Looking desperately for a replacement for one Creative Audigy Player sound card
May 11, 2020 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tyco72

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
I am looking desperately for a PCI-E replacement for my glorious Creative Audigy Player, working since 18 years, which has some problems because of its old drivers (both with Win7 and 10)

I have just bought a Sounblaster-Z. It works but... the sound is not so clean and natural as with he old Audigy player. I have disabled all the effects, but anyway it always emphasizes a bit the low frequencies and the fine details of the sound are less clear and defined than with the audigy. Also when recording HI-FI audio, the sound is slightly less defined and less close to the original than with the audigy player. Are fine differences, but for me are enough. I have wasted 71€.

Now I don't want waste again 100€ or more for another board. I hope that someone can advice me a good card.

Here what I need:
1) Recording quality good at least as my old Audigy player, through the line-in input.
2) Ability to record audio "on the fly" (source "What you hear") to grab audio directly from youtube or playing videos.
3) If possible, the DSP sholud not acquire always locked at 48kHz, as it is on the Audigy player and Sounblaster-Z. It gives artifacts with some music. I would like acquire at 44.1 kHz/16bit directly, without internal resampling.
4) If possible, SPDIF optical input.

What I don't use:
Surround, effects, 5.1 or 7.1, gaming features.

If I have understood well, also the Audigy Player FX/RX should have the sampling locked at 48kHz. Fort the rest, could the FX/RX have the same sound and recording quality of my old Audigy?

The SoundBlaster ZxR is quite expensive, and if has the same playback quality of the "Z", and is locket at 48kHz, is not an option.

The soundblasterX AE-5 looks to be made too much for "gaming sound", but I don't know.
My requirement is only a very clean and natural sound (2 channels) in playback and recording.
I don't know about the quality and drivers' features of the Asus boards.

Many thanks to anyone would help me!

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 6
I vote Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card.

May 12, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you all for the replies.

About the Sound BlasterX AE-5, can you tell me if it tends to empathize the bass frequencies also with all effects/EQ disabled? Do you know whether does the DSP sample always at 48kHz, like on the Soundblaster Z?

I didn't know EVGA cards. It has interesting features but it es very hard top find now in Germany and for not overpriced price (250€!). Can you tell me something about the quality of the line-in input and recording quality? Does it has the "what your hear" input source?

I prefer an internal card because of space reasons. I also don't trust the stability of the USB bus when recording audio (though it may not be a problem with modern cards)
An additional usb sound is certainly an option if it there is one with an SPDIF digital input.
As main sound card, it would be the last choice. Can also an USB card record from the "what your hear" source, or is it possible only with internal cards? Anyway, which USB card would you suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back