Look what the cat dragged in!!
Nov 20, 2012 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gikigill

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Headfi,

Just got a box in the mail for a very rare still-in-the-box find.

My photography shows I am not too hot with a camera but enjoy the pics and a review shall follow.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 14
:: such untouched and unspoiled beauty in it's pastoral state ::

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 14
I picked it up from eBay. The seller had one and only piece since decades.

I,m saving up for a SR-007 and the SR-5 is going back in the box.

Its too good to be true that you can find one of these unpacked today.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 14
rather natty.

Jealous sir. 

I'm just wondering how they managed to stay that lovely shade of white/cream all these years?! 

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 14
You can rent him. I.ll throw in the other one for 50% off.

Back to headphones, I let them play at a low volume for an hour and then started listening at medium-low levels.

They still have it!

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 14
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 14
I'm borrowing a set of SR-5s from a friend who's had them in the box for most of their life (!!) and they look in similar condition.

You said yours are going back into the box?  Why is that?  Do you not like them?  I've found the pair I'm borrowing to be Mid-heavy and Low-light.  I expected the low end to be light, but the mids stick out like a sore thumb.  I'm trying to figure out if that's normal for the SR-5s or not.  I'm also looking for someone who's used them with an ES OTL amp (read: direct drive, without the SRD-6) and if that affects the frequency response problems.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 14
I love them a lot but would like to preserve a piece of history so these are going back in the box.

The bass is a bit light but I power them off a vintage amp with bass/treble controls and they shine in most songs.

The bass has to be tuned at the amp really well to get the most out of these. I am also saving up for an ES amp, probably STAX and would be happy to share my experience with these once I get

the amp.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am also saving up for an ES amp, probably STAX and would be happy to share my experience with these once I get the amp.

Any luck finding an amp for the SR-5s?  I'm really curious to know how they sound being directly driven instead of going through the transformer box.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
I'd like to borrow your cat please

tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back