Looking at Beyer DT770 and Alessandro MS-1??
Mar 30, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by porfryrieggwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want headphones to please my all around musical taste.

This is the most frustrating hobby I have ever decided to get into lol.

I honestly liked the Bose, but I knew there was something better out there $/quality wise. Still can't find it.

Whatever you do. Don't buy Bose. Ever.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 41
It might be important to add they will be listened through my on-board computer line out.

And sometimes on my Ipod Classic.

Only because I always feel too lazy to stick UE SF5pros in my ears when i want to just laydown.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #20 of 41
I own both the DT 770 and the MS-1, and if I had to choose one, I would go with the MS-1. The MS-1 is definitely serviceable for movies, and I find the mids on the beyers to be too recessed in comparison. Also, the beyers can be difficult to drive, so if you're just using your onboard sound, the MS-1 will perform better.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 41
I'd say the MS-1s are better for movies and games than the DT770s are for music. I've watched a lot of movies and played a lot of games with my SR-60s. Though Grados don't have an enormously wide soundstage, I actually prefer them for games because they place you right there. The same with movies. The only downside is that when you've got a lot of sounds going all at once, it can get hard to differentiate between them with Grados, thus leading to missed lines of dialogue on occasion. And some people just like a wide soundstage because it's more theatrical. At any rate, the DT770s are terribly inaccurate phones. In the $200 range, you should look at the AKG K601, the Ultrasone HFI-580, the Denon AH-D2000 and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #22 of 41
Anything from the Senn 280 pro's $75 on ebay.... to DT770's or practically anything else are better than the Bose triports. They were light and comfy, I'll give them that, but no true low bass or crisp highs.

To be safe, get the Senn 280 pros and save money. I've already owned many lower end models of cans.

The beyers being the best at $158.

Audio technica M40fs I got for cheap, only $85 many years ago. They are much too tight and solid for me to wear after getting used to the 280 pro's though.

I tried the AT M50's though, but they are more money but I can wear those. They are on ear, but the cushions extra soft and real leather I think.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #23 of 41
The Sennheiser 280 Pros are like the inverse of the DT770s. They have NO bass below 200hz. Equally bad depending upon your perspective. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. There are a lot of much better phones than the 280 Pros and the DT770s in the price range.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 41
The Senns had accurate bass just not LOW bass like the DT770's and there isn't much better than the Beyers at $158, you obviously just don't like them or the 280 pros. That's ok....but you are claiming they are junk. I've read everything there is to read about the DT770's and you're opinion is about 5% of people who didn't like them and paid more for them. Heck, I am probably 5-10% of people who hate the V6/7506 Can's simply because I cannot wear them but I wasn't happy with the initial sound as I am the DT770's either. Their bass was no where near as capable and they sounded sibilance....spell check that for me.

I liked both for different reasons. Both hands down beat the Sony V6/7506.

Go into the Beyerdynamic love thread and see how many love the DT770's.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #25 of 41
Yeah I see what you guys mean. I made a DIRECT comparision of the senn 280s and DT770s out of the same exact CD/amp unit (w/e the guy had at my music shop). THey both sounded great, but the 280s were very uncomfortable, and i dont have a big head. Other than that, to my surprise I did not hear a HUGE difference between the two. Call me crazy, Even the audio tech gave me a "well god help you" gasp, but they do still sound better and are WAYY more comfortable.

Other options in the same range you say? 70-150 is what im aiming for.

Anything higher will probably make no difference coming directly out of my computer.

All styles of music from Classical Orchestra to Trance, throwing in some movies here an there.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #26 of 41
I really wish I could just test it them all out but I just dont have that option. That is why I keep working at the best choice. I have only tried the Senn 280pro, DT770, and Bose Triports. So I dont have much to compare with between them.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #27 of 41
If it's in your price range it may be worthwhile to check out the Ultrasone HFi-780s (retail $250). From what members have said, these phones have a powerful, punchy, and tight bass with softer trebles than the Grados. These are actually the pair of phones that I will get when finances permit. They're also easy to drive and are sealed, so you won't bother a roommate and can block out noise pollution.

They're regarded as some of the best metal cans and have an amazing low end without sacrificing too much in the details. Also, on the Ultrasone homepage, the HFi-780s are described as "home theater headphones" for use with movies and gaming. I haven't read any members' testimonies on their ability to play nice with movies and games, but I assume they're pretty good at that too.

And finally, if you send your stock HFi-780s into aloaudio.com they can do the ALO mod and make the phones sound like Edition 9s (retail $1500). That right there is what sold me on these. So if you want more from your phones, you can simply upgrade them rather than the more expensive route of buying a new pair/amp.

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #28 of 41
Personally I own a Grado Sr225 with wood cups and recable and a pair of DT770 Pro. I like both headphones. They have a different purpose and I equally like both headphones.

JWFokker stop claiming certain headphones are junk because you don't like it. Everyone has a different taste and headphones that are not accurate doesn't mean it sucks. It's whatever the person wants to hear. State your 2 cent and move on. You don't have to zealously demote certain headphones.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by porfryrieggwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wish I could just test it them all out but I just dont have that option. That is why I keep working at the best choice. I have only tried the Senn 280pro, DT770, and Bose Triports. So I dont have much to compare with between them.

Yea, you see, that seems strange to me because my 280's are 4+ years old, so I assume they are really, really burned in and have lost their grasp tension so they are more comfortable to me right at this stage than the DT 770's.

However, I do recall not being able to wear the Senn's very long at first either. The Audio Technica M40fs I could only stand for an hour for an entire year, maybe 2 at the most. The Senn's pads have worn down to where I like them so I am fully biased on the comfort. The DT 770's out of the box though are still comfortable and I can wear them for 4 hours easy, but then I need a break for about 30-45 minutes before I go back. The Sony's, the 7506, were so painful, that I didn't ever want to wear them again after 2 days.

The Bose Triports are very light and comfortable, but they are not worth the money they cost. The headband is very weak and I'm betting that helps the comfort level. The sounds of any quality headphone....whether it be the Ultrasones, Senn 280's or DT 770's are miles above the Bose in every way. I'd probably have bought the Bose if they were say $40-50 but I'd have been depre4ssed about the purchase because I really can't stand Bose.

The HFi-780s are really nice looking and make nice claims, I'd really like to hear some myself and make a direct comparison, and I like the MOD that makes them comparable to those $1500 edition 9's, but they were far out of my price range. I really didn't want to spend more than $100 but I also didn't want 2 pairs of Senn 280's. They still work so.... On my PC, the Senn's do not generate anywhere near the low end of the DT 770's. Trance would be awesome for these cans. They need more volume, but with my X-fi, I have alot of headroom that perhaps some other people do not have without a seperate amp.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 41
I started my headphone journey with the DT770, but after getting the MS1, it was clear I had to get rid of the boombeyer. I also once owned the MS2 and sold it, and I tested my buddy's MS Pro (not that impressive) - Guess I'll keep the MS1 for forever. Most fun, no fatigue, best genre bandwidth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back