Looking for 2.1 speakers other than the Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Jun 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Chauie

New Head-Fier
I've had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for almost 2 years now and I really love them. I noticed that they seem to be a favorite choice on these forums as well. However, a few days ago my set just stopped working. I searched online and saw that a lot of people have problems specifically with these speakers and Klipsch doesn't seem like they are willing to help their customers with replacements, either.

So I am looking to buy a new 2.1 system for computer use. I listen to mainly rap/hip-hop and dubstep. I really love my bass and would love a 2.1 set that give great quality bass. I also enjoy using the speakers for movies and videos as well. I do game a lot on my computer but I'm not too focused on finding gaming speakers.

My budget is $500 or less.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I did a search on the forums for this topic and I mostly just saw a lot of recommendations for the Promedia's. 

Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 17
I don't really want to buy another one because although I've read many positive reviews about how great the speakers are and was able to experience them first hand, there are just as many complaints about how plagued with problems the system really is. I don't want to spend money on another pair and have it just die on me in less than 2 years again. :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 17
I see you up your budget by a good amount. You might be able to find something with better quality at that price. 2.1 setup are usually built from 2 set of monitor and an added sub.

The AV-40 or (the b5x D2) and a random sub is a popular mix in the computer forum. Since the AV-40 are powered there is no need for an amp allowing you to spare more money on the monitor/sub itself.

You could also go for passive speakers amp/DAC and a sub.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
I've had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for almost 2 years now and I really love them. I noticed that they seem to be a favorite choice on these forums as well. However, a few days ago my set just stopped working. I searched online and saw that a lot of people have problems specifically with these speakers and Klipsch doesn't seem like they are willing to help their customers with replacements, either.
So I am looking to buy a new 2.1 system for computer use. I listen to mainly rap/hip-hop and dubstep. I really love my bass and would love a 2.1 set that give great quality bass. I also enjoy using the speakers for movies and videos as well. I do game a lot on my computer but I'm not too focused on finding gaming speakers.
My budget is $500 or less.
Sorry if this is a repost, but I did a search on the forums for this topic and I mostly just saw a lot of recommendations for the Promedia's. 

What sound card are you using?
Computer audio is not really designed to work with separate speakers and sub-woofers.
Computer audio does not come with a 2.1 speaker (3-channel) setting.
Usually it's 2-channel with the 2.1 speakers themselves separating the audio between the speakers and the sub-woofer.
The cheapest and decent sub is the Velodyne VX-11, $150-$170.
Now if you can find a used decent A/V receiver (with digital input) for $100-$150.
That leaves you $180-$250 for a pair of speakers.
Best deals are listed on Techbargins and Bountii.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 17
Personally about 6-8 mths ago i stopped recommending the Promedias as apparently the newer batches had some fatal design/QC flaw and many were dropping like flies 
deadhorse.gif

I agree with the posters suggesting a proper 8-10" sub and for strictly 2 channel one could dip in used market for vintage/classic stereo amps other than coax/optical AVRs

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 17
Well, I've got a set of Promedia 4.1's from approximately 2001 that sound as good today as they did then. I can't imagine a better audio investment. Buy from a place with a decent extended warranty if you are worried about getting a set that will last.

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Well, I've got a set of Promedia 4.1's from approximately 2001 that sound as good today as they did then. I can't imagine a better audio investment. Buy from a place with a decent extended warranty if you are worried about getting a set that will last.

that is a good idea I guess, I bought them from best buy and their warranty was only 1 year :/

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Yeah i've heard that product mentioned around a few times. Also seen the Corsair SP2500 and Edifier s730 mentioned a lot too. Any opinion on these sets?

Near as I can tell both are really intended for gaming and movies. Loud with strong bass, but not much detail when compared to similar priced products. Not really ideal for music.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 17
Have you thought about monitors? They're 2.0 but can be paired with a sub if required. Pretty accurate for music, and especially for up close listening.
M-Audio/Audioengine are pretty good in this regard.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 17
Jul 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 17
I bought my Swan M50w set about a year ago and am absolutely loving them.  At the time, I was upgrading from my Logitech z-2300 and the Swans were a clear and substantial upgrade.  They seem to be geared a bit more for music than gaming/movies but they are a really great all-arounder.  The sub meets my needs for Hip-Hop (incl. Atmosphere, Archetype, Del the Funky Homosapien, Nujabes) and Dubstep (incl. Boxcutter, Burial,  Eleven Tigers, Zomby) and I only keep the dial at ~10:00.  The subwoofer has a pretty small footprint but it packs plenty of punch - way more than you're likely to use in a bedroom/office listening environment.  Besides me getting rid of my Logitech speakers, the Swans have also caused me to stop listening to my ATH-50s at my desktop - I just always prefer my Swans.

As an added bonus they look phenomenal with their wood finish.  I would recommend them to anyone looking to buy an all-in-one 2.1 system with great quality and price:performance (@$300) from a legit speaker company.

Product: http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443

Store: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back