Looking for 1000$ Closed-back reference headphones
May 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

josese

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Sennheiser 360 pro and I have to say for a 50$ pair of headphones they're quite impressive, but now I'm looking for a better pair of cans because I'm building a home studio for recording vocals and I need some help because I'm not an expert.
What pair of headphones do you recommend?

May 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 11
If they have to be closed, I would say to look into an alpha dog for vocals. They seemed pretty neutral when I listened to them, which made them slightly boring TO ME. However they did mids very well and are closed back. You might want to look into the alpha prime which is more expensive but can be had for under $1000, but I've never heard them.

May 17, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 11
May I add that the Alpha Primes are currently $200 off, as MrSpeakers is discontinuing the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog lines of headphones. They are truly excellent headphones, and at $800 they are a steal. 

May 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Damn. For home recording and mixing I'd recommend the Marshall Monitors for about $115.................absolutely perfect for home recording and leakage is non existent when you do vocals. 

I've made over 200 records over 30+years........Alpha Primes definitely sound 10,000X better than Marshall Monitors (I have a pair of Alpha Dogs and they sound 10,000X better, but for studio recording get the Marshalls!). 

If you want to have fun I'd recommend Alpha Primes, Audeze LCD2's, Fostex TH-600's or Fostex TH 900's, well, not exactly the 600's because the leakage is almost as bad as open cans......................

But the simple fact is if you mix with just about any high end audiophile headphones, your mixes will sound great only on your setup and those headphones. If your mix sounds great on the Marshalls they will sound great anywhere. Very accurate bass and soundstage, and they were made for pro recording; audiophile headphones are made for sounding sweet, soundstage are exaggerated and highs are thin, so most mixes using them will turn out dull and muddy. 

So my suggestion? Alpha Primes or Fostex TH-600's for fun, AND the Marshall Monitors for work.....you'll still come in under $1000.

*edit* with ANY high end headphone you'll need an amp/DAC, so I'd suggest the Aune T1 mk2 ($165) which is both an amp AND a DAC, The Fostex TH-600's($599) and Marshall Monitors ($115-150), you'll come in under $1000 and still have enough left for a good tube for the Aune

May 17, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 11
It's not a myth I have them too, the TH-600's leak BAD if you're talking about recording and just compare them to Marshall Monitors yourself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back