LOL. Bought some KSC-75s.
Mar 22, 2006 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
These things are good. They sound even better when I realized I paid only $20.

Why buy them when I have DT 770's and E4c's?

Beats me. Maybe because I wanted an inexpensive portable phone that sounded good?

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 20
Cool! Its only 20 bucks but it sounds like it should cost more.
biggrin.gif
Amp them with a 75 ohm adapter and you will be like this :
basshead.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 20
Got me pair for $12.99 and free shipping coming from Amazon.com. I am really looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about
eggosmile.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
You guys should have waited for the imminent Head-Fi/Koss Limited Edition KSC 75!
biggrin.gif

We can buy them to...

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 20
haha...actually i just got back from radioshack with a pair of KSC75's. I was hoping to find the $9.99 sale mentioned on them, but even at $23 they're too amazing to pass up. Needless to say I walked out with a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been wearing them a bit now, and doing direct comparisons (I know, not fair) with my Super.fi 5 Pros. Amazingly they stack up well, however there is a bit of an issue with detail which I'm wondering will improve or not through break in. :\ Tone, bass, warmth, decent seperation, it's all there. And they're LIGHT! Anyone know how burn-in effects these?

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Cool! Its only 20 bucks but it sounds like it should cost more.
biggrin.gif
Amp them with a 75 ohm adapter and you will be like this :
basshead.gif

did you make your own adapter or did you buy one? can you recommend a decent adapter? it's similar to the etymotic er4p->s cable, right?

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Why buy them when I have DT 770's and E4c's?

So how do they compare against the E4C? I'm thinking of using the KSC75 at work. I feel too defenseless using the E4C at work
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
did you make your own adapter or did you buy one? can you recommend a decent adapter? it's similar to the etymotic er4p->s cable, right?

No and no and I dont know any to recommend.
tongue.gif
Yes its like the p/s cable. When I bought some used er4's a little custom made adapter came with it. I dont know who made or nothing.
confused.gif
Sorry I cant help very much.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jas_kidd32
So how do they compare against the E4C? I'm thinking of using the KSC75 at work. I feel too defenseless using the E4C at work
biggrin.gif

Holy cow! That's what I felt, too. E4c has so much isolation that anyone could sneak up on me. I couldn't hear the phone ring - good thing it flashes red!

KSC-75 vs. E4c in a nutshell
Bass: More in the KSC-75, but it is relatively muddy. E4c has tighter bass that you can hear, but you can feel the bass in the KSC-75s.
Mids: No comparison. E4c wins by knockout. Of course, that's their strongest point, wouldn't you say?
Highs: Edge to E4c for having clear and detailed highs. The highs on the KSC-75 are somewhat curtailed and less "crisp."

The KSC-75 vs. DT 770/80 Pro
Bass: is prominent in KSC-75s, but for me the DT 770 has tighter, less muddy bass.
Mids: Recessed in both, but the DT 770s offer a bit more detail - probably improve a lot amped.
Highs: DT 770 has much more prominent highs. High hats, cymbals, tambourine, etc. are all lacking on the KSC-75.

But when you think about it, we're comparing a $20 clip-on vs. $250/$300 IEM vs. $199 closed can. These KSC-75s are the best thing I've heard in the price range, and it kicks the crap out of EX-71s and MDR-V300s from Sony, and those things are $50 'phones.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 20
TBAAM -> KSC75 does indeed sound pretty good, given the modest investment. I tried this earlier today for the heck of it, and liked the combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am enjoying the KSC75's in situations where I don't want to be cutoff from outside sounds, like when my kids are home playing and I'm listening to music on headphones. They are absolutely amazing for the price. As with the rest of my cans, they have their specific application in my listening portfolio.
biggrin.gif
I just wish the volume control was not on the RatShack version as it adds weight, but only slightly so.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 20
After hearing so much talk about using hole modded pads on the KSC75, I finally bought a pair of replacement pads at Radio Shack. I dug out a roughly quarter sized socket and a mallet and beat the hell out of them until a clean circular hole tore away from them. There is alot higher and cleaner highs with these pads. The bass also feels a little cleaned up and less sloppy. Not bad for $3 and a little work.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
After hearing so much talk about using hole modded pads on the KSC75, I finally bought a pair of replacement pads at Radio Shack. I dug out a roughly quarter sized socket and a mallet and beat the hell out of them until a clean circular hole tore away from them. There is alot higher and cleaner highs with these pads. The bass also feels a little cleaned up and less sloppy. Not bad for $3 and a little work.

Watch out for sonic fatigue with pad mods... if your ears start ringing, or you can't listen as long. That was the problem I had and ended up going back to stock pads on my Portapro2s.

I rather like the slightly veiled highs you get with unmodded pads, and to my ears the added "sparkle" with holes in the pads sounds incoherent, like it isn't properly integrated with the rest of the spectrum. Then again, I'm used to "audiophile flavor" cans like the HD580/DT880/K501 etc. and enjoy accuracy more than "wow factor."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back