a huge issue, so I'll take a look at the 5000's. Too bad I live in the boonies, or I would try to audition some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the BeyerDynamic DT150 sounds a lot like the HD580 I once had.

DT150? Haven't heard of that one, I'll have to look into it. Are the DT880s closed? Those I've heard good things about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about Earbuds? PK1 is open but doesnt leak high levels of sound..and is good for bed.

also it sounds like a full size can with big soundstage.

u can read the review on how they sound.

I have custom IEMs that are quite comfortable to sleep in, but I prefer the sound of my Sennheisers. I mostly use the IEMs for when I'm out and about. When I'm at home, I would rather use a full size can and an amp.

I have always wanted to try some PK1s though
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ESW9. Sounds a lot like a Senn. Dark, warm, smooth, refined.

Is that the Edition 9 that headphoneaddict mentioned?

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 11
esw9 is from AudioTechnica, Ed9 is Ultrasone. not the same (and def. not same price-league
wink.gif
)
esw10, used here, sounds like a very nice mix between grado/senn: warmer, wider and smoother than grado, faster and brigher than senn.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 11
ESW9 nothing alike.
Denon D2000 is pretty close, except flabbier bass and hotter treble, mids are also a bit recessed in comparison.
AKG K271S has somewhat similar tonality spare lesser bass quantity.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT150? Haven't heard of that one, I'll have to look into it. Are the DT880s closed? Those I've heard good things about.

The DT880 is not closed. The DT770 consumer edition is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back