Looking for a close / semi-open alternative to the HE-500
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MetalChameau

New Head-Fier
Sup, and sorry for my bad English, I'm French.

I'm looking for a fully closed alternative to the HE-500.
I don't really care about passive isolation. If possible I just don't want the headphones to leak that much.

For instance I had a 1990 at some point, and I was ok with sound leakage. Same thing with my 650s.
But in this regard the 500s are just dumb, it's like having a set of speakers on my head lol.
Still, something totally closed would be better than semi-open.

I'm also looking for something light. The 500s are just so heavy, it gets uncomfortable after 30 minutes.
It doesn't need to be ultra light though. As long as it is below 400 grams it's fine.

In term of sound I'm looking for something that shares the same sound signature as the 500s.
I wouldn't mind something with a softer presentation like the 650s though.

I love the 650s, they have forwad midrange with a warmish sound, and the treble is very soft and gentle.
But in comparaison the he500s hit harder in the low end, and they have much better bass extension. I'd love to get something like that but closed.

So far I have found the Mr Speaker Ether C Flow, but they are too expensive for me xD
Also I'm not even sure I'd like them.
Do you guys have ideas ?

Thx a lot !!!

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Look into the Satolex HDH2097 Plum.
You would need to export it from Japan (maybe through amazon? not sure).
It's probably the most objectively neutral closed-back headphone I've ever heard, and quite possibly one of the most neutral closed-back headphones out there.
It's also extremely lightweight and comfortable.

Another Japan-only I recommend is the JVC HA-MX100-Z + MDR-Z1000 pads (can find aftermarket pads on ebay) is more expensive but a similarly neutral and higher sound quality, but a bit heavier.
Both of these have a slightly stronger bass than HE-500 simply because they are closed-back headphones.

I can't recommend anything else, because nothing else I've heard or owned comes close to your requirements.

These are my own measurements, so it's not a perfect scientific example, just a guide.
(My He-500 measurements have a few small mods that don't affect the overall tone.)
upload_2018-12-21_16-16-28.png

upload_2018-12-21_16-16-41.png
upload_2018-12-21_16-20-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-21_16-19-2.png
    upload_2018-12-21_16-19-2.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back