Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Dec 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #436 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I finally got around to plugging the Smyth into my reference 2-channel system. I had to get a cheap RCA > XLR box (to make the levels correct) since the Realiser is unbalanced.

Short story is, wow, this is pretty amazing. I am only using my measurement done in a 5.1 studio and the SDS/R10, but I have high hopes when I measure a reference 2.0 room it is gonna be awesome. I think the headphones do impart some sonic signature but I am primarily listening to the room where the measurement was done. Truly amazing technology.

For anyone stuck with headphones, this may be a viable solution for recreating a speaker environment.

For movies and headphones it is unbeatable.

It is very cool. And I'm just using the vanilla RCA cables out of the box vs. some better quality ones here.

I find that on 4.0 Surround material the 5.1 calibrations work best. But in some cases, the newer 5.1 recordings and movies actually sound more enveloping with the 7.1 calibrations! Strange but true.

The only area that is a miss so far is one of the stereo to 5.1 "upmixes" I found on the Internet. It didn't translate well at all. Must be something in the upmix software or technique.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #437 of 2,910
My gift is at home since Christmas, and what can I say ?
It's Wow
tongue_smile.gif

I've been testing it since one week, in every possible way.

I'll post a review asap.

But quickly :

- The Smyth Realiser is exceptional
The Smyth brothers made an amazing job. They can be proud of it.

- If you want really enjoy it, you need to copy a great instal.
No miracle here. If you copy a bad install, it's what you gonna get in your hear.
And the Realiser can't correct it

- To choose the perfect Headphone is very important.
The result between two headphones is impressive.

I'm still testing different cans (The Staxs don't have enough low frequency- important for movie), so I'll let you know when I'll find the perfect one.

happy_face1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #440 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh, wait until you get a PRIR customization done at a reference level studio. It will be even better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very true. Something for frenshprince to schedule in the New Year....
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #441 of 2,910
Thanks guys
k701smile.gif

Yes, a good PRIR would be perfect.
Unfortunately, it's not easy to find a good dedicated room around here.

I think I'll try to plan something with Lorr next time I'll be in LA.

But for now, it's about the headphone Quest
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #445 of 2,910
Jan 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #446 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gary Reber recently used his PRIR of the Skywalker Sound dubbing room while reviewing the Clone Wars Season 1 on Blu-ray.

Widescreen Review Webzine | Blu-ray Review | Star Wars: The Clone Wars—The Complete Season One Three-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition

See the two paragraphs in the Sound section.

Interesting! Now there's a room (Skywalker Ranch) I'd love to score a PRIR on. And since it's within driving distance for me, I'll have to chat with Lorr about that soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of PRIRs, I wonder if there's a way to get a PRIR or two from some of Gary Reber's sound rooms at WSR. That would also be pretty interesting.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #447 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in getting the Oppo BDP-83 SE as well. Interested in hearing if you notice a significant difference in audio quality.

-Ed

I've been pretty impressed so far with the SE upgrade on my Oppo BDP-83 player. It definitely improves the clarity and definition of the audio and it also sounds a bit quieter to my ears. More so than I expected.

For the slight difference in price, I'd definitely go for the BDP-83 SE over the stock BDP-83 Oppo if you're going to use the analog outputs with the Smyth Realiser.

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #448 of 2,910
This is my first post here.

Has anyone tried making a speaker/headphone calibration outside in the open?

For truly anechoic listening?

Getting a sample would be easier than actually setting up and listening to a 2-channel system outside (which is a wonderous experience as I hear)... because all you'd need to get a sample is the Smyth setup, an amp and one speaker to do a 6- or 7-channel sample. With someone else's lifting assistance, of course.

Endless possibilities.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #450 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to cancel my visit to the Egyptian/AIX/MiCasa next week for calibrations. Not happy about this.
frown.gif

I just got a call from my pal Harry Belafonte. Said he's kind of busy and won't be able to meet me at Carnegie Hall to do my SVS calibrations. I'll have to keep working my way down the list...

No, wait? You weren't kidding?!?! Man, some of you guys are really impressing me with your commitment to the cause! Seriously. Now I'm not joking. I think it's great that people are doing these sorts of things. I wish I had closer access to such places, but will have to wait until I'm traveling nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back