Looking for a budget headphone DAC
May 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #31 of 48
See, that's what I am curious about. I am curious if there will even be an auditory difference between an external 24/192 DAC vs onboard audio which can technically output the same, but sounds noticeably worse than the surround sound I use now, before putting more money into better DACs.

No way to know unless we have the same usb device that you used.

And even then if the difference isn't drastic we can't answer for whether you can hear the difference.

May 13, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #33 of 48
Does anyone have the same motherboard chip that I have that can run at 24/192? And does an external DAC sound any different than that?
Are you playing a 24 bit file and then the same song at lower bit rate to tell the difference?

May 14, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #35 of 48
Does anyone have the same motherboard chip that I have that can run at 24/192? And does an external DAC sound any different than that?

Even with the same Realtek DAC chips on most boards the circuit on the headphone driver stage, something you can't just evaluate based on what op-amps were used (and Gigabyte used to have socketed op-amps so you can roll them from around Z87 to Z170).

May 14, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #36 of 48
May 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #37 of 48
So basically, with the surround sound setup I have now, a DAC probably isn't going to sound better than it, if the surround sound adapter already sounds better than onboard audio, and the only benefit I will get is from amplification which I would probably be better off getting without a DAC and plugging my surround sound source into that, correct? If so, then I've been looking at the SMSL SAM-II Pro as an amplifier. About $65 and seems to be well regarded.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #38 of 48
So basically, with the surround sound setup I have now, a DAC probably isn't going to sound better than it, if the surround sound adapter already sounds better than onboard audio, and the only benefit I will get is from amplification...

That assumes:

1. You were listening loud enough to have that "adapter" clip or even just distort...

2. ...assuming it isn't already distorting due to high output impedance, which means the low output impedance, low distortion, high power amp might end up having a sound that sounds comparatively "thin."

May 15, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #39 of 48
The adapter I use doesn't get very loud, it's one of the reasons I was thinking of getting a DAC with built in AMP but if the quality isn't going to be better, then I just need to increase volume.

May 15, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #40 of 48
So basically, with the surround sound setup I have now, a DAC probably isn't going to sound better than it, if the surround sound adapter already sounds better than onboard audio, and the only benefit I will get is from amplification which I would probably be better off getting without a DAC and plugging my surround sound source into that, correct? If so, then I've been looking at the SMSL SAM-II Pro as an amplifier. About $65 and seems to be well regarded.

The surround sound adapter you have now can only do 16/48 so I think you'll benefit from a DAC that can do at least 24/96 over USB. And clearly you'll benefit from an amp that provides clean power.

May 15, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #42 of 48
Strangely, I'm quite happy with my Startech ICUSBAUDIO2D .. costs nothing and delivers quite well. It does have a bit of noise/hiss when nothing plays, but I don't hear that while music runs anyway. If you're not against certain chiense vending platforms, there're a few interesting options tthere.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #44 of 48
I MIGHT just go with the Atom. Specs say that the low gain settings works perfectly with easier to drive headphones like IEMs (or my 32ohm headphones) and the high gain output would be able to drive much higher ohm headphones. So if I get some DT880s or T50RPs as my next headphones, I'll be able to drive higher ohms.

May 15, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #45 of 48
Maybe if I get that, with the extra space inside the enclosure I could wire in my Dolby Digital processor circuitry and create a surround sound DAC/amp based on the Atom. Maybe wire in a normal DAC too and have a twitch to go between the two sources with a single USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back