Looking for ~150$ headphones for psychedelic and prog music
Aug 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
As in the title, I listen to mostly progressive and psychedelic music, and looking for full-sized headphones that will give best quality and comfort with this budget.
The design is less important for me.
I've been thinking about the Sennheiser HD-518.
What do you think about them? Is there a more cost-effective pair for my needs?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 8
first of all Prog is the ****.

second, good luck, you will probably end up with 5+ headpohnes in a year from now and still looking.

You will need phones that are able to be very articulate, and not overwhelming bass, prog is a lot about the fast shifting passages and to enjoy the technicities, you need a headphone capable of reproducing this without sounding fat or slow. from my fullsized phones, the Fischer FA003 does this for me. and also the AKG K240.... and the HD25 but its an on-ear.

as of IEMs, the sony EX600 is perfect for my kind of music.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Another vote for the AKG K240. The AKG airiness is great for psych music. I listen to a lot of psych music from the 60's and 70's, and the K240 is always fun sounding with that genre. Even Ennio Morricone's more psych sounding soundtracks from the 70's sound absolutely awesome on the K240. 

Maybe more garage than psych, but The Stooges sound incredible on the K240.

I'm listening to The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band on the K240, and they sound great to me.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 8
For some reason, I feel this need to recommend the Fischer Audio FA-011s whenever I come across a thread like this. 

They're just great headphones. They're really engaging and "full". I own the HD650s and HE400s, and I still go back to my FA-011s occasionally, they're like a guilty pleasure for me. Seriously, if you can find a pair somewhere, try them out and your mind will be blown.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Another vote for the AKG K240. The AKG airiness is great for psych music. I listen to a lot of psych music from the 60's and 70's, and the K240 is always fun sounding with that genre. Even Ennio Morricone's more psych sounding soundtracks from the 70's sound absolutely awesome on the K240. 

Maybe more garage than psych, but The Stooges sound incredible on the K240.

I'm listening to The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band on the K240, and they sound great to me.

I thought the K240 was a little blurry, personally. It likes to smooth over all the details so that nothing sounds bad, but it's not very articulate.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I thought the K240 was a little blurry, personally. It likes to smooth over all the details so that nothing sounds bad, but it's not very articulate.

I think its detail retrieval isn't bad for the price and it never sounds blurry to me. Weird how we all hear things differently. 
tongue_smile.gif

The K240 reminds me of the comfy beat up chair you just can't throw out. I like fun sounding headphones for psych, soul, funk, and some jazz. The K240 is a fun sounding headphone to me.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I think its detail retrieval isn't bad for the price and it never sounds blurry to me. Weird how we all hear things differently. 
tongue_smile.gif

The K240 reminds me of the comfy beat up chair you just can't throw out. I like fun sounding headphones for psych, soul, funk, and some jazz. The K240 is a fun sounding headphone to me.

Fun, definitely. I really liked it for recordings that weren't the best; somehow it made everything sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back