Loki Mini Impressions
Mar 20, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #931 of 1,011
For example, I can check out AutoEq database for “recommended” EQ settings for lots of headphones and IEMs, replicate them exactly, and then tweak to my own taste. How would I do this with Loki?
Probably wouldn't be easy to dial in more exacting settings with only four knobs. I think the Loki is better suited to listening and tweaking with immediate feedback. It's not a big deal for me because I'm only making adjustments for one set of headphones (LCD2C) and one set of IEMs (Meze Rai Solo). I also feel it's more important to put EQ after the Multibit DACs in the chain for best results. Maybe the larger Loki will be better suited for your purposes when it's released.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #932 of 1,011
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #933 of 1,011
Should I add a tube preamp to the chain or get a Lyr 3 since I liked the Vali so much?

Give yourself time to enjoy it, before vaulting up to that level. Unless, of course, your money tree is in full bloom on this first day of Spring!

Cheers

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #934 of 1,011
Thanks for the write up, I'm nearly sold on Loki, but might wait to see what Schiit have in store for the Max version.

The one thing I can't quite wrap my head around is the fact that Loki Mini has just 4 fixed bands to apply EQ. I say “just” because the software EQ I'm using on my Mac provides N-band EQ with much finer control of gain, Q, and a lot of other options.

For example, I can check out AutoEq database for “recommended” EQ settings for lots of headphones and IEMs, replicate them exactly, and then tweak to my own taste. How would I do this with Loki?
You could add in EqualizerAPO / Peace and have an AutoEQ profile there, and attach a Loki as well for further tweaking as needed on a case by case basis. This is what I do

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #936 of 1,011
You could add in EqualizerAPO / Peace and have an AutoEQ profile there, and attach a Loki as well for further tweaking as needed on a case by case basis. This is what I do
Right, so I really do NEED ONE! Business Case Justified!! :L3000:

It would actually be handy to have for other sources than my Mac that don't have EQ...

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #937 of 1,011
Really stupid question, but is increasing the gain on all 4 knobs by some set amount - say +5db - accomplish the same thing and sound the same as just increasing the volume by +5db?
almost the same thing. slightly better to increase the amp volume by +5dB instead of all 4 Loki bands.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #938 of 1,011
Really stupid question, but is increasing the gain on all 4 knobs by some set amount - say +5db - accomplish the same thing and sound the same as just increasing the volume by +5db?
Ha! Good point. I was so enamored with the sound I was getting from turning the knobs I hadn't thought about whether turning all knobs to the same position might just be turning up the overall volume. I think this is one of the reasons people are so hesitant to try EQ and that presets are so popular. My experiences in the 80's with those crappy sliders was that I always made the sound worse with hardware EQ. Not so with the Loki Mini. I can hear the change clearly and go back and forth with the toggle to double check that it is actually better and not just louder/different. The knobs don't change the frequencies at the same rate so even if all knobs were in the same position they wouldn't just be boosting the volume. According to the Schiit website:
Loki Mini also features gentle control and rational ranges to allow for precise and subtle tonal alterations. Potentiometers are progressive, so that a full 30 degrees is needed for the first dB of boost or cut. Loki Mini offers adjustment center frequencies of 20 Hz, 400 Hz, 2kHz, and 8kHz. 20Hz and 8kHz offer +/-12dB of adjustment, while 400Hz and 2kHz offer +/-6dB.
This subtle adjustment is probably why I haven't felt like I've ruined the music with my adjustments. It sounds to me from the description above that the Bass and Treble setting goes twice as far with the same setting as the Midbass and Midrange. I have noticed that extreme ends of Treble and Bass can be too much. This morning I'm listening to speakers via the Asgard 3 pre-outs to a Peachtree Audio integrated. The Loki is active in the chain. My speakers are Axiom Audio M3Ti's which have a nice MidBass and amazing stereo imaging with a warm analog undertone. They seem to respond to a boost to the treble setting just like the LCD2Cs. No bass is needed since they are on a desktop and will get boomy if the bass is boosted. They sit close to the wall so I have port plugs in the back to tamp down the bass and midbass mushiness. I'm going to try removing the port plugs and turning down the bass and midbass to see if I get a similar sound. Can't do it now because I'm enjoying Billy Joel's The Stranger. The symbol brush percussion in Scenes from an Italian Restaurant sound really alive and I can't say I ever really noticed them before in this song. The Sax just started in with the solo at the end and it also has more sparkle than I think I'm used to hearing from my system. I'm definitely getting enjoyment and entertainment out of my Loki Mini +.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #939 of 1,011
Loki Mini+ is great for adjusting the sound on older 80's recordings (e.g. Genesis Trick of the Tail) to add a little more low end weight, plus it has a bypass mode when not needed with better recordings. Subtle (1/4 turn or less) adjustments go a long way to re-balancing the sound.

Much cheaper than buying an extra set of decent quality cans of another "flavor".

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #941 of 1,011
I might give the Loki mini a go. I love my TR-X00 PH but sometimes the treble is a tad too bright so hopefully I could turn down the treble a bit to cool the sizzle off a bit.
It’s how I tame the bass in my Meze 99s! My LokiMini + arrived yesterday for my desk rig. Have the original for the main listening area.

May 16, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #942 of 1,011
There is going to be a Loki Max?! Take my money!

I still adore the original Loki, even though it barely gets used... but when it does!

May 16, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #943 of 1,011
There is going to be a Loki Max?! Take my money!
Careful with what you wish for... Jason mentioned the price will be approx. 10 times that of the Loki Mini.
Are you still excited? :wink:

May 16, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #944 of 1,011
Careful with what you wish for... Jason mentioned the price will be approx. 10 times that of the Loki Mini.
Yes!

May 16, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #945 of 1,011
As long as there is a balance in/out I think I will go for the Max. It's why I haven't updated to the Loki+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back