Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Feb 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #496 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't bother reading all of 33 pages....

So, does it works really?

To the extent that if you prefer listening to music or movies on high quality speakers (assuming you get a good calibration) as opposed to traditional headphones, it will destroy any headphone setup right up to and including the Orpheus,.........which I think qualifies as working.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #497 of 2,910
I just thought of something that would be just stunning (wishful thinking but stunning nonetheless)! What if Smyth made a Realiser module that would fit in the HiFi-Man 801? Geez Louise, with the JH-16Pro, fuggettabouttit! I can't imagine that any price no object full-sized headphone system would beat this portable combo.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #498 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought of something that would be just stunning (wishful thinking but stunning nonetheless)! What if Smyth made a Realiser module that would fit in the HiFi-Man 801? Geez Louise, with the JH-16Pro, fuggettabouttit! I can't imagine that any price no object full-sized headphone system would beat this portable combo.

I do imagine this would sound amazing. However, in my application, I prefer wide open headphones to further the experience of emulating speakers. When my wife and I watch movies on our Stax systems we can easily talk to eachother during dialogue scenes and can't hear a word eachother are saying during action scenes. Just like the real thing! I also enjoy being able to hear room noises and things going on. To me, the Stax 404LE's are the perfect combo for what I am going for.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #499 of 2,910
Well it finally happened. I had the IR transmitter plugged in for charging which of course sticks out of the front of the unit. A friend of mine tripped and whacked the IR transmitter with her leg as she stumbled into the entertainment center. Now the transmitter will not charge. Sent it back to see if Lorr could fix it. Hopefully it's just a damaged transmitter (though I have a feeling the USB port is also damaged). Can't afford another $3k at this time
frown.gif

Realiser V2.0 should have the transmitter flush with the front face.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #500 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would it help to use a USB extension cable that has a right-angled male connector?

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #501 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it finally happened. I had the IR transmitter plugged in for charging which of course sticks out of the front of the unit. A friend of mine tripped and whacked the IR transmitter with her leg as she stumbled into the entertainment center. Now the transmitter will not charge. Sent it back to see if Lorr could fix it. Hopefully it's just a damaged transmitter (though I have a feeling the USB port is also damaged). Can't afford another $3k at this time
frown.gif

Just get a new transmitter and charge it via any other usb outlet. All the USB output does on the Realiser is supply power. All should be fine otherwise.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #502 of 2,910
I was hoping that I would be reading a lot more reviews and experiences with the Smyth Realiser. While everyone is talking about the HD800, T1, and JH-16 Pro, it seems to be that the most revolutionary engineering feat is the Smyth Realiser. If I had the money, I would get it. Hopefully, Smyth SVS could lend one out to the Head-Fi meet in NYC in March so more people can get a handle on its capabilities.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #503 of 2,910
Lots of things have already been said about the Realiser.
What exactly would you like to know ?

Ask me the questions you wonder, and I'll try to give you answers
regular_smile .gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #505 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a new transmitter and charge it via any other usb outlet.

The Realiser has a mini USB port on the rear, so maybe that one could be used with an adapter.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #507 of 2,910
I did a "One" calibration at the weekend with my Def Tech Protower 400 which has an inbuilt subwwofer. As I am feeding my Realiser directly from the analog outputs of my player that created a problem. The "One" is an 8.0 calibration, i.e. it will not recognise the SW channel in the normal setting. I need control over the sw to boost LFE by 10db which receivers/amplifiers do as a matter of course. If I send the full signal including LFE to the 8.0 channels the LFE won't be boosted.

I got great e-mail support from Stephen Smyth and Steve Cheung. For now I have relabelled the Realiser SW channel to be the CB channel from the 8.0 setup, and in that way I can boost the level by 10db. (I fed the SW output from the player to the renamed CB channel on the Realiser) The downside with this is that the Camarillo setting and any future standard calibrations won't have the SW channel engaged. (I'd like to be able to do a quick A/B with Camarillo) I'm going to e-mail my PRIR file to Stephen and he will change the CB channel assignment on the "One" calibration to SW so that I can use the Realiser with the standard channel assignments and listen to other presets. This will also probably lead to a change in future firmware versions to give the choice to have a subwoofer channel assigned when you do a "one" measurement.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #508 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For now I have relabelled the Realiser SW channel to be the CB channel from the 8.0 setup, and in that way I can boost the level by 10db.

Do you notice that the SW sounds are coming from behind you (from the CB location), or are the frequencies so low that they are not locatable?

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #509 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you notice that the SW sounds are coming from behind you (from the CB location), or are the frequencies so low that they are not locatable?

So far, I've only watched/listened to a 15 minute thx demo disc with various movie clips and wasn't conscious of the direction the LFE was coming from.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #510 of 2,910
Woot! My Realiser is on the mend and they're just waiting for a part. And the best part is even though the damage was due to clumsiness, it's a no charge fix. Again, I say woot!
smily_headphones1.gif
And I can't wait as I have a few new Blus sitting here waiting to be watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back