Look! My New Koss Plugs (modded)
Jul 18, 2002 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

There's attached pic of new version of Koss The Plugs, just modded for ideal! fit into my ear canal. Look for the type of foam earplugs here too!

Want to know more?

JUST ASK ME! - Questions are welcomed.

Moonwalker

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 14
Looks like exactly what I need to fairly evaluate these babies.

In my ear, the standard pads partially crush the sound tube down, resulting in a muffled sound. As a result they've sat largely unused.

What are the pads?

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi Magicthyse!

The pads are much more resistant to damage, expand MUCH SLOWER and fit in ear without pain!

They are the only ones (I tried 3 types) which need to burn hole through them many times (the material on the others just evaporates), not so here: they only turn black a bit and the hot wire stops inside the foam. But when it's complete, they lasted my wife for 5 months of nearly everyday use! I used pen cartridge to make the final hole stable and to ensure the pesssure won't destroy the soft acoustic tube on the new Plugs.

So, the pads are very good, the best you could wish.

Your
Moonwalker

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 14
sorry to be completely off-topic here, but every time I see a post by Magicthyse my brain reads his nick as being pronounced "magic thighs"
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
sorry to be completely off-topic here, but every time I see a post by Magicthyse my brain reads his nick as being pronounced "magic thighs"
frown.gif

(Shows hairy thighs for Snufkin's benefit)
eek.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Moonwalker
Hi Magicthyse!

The pads are much more resistant to damage, expand MUCH SLOWER and fit in ear without pain!

They are the only ones (I tried 3 types) which need to burn hole through them many times (the material on the others just evaporates), not so here: they only turn black a bit and the hot wire stops inside the foam. But when it's complete, they lasted my wife for 5 months of nearly everyday use! I used pen cartridge to make the final hole stable and to ensure the pesssure won't destroy the soft acoustic tube on the new Plugs.

So, the pads are very good, the best you could wish.

Your
Moonwalker

Errr... Looks like a lot of work. Perhaps I'll try it. Maybe.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 14
OK, but how do they sound?

I'd tried several different mods (from those posted at HeadWize) to assist with the sound of the Plugh. Almost every mod helped, but none could overcome the basic limitation of the headphone.... they still didn't sound good. The mods just made them sound less bad.

Bruce

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 14
i tried them at the store and about gagged!!
eek.gif
i took crammed them back into the packaging and handed them over as if they hadnt been used... i got a radio instead, because they didnt have any other decent headphones at the time... i didnt know about the mods tho

Jul 22, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi BDA_ABAT!
Quote:

OK, but how do they sound?

Well, I tried several sizes of foam pieces and I'm using compressed foam of 15mm original diameter, height about 5mm.

I found the more damping in the small enclosure, the less bass and more mids and smoother highs. The new version with removable soft tube sounds better overall, but not by much. Some people say if too much foam is applied, the sound becomes muddy and also that augment bass - WRONG! I found any foam on back side of diaphragm tame bass, not augment it! And the size of the foam 15mm circle 5mm high is the biggest I could put in the enclosure and securely close it. Bigger tend to self-open the enclosures.

Still, the bass is much more presented than ideal and the vocals seems to come from distance, but for my subway trips, nothing better for the cheap money could be found. My KSC-35 sounds better, but in noisy environment, the sound becomes much more degraded on them than the not so good, but isolated sound of the Plugs.

Your
Moonwalker

Jul 23, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 14
Hi!

<No one else..?.. O.K..>

I let my wife's old Plugs repaired after some 20 months of use.
Paid 200Kc (that's 6$) and got new ones with soft tube!
biggrin.gif

I wasn't happy with very poor matching of the Plugs drivers. They produced more midbass on one side, one driver has massive peak at 3200Hz, second driver at 5100Hz and the highs on one channel were like inverse of the other one. The sound of sweep sine moved wildly several times from left to right ear etc. When I had two pairs of the same Plugs (my new one from Koss repair shop and one week old pair I purchased recently) I tested (by ears and mike) and found drivers with as close match as possible.

Now I desoldered/soldered drivers and my wife and me have much better matched sound in our Plugs. They sound almost as coherent (I mean L & R symmetry here) like my HD-600s and MDR-F1s.

I asked the guy in the repair shop and he told me there's no matching in entire Koss production line! So, if your Koss phones sound good balanced and matched, it's luck, not law. The drivers themselves in Portas, KSC-35, MAC-8 and Plugs differ quite a lot each other. So, even better sound can be obtained having several pairs of the same phone
very_evil_smiley.gif
and search for the best match of drivers in that bunch.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Your
Moonwalker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back