Looking for a CHEAP sub.
Dec 17, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Akathisia

500+ Head-Fier
I was curious if anyone has any recommendations for a less than $100 subwoofer to use with my PC speakers. My PC speaker setup as it stands will be a T-Amp gen 2 and a pair of Infinity RS10b bookshelf speakers (not 'hifi', but enough to enjoy games and music). It doesn't need to get very loud, but the RS10b's are a little bit bright and a bit of clean low end would be nice.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I just bought this sub:
Parts Expressayton SUB-100 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer
$105 shipped

I bought this sub cable to go along with it:
Parts Express:Subwoofer Cable 13 ft.

This setup suits me perfectly well, especially for the price paid. I'm upgrading in the near future, but needed something to tie me over until then and I have absolutely no complaints. They have an 8" version of that sub for $80, but you have to spend over $100 to get the free shipping, so you might as well get the 10 version for $105
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 5
I bought a cheap sony sub to mate with a tripath amp because I had checked one out and it had a very important feature for T-amps.

Separated grounds, the tripath chips don't really like (read will die) if you tie the grounds together on the output. So depending on how you plan on integrating them with your satellites you may need to look into working with or around this issue.

If you goto the audiocircle.com and look at the horn shop forum you will find one answer to the issue.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 5
In your price range I don't see how you can do any better than the Dayton Audio sub that kunuggs suggested. Frankly I'm floored at that price! It will perform better than anything I can think of at three times the price.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 5
That does look like a really killer deal, and it's probably what I will go with. But, do you guys think that is too much subwoofer for a modest desktop setup? The bookshelfs I will be using are only going to be ~3 feet from my ears, and the sub will be at my feet under my computer desk.

I definitely want to go powered, so that I don't have to A. run another T amp, or B. worry about taxing the T amp running my speakers. Plus running powered I can avoid the complications that JadeEast brought up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back