Looking at a music PC
Jul 29, 2007 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

potato28

Head-Fier
I'm looking at making an exclusive PC for just audio usage. I don't know if the components make a difference, as the audio will be passed through to a emu 0404 USB, but any suggestions would be helpful. I'll be using Amarock and Ubunatu for the OS for maximum audio quality. This will be my source, as CD players are too expensive, along with the amp, and I really won't be looking into vinyl for a few years. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are connecting the 0404USB to your computer check that there are drivers available for your OS.

Looks like most of the DAC's in my price range don't support Linux... the 0404 PCI has ASLA drivers, but the USB hasn't had much progress. Edit: Could the 0404 work without the drivers?

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 8
No it cannot work without drivers. I would suggest since you didn't know this you are not a hardcore computer geek and Linux is not the appropriate OS for you.
"Maximum sound quality" will be attained from any working setup of the 0404USB using ASIO.
A dedicated computer is rarely justfied: why not use if for other things as well? And would it be better than a Squeezebox? (Yes if you want to do any DSP.)
The main consideration when building a PC for audio will be noise, so make sure you know how to choose components to minimize this.

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main consideration when building a PC for audio will be noise, so make sure you know how to choose components to minimize this.

Seconded, get a low noise power supply and low noise processor fan along with a fanless graphics card.. Don't need much of a graphics card to play music.

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Noise wise id recommend case with 120mm fans only and motherboard look at the chipset cooler, look for something with passive/heat pipes versus fans. Right now I have a system plaguing me with a very loud chipset fan. Computer is few feet from me and much louder than the computer directly beside me with a 8800, 120mm case fans/cpu fan.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seconded, get a low noise power supply and low noise processor fan along with a fanless graphics card.. Don't need much of a graphics card to play music.

I put together a system using a Sonata case, a fanless video card, and a fanless power supply for this purpose. It is absolutely wonderful.

W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back