Long hiatus: any new closed headphones as bright and detailed as T90, K701, MDR-V6 ?
Jun 12, 2019 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

alpha80

500+ Head-Fier
Title says it all!

Anything closed thats BRIGHTER than my K812 made in austria (but just as detailed) which i found just a tiny hint too warm ?

I love my T90 Jubilee, love my K701/Q701/K812, but I don't get many hours on any of them, maybe only the T90 has over 100hours. I simply use closed waaaay more often.

While I do like my Sony MDR-V6 (its got 1000's of more hours than my open phones since I like to work late nights at home off MacbookPro), it's soundstage is very small, and it's detail can't mess with T90 or K812 ....

Any CLOSED BACK advice for a long time member just checking back in after several years hiatus ?
Price is no issue, thanks in advance fellas !!!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 6
If you don’t mind a little gold n plastic with your cans I’d go with a pair of Shure SRH940. I had one back when I was mad as moccasins and craved brightness in headphones :p I also had a K701 which I always thought of when listening to the Shures. I can’t imagine a fan of the bright AKG sound not loving the 940s.
More of a Denon fan when it comes to closedbacks these days, but talking about the 940 just now makes me want to buy another. Damn this hobby is cuckoo...

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I'll check them out, thanks!
Shure makes great needles, so I assume their headphones may be higher quality than their relative lack of hype in the headphone game warrants.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD820, and AKG K872, and was very dissapointed by pronounced dips in the frequency response in each, I was hoping the HD820 would have the same FR as the HD800S, but alas, here i am searching for other recommendations.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 6
What about T5p from beyerdynamic if you like those beyer treble mountains.

Also look into audiotechnica higher end closed backs from Ath1000z and up
There is the new Ath-Ap2000Ti
Not many impressions/measuements out there but the reviewer in the video used to run his own youtube channel with some good reviews. Works at minidisc now though.

MrSpeakers Ether CX or Ether C Flow are very detailed though not as bright as beyers. They have that transparent sound with good stage.

On lower end Ath Msr7 and Akg 553 just good close backs that are neutral to slightly bright depending on tolerances but have better stage that the sony. They are very good performers at their price point.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 6
I would look at the Fostex X00 and if wanting to spend more and receive more try the Fostex TH-900 .

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I think the tonality of the 872’s is very close to the 812’s and not sure what dip you mean don’t pay a not of attention to graphs for the most part unless you have heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back