Looking for 2.1 computer speakers
May 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
Hey pals,

I'm looking to upgrade my Mom's 2.1 Logitech speakers. I want to use them for 50% music and 50% movies. I don't want the bass to overwhelm (you know that one-note bass that sticks out and makes dialogue unintelligible). I've heard about the Swan M10s and Klipsch Promedia 2.1. On that note, the M10s have a hefty shipping fee to Canada and are on backorder, and the Klipsch, I have a feeling, still have their reputation from the old days as bass thumpers. I'd prefer a set like the M10s, which are more musical. I'm open as well to active powered speakers as long as they accept optical or the analogue outputs of a motherboard. No more than $200 please. A2 and AV40 of course are popular...

Thanks for any ideas.

May 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Suggest you try to buying used Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 off eBay.
I think i paid about $90 for my used Promedia.

DACs start out at $12, on eBay

May 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 7
  Suggest you try to buying used Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 off eBay.
I think i paid about $90 for my used Promedia.

DACs start out at $12, on eBay

Second this.

Got my 2.1's over 10 years ago and they still sound brilliant. The bass is phenomenal and the satellite speakers aren't too shabby either. Highly recommended. 

May 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 7
I have a Logitech Z-2300 system, but I replaced the satellites with the Klipsch ProMedia satellites. If your Mum's system happens to be the Z-2300, I would recommend getting the Klipsch satellites, it is a big improvement for a low cost. I've never hear the Klipsch sub, maybe it would be better to just get the whole system anyway.

May 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 7
  Hey pals,

I'm looking to upgrade my Mom's 2.1 Logitech speakers. I want to use them for 50% music and 50% movies. I don't want the bass to overwhelm (you know that one-note bass that sticks out and makes dialogue unintelligible). I've heard about the Swan M10s and Klipsch Promedia 2.1. On that note, the M10s have a hefty shipping fee to Canada and are on backorder, and the Klipsch, I have a feeling, still have their reputation from the old days as bass thumpers. I'd prefer a set like the M10s, which are more musical. I'm open as well to active powered speakers as long as they accept optical or the analogue outputs of a motherboard. No more than $200 please. A2 and AV40 of course are popular...

Thanks for any ideas.

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 comes with a control knob for the sub-woofer.
Lots of used sets on eBay.
Check your local Bestbuy (if there is one) and see if it's on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back