Look What I Found! / Koss Warranty :)
Jun 11, 2005 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
A few weeks ago my mom showed me the headphones she used in the 70's. They were the Koss Pro/4AA's. I didn't know much about them, but after looking around on the Kos website I found out they started selling them again a few years ago, and that they are covered by Koss' lifetime warranty! My mom's headphones had flattened pads (gel filled pads), ripped off headband pad, recabled (but non-functional). I figured I would at least try out the Koss warranty to get a functional pair of $100 headphones.

After reading some reviews on Amazon.com, which stated that Koss had repaired 20+ year old Pro/4AA's under their lifetime warranty. I sent them in with a check to cover the return shipping, and hoped I heard back from them.

A week or two later there was a package at my house. I opened it to find that Koss had indeed repaired them, and they looked great. They replaced the earpads, headband pad, all cables and the left side earcup. The invoice did not say they replaced the drivers, so I assume they still are using the 25+ year old drivers.

Here's a couple pictures of them:

kosspro4aa0013zv.jpg

Left Side

kosspro4aa0023yu.jpg

Right Side

You can sort of tell that the left side earcup is slightly darker than the right side. They look very good, and it was all covered under warranty.

Since they use the 1/4" plug I had to find a 1/8" adapter. After I found one, I plugged them into my Pocket Amp 2 V2, which was plugged into my iPod. They sound very clear and pretty well balanced. If I push the earcups against my ears they become pretty bassy, but with normal wearing they sound quite flat. They are not very loud, and if I turn up the Pocket Amp past about 50% it starts to distort. Straight out of the iPod they're not very loud even with the volume all the way up.

My main complaint about these headphones is their extreme weight. This causes the headband to get somewhat uncomfortable (for me) after a pretty short period of time.

Overall, I think they're a good sounding headphone (with plenty of isolation), but comfort issues would stop me from using them very often. And Koss' warranty is GREAT!!!!

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 27
Yeah, what're they made of? Looks like some kind of heavy-duty ceramic or something
blink.gif

Anyway, nice job on the warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 27
Koss rocks!!! Ive been meaning to send in my pro4x plus.... This is the motivation I need!!
Garrett

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Yeah, what're they made of? Looks like some kind of heavy-duty ceramic or something
blink.gif

Anyway, nice job on the warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

It was or is a kind of rubbery but hard plastic resin. They have been making these bad boys for a lot of years.

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 27
The Koss logo looks so pretty, and its even color coordinated.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 27
I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't just pull a new pair off the shelf and send them to you. I would think, with labor costs to repair them, that just sending out new phones as a replacement would be more cost effective for the company.

Chris

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 27
Wow. That's a great story. It is great to hear when companies keep their customers happy.
icon10.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 27
I saw a pair when I was trying on headphones in J&R in NYC.

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeegeek
I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't just pull a new pair off the shelf and send them to you. I would think, with labor costs to repair them, that just sending out new phones as a replacement would be more cost effective for the company.

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Nice story....now, that's a company that stands by its product. Kudos to Koss!

double kudos to Koss!

how much did those retail for in the 70's?

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
What??? Koss has replacement parts for headphones from the 70's? I'm amazed...

I think Koss re-released these a few years ago, but now it seems they only sell the Pro-4AAT (titanium).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeegeek

Chris

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that people may find a pair of headphones this old have some sort of nostalgia, and they were nice enough to keep as much as the origional as possible.

Or they may have a policy to fix whenever they can. I was actually hoping for a NIB pair, but these work perfectly, so I was pretty impressed.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 27
It really is amazing that they just replaced the parts on those. Really, a new pair of those costs something like $49, so they must cost them significantly less. It might have even been more expensive to have a tech installing new cables and checking things out. It really kind of makes me wish that Koss was a high end headphone maker as well, with a competing product to the 650 and RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back