Looking for $200-300 Closed Back w/ Amazing Bass & Good Imaging for Movies & Gaming
May 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

macro

Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I'm looking for some new headphones for my home theater. I've been using some K702 Annies, which are amazing, but I need something that isolates better. A little more authority down below 40 Hz would be nice too.

Budget: $200-300 (will consider buying used)
Use: Movies (comedy, action, drama), Gaming, Music (hip hop, electronic, a huge variety of rock)
Source: PS3/Macbook > RXV371 w/ Silent Cinema > Objective2 for movies/games or just Macbook > Objective2 for music

I'm looking for something that isolates well and has amazing bass that's extended as far down as the ear can hear and well controlled. Ideally something that's neutral or slightly warm. I am hoping to add a nice, transparent equalizer to my setup whenever I can find a good deal on one, so there might be a little wiggle room with regards to the sound signature. I'm also looking for something with precise imaging for gaming, although I'm not very competitive, so I think I'd prioritize the 'fun factor' over flawless positioning cues. My ears seem to be pretty sensitive to sibilant or piercing upper mids, and I want something that I can listen to for hours on end. I guess I'm basically looking for a more refined version of my M50s to leave at home by the couch. V-MODA BoomPro mic compatibility would be a plus too.

Currently considering:
Focal Spirit Classic (fingers crossed for another Massdrop deal, or possibly get them used)
Focal Spirit Professional
NAD VISO HP50
ATH-M50x

Are there any others I should should check out?

May 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 10
NAD HP50 could certainly be a good choice for you. Good bass extension, and also a good setup above the ATH-M50 series, IMO. Check out the measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf

The Focal Spirit Pros are apparently somewhat similar, although I have not listened to them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf

May 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 10
  I'm looking for some new headphones for my home theater. I've been using some K702 Annies, which are amazing, but I need something that isolates better. A little more authority down below 40 Hz would be nice too.
Budget: $200-300 (will consider buying used)
Use: Movies (comedy, action, drama), Gaming, Music (hip hop, electronic, a huge variety of rock)
Source: PS3/Macbook > RXV371 w/ Silent Cinema > Objective2 for movies/games or just Macbook > Objective2 for music
I'm looking for something that isolates well and has amazing bass that's extended as far down as the ear can hear and well controlled. Ideally something that's neutral or slightly warm. I am hoping to add a nice, transparent equalizer to my setup whenever I can find a good deal on one, so there might be a little wiggle room with regards to the sound signature. I'm also looking for something with precise imaging for gaming, although I'm not very competitive, so I think I'd prioritize the 'fun factor' over flawless positioning cues. My ears seem to be pretty sensitive to sibilant or piercing upper mids, and I want something that I can listen to for hours on end. I guess I'm basically looking for a more refined version of my M50s to leave at home by the couch. V-MODA BoomPro mic compatibility would be a plus too.
Currently considering:
Focal Spirit Classic (fingers crossed for another Massdrop deal, or possibly get them used)
Focal Spirit Professional, NAD VISO HP50, ATH-M50x
Are there any others I should should check out?

Do you connect the Mac to the Yamaha using analog or optical or HDMI (display port)?
Do you plug the O2 into the Yamaha RCA jacks or into the Yamaha's headphone output?
If you plug the K702 directly into the Yamaha's headphone jack, is there a difference?

Maybe the SoundMagic HP150?
(never used them myself)

May 18, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 10
NAD HP50 could certainly be a good choice for you. Good bass extension, and also a good setup above the ATH-M50 series, IMO. Check out the measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf

The Focal Spirit Pros are apparently somewhat similar, although I have not listened to them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf

Appreciate the input. Those are two of my top choices from what I've found so far.

Do you connect the Mac to the Yamaha using analog or optical or HDMI (display port)?

HDMI. Using analog audio would reduce the signal to two channels, so Silent Cinema wouldn't work properly.

Do you plug the O2 into the Yamaha RCA jacks or into the Yamaha's headphone output?

I use the headphone out. I think that's the only way to get Silent Cinema.

If you plug the K702 directly into the Yamaha's headphone jack, is there a difference?

Maybe, but the difference is marginal at best. It might even just be placebo effect, since I'd expect the O2 to sound better with the lower output impedance (the Yamaha's headphone output impedance appears to be 470 Ohms according to the manual unless I'm reading it wrong). Haven't tried a blind A/B test.

Maybe the SoundMagic HP150?
(never used them myself)

Haven't looked into those. I'll check 'em out. Thanks for the suggestion.

May 18, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 10
  Maybe, but the difference is marginal at best. It might even just be placebo affect, since I'd expect the O2 to sound better with the lower output impedance (the Yamaha's headphone output impedance appears to be 470 Ohms according to the manual unless I'm reading it wrong). Haven't tried a blind A/B test.

Haven't looked into those (HP150). I'll check 'em out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm wondering if the 470-Ohm has more to do with the max Ohm for recommending headphones?
(but I'm far from an expert in these matters)
If the O2 and headphone jack sound somewhat close, then it's hard to believe the headphone jack would have a 470-Ohm output impedance.
I doubt any headphone would sound good lugged into 470-Ohm output impedance jack.

May 18, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 10
Don't count out the M4U1 from PSB. I couldn't be happier with mine even when amplified. The bass extends clearly to 20hz and never seems to overtake any of the other frequencies that may be present while gaming or listening to music. As for imaging when gaming, it took me a little while to get used to positioning in CS:GO and Battlefield due to the sheer quality and precision of these headphones. I came from a Razer Carcharias so anything would have been better than what I had. Now I have no problem picking people up from halfway across maps in CS:GO and I can call out pretty much any vehicle or weapon fire accurately from across the map in Battlefield. I gave the NAD Viso HP50 and Focal Spirit One's a listen and tested them before I decided on the PSB's. In my experience, the PSB's just do everything marginally better than every other sub $300 closed back cans. I noticed the Focals and NADs had slightly richer bass down low but it was bordering on overpowering for a lot of the content I was listening to. Hopefully this helps you out.

May 18, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 10

I'm wondering if the 470-Ohm has more to do with the max Ohm for recommending headphones?
(but I'm far from an expert in these matters)
If the O2 and headphone jack sound somewhat close, then it's hard to believe the headphone jack would have a 470-Ohm output impedance.
I doubt any headphone would sound good lugged into 470-Ohm output impedance jack.

Yeah, I don't know. It could be the load impedance, but based on the way it's written it seems that the load impedance for their rating is 8 ohms and 470 ohms is the output impedance. I sent Yamaha an email about it a while back. I got a couple ambiguously worded responses and when I started asking for clarification I stopped getting responses. I didn't get the impression the customer support rep really knew what he was talking about.

Don't count out the M4U1 from PSB. I couldn't be happier with mine even when amplified. The bass extends clearly to 20hz and never seems to overtake any of the other frequencies that may be present while gaming or listening to music. As for imaging when gaming, it took me a little while to get used to positioning in CS:GO and Battlefield due to the sheer quality and precision of these headphones. I came from a Razer Carcharias so anything would have been better than what I had. Now I have no problem picking people up from halfway across maps in CS:GO and I can call out pretty much any vehicle or weapon fire accurately from across the map in Battlefield. I gave the NAD Viso HP50 and Focal Spirit One's a listen and tested them before I decided on the PSB's. In my experience, the PSB's just do everything marginally better than every other sub $300 closed back cans. I noticed the Focals and NADs had slightly richer bass down low but it was bordering on overpowering for a lot of the content I was listening to. Hopefully this helps you out.

Thanks. I think I remember reading some good comments about the PSBs while searching around the forums. I will give them more thorough consideration.

May 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks again for the recommendations guys! I found an open box Spirit Classic for $299 shipped and it comes with the factory warranty. The shop also offers free return shipping for up to 30 days, so I figure worst case scenario it's a free demo. But from what I've read, I think I'll end up keeping them. I just wish they came in black, but what can you do.

May 22, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 10
That sounds like a great deal. You can't turn down a free return on an open box model. My local shop lets me return anything within 30 days as long as I don't destroy the box, but everything product they sell is top notch. I've yet to return anything and I never seen anyone else complaining either. Let us know how you like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back