Long time solid state user, contemplating valves
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
For a long while now I have used a solid state headphone amplfier, and have been relatively happy with the performance of the one I have, an ANT Amber. For anyone who has not heard of that amp, its basically a $400 class headphone amp, a Class A design. I am using it to power my HD600s, which it does pretty well to my ears.

However, I have read quite a few times from certain posters that folks who use the Sennheisers have not heard what they are capable of until they have tried a decent valve amplifier.

True or not?

Now, I listen to a lot of dance and electronic music, and the type of sound I like is quite a smooth, warm sound, but not at the expense of detail, or brightness. I like my bass too, but I would not tolerate a "slow" bass. Basically I like my kit to do the PRaT thing (pace rythym and timing).

Could a valve amplifier deliver this?

I have read much about the likes of the Little Dot MkIVse and Darkvoice 336. How would these class of amps compare with a typical ~ $400 solid state design?

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 7
another good choice to add a little tube (valve) sound to your system would be a tube DAC like the Paradisea...

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 7
More like buy one, and then buy tubes...then more tubes...then MORE tubes...

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 7
A good valve amplifier can definitely deliver the PRaT that you are looking for. The high impedence Senns mate very well with OTL valve amps. While I have not heard the Little Dot or DV amps with the Senns the DV ampps certainly get rave reviews for mating with the 600. I can also highly recommend Ray Samuels Raptor valve amp. It does a great job driving my 650s. Plently of PRaT with that combination.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like buy one, and then buy tubes...then more tubes...then MORE tubes...

Tubes, tubes, tubes, tubes.

A hybrid setup would give you the best of both. As mentioned above, a tube dac into a ss amp will give you the warm tube sound with the impact of ss.

I was a ss person my whole musical listening career. My first tube amp hooked me. People say they are slow, little bass, high maintenance, etc. I call BS. You can tube roll an amp for any hp and any taste. Including fast, detailed, bass heavy.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, I have read quite a few times from certain posters that folks who use the Sennheisers have not heard what they are capable of until they have tried a decent valve amplifier.

True or not?

Now, I listen to a lot of dance and electronic music, and the type of sound I like is quite a smooth, warm sound, but not at the expense of detail, or brightness. I like my bass too, but I would not tolerate a "slow" bass. Basically I like my kit to do the PRaT thing (pace rythym and timing).

Could a valve amplifier deliver this?

I have read much about the likes of the Little Dot MkIVse and Darkvoice 336. How would these class of amps compare with a typical ~ $400 solid state design?

True ... but the is the case for several headphones. I much prefer Grados with tubes.

Tube amps I am familair with seem quicker and more rhythmic than SS I have owned and used in the past. Tubes are not slow and they are also not to fast anD hyper like some SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back