Looking for a Closed Circumaural HP for Rock
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asyousaid

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been looking for a new pair of headphones as my current Sennheiser HD202 II is starting to fail. Got them for £17 ($27) a couple of years back around x-mas time. Which is just insane considering the sound they produce after a while of listening (4000+ hours atm). I've had a couple of Sony on-ear before these - MDR V150 and V300. And also the Sennheiser CX200 in-ear.

So I mostly listen to rock music, such as Cream and Mountain to harder Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Also quite a lot of stoner rock/metal -  think fuzzy, bass guitar heavy songs - like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Truckfighters. I probably use my HP's 40-50 hours a week, mostly at work but also at home. Portability is therefore not as important as being comfortable and closed back. I use them through my computers most of the time, with integrated soundcards. I don't really step on the volume so not sure if I would need an amp as well.

After a couple of weeks researching through a lot of headphone reviews I still cannot make a decision. I've mostly looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm and the new Creative Aurvana Live!2, which is due to hit the market by next month. The predecessor seems to be most bang for the buck in the sub £100 ($160) window. The CAL2 should land at around £110 in the UK. I'd love to go and listen to some but even though I live in London there's nowhere to test anything else than really cheap ones or Beats by Dre, Sync by 50 Cent etc.

What do you think? Should I wait for the CAL 2 to arrive and see how they perform, or are there better over-ear closed HP's for my type of music taste? I'm looking for something to sort me out at around £100 (might go up to £130 for the DT770). I don't mind spending less either. Really interested in trying a pair of Grado's, but my colleagues would hate me within 5 minutes, as I hear they leak sound like a pair of speakers.

Many thanks in advance. Any help to unwrap my head is appreciated.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 6
  After a couple of weeks researching through a lot of headphone reviews I still cannot make a decision. I've mostly looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm and the new Creative Aurvana Live!2, which is due to hit the market by next month. The predecessor seems to be most bang for the buck in the sub £100 ($160) window. The CAL2 should land at around £110 in the UK. I'd love to go and listen to some but even though I live in London there's nowhere to test anything else than really cheap ones or Beats by Dre, Sync by 50 Cent etc.

CALs2 might be a good choice but since it hasn't come out yet, you'll be taking a chance there. The DT770s Pro 80 I didn't find very good with Rock. They are extremely V-shaped, bass overpowers the mids and the mids aren't as detailed either (which is where your guitars and vocals will reside...). I would suggest to also look into:

Shure SRH840
KEF M500
PSB M4U 1
Yamaha HPH-MT220

and a host of others might be able to do an excellent job. If amping is no problem, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs would do great as well.

AT M50s I didn't find particularly excellent in the mids either, but it's a decent all around headphone as well, though I'd choose the SRH840s over them (or any other from the list above).
I also find the mentioned headphones above more comfortable than the M50s, though the Beyers are also comfortable, their sound will probably wont cut it for what you want...

Good luck!
And welcome to head-fi.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 6
  I dont much time to use closed headphones but most all my frieds recommended me Audio-Technica ATH-M50 

Thanks for your input. gelocks was quick to comment on these.

CALs2 might be a good choice but since it hasn't come out yet, you'll be taking a chance there. The DT770s Pro 80 I didn't find very good with Rock. They are extremely V-shaped, bass overpowers the mids and the mids aren't as detailed either (which is where your guitars and vocals will reside...). I would suggest to also look into:

Shure SRH840
KEF M500
PSB M4U 1
Yamaha HPH-MT220

and a host of others might be able to do an excellent job. If amping is no problem, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs would do great as well.

AT M50s I didn't find particularly excellent in the mids either, but it's a decent all around headphone as well, though I'd choose the SRH840s over them (or any other from the list above).
I also find the mentioned headphones above more comfortable than the M50s, though the Beyers are also comfortable, their sound will probably wont cut it for what you want...

Good luck!
And welcome to head-fi.

Thanks for the warm welcoming. What a post, absolutely smashing!

The HD202 are quite bass heavy, I don't mind that but they lack the mids. Would be nice to have a different headphone, like you suggest here. The PSB and KEF are probably too expensive for me, as with the Mad Dogs. Money is not really a problem but I'm trying to be realistic here (if that makes any sense). The Shure SRH840 is about £150 while the Yamaha lands at £130. That's not too bad.

What about AKG K550? They're in the same price range and from what I've read they're pretty good balanced as well.

Again, many thanks for the suggestions gelocks.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Hello.

I haven't personally tried the AKG 550s but it seems this is one headphone with polarizing opinions. It seems that "fit" might be inducing these said issues/polarizing opinions as some people find it bass light and others find them full sounding... Usually the lack of "seal" in a headphone might bring these inconsistencies up front.

Tyll from Innerfidelity seemed to like them but he has new recommendations as well:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

To add to your list, the Sony MDR-1R are VERY comfortable and good sounding as well... Price should be like $250 or less by now.

Also, regarding prices, you can look into our own "For Sale/Trade" forums.
Just in case... :wink:

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh, BTW,

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-summer-buying-guide-over-ear-headphones

There are more details on some headphones you might look into as well. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back