Loki Mini Impressions
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #886 of 1,011
Just got a loki and love it!
I just wish I could use it with an integrated dac/amp.... I wish I could rca into loki and back into the dac amp lol!
Reason #3,215 why to buy separates. Note that this is just an opinion.I prefer separates because I don’t use USB (at the moment),, and I favour multiple input flexibility over one box. HOWEVER - we are all different.

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #887 of 1,011
Reason #3,215 why to buy separates. Note that this is just an opinion.I prefer separates because I don’t use USB (at the moment),, and I favour multiple input flexibility over one box. HOWEVER - we are all different.

I agree; I find that as your budget and level of interest increase, it is more efficient to simply keep things separate

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #888 of 1,011
I agree; I find that as your budget and level of interest increase, it is more efficient to simply keep things separate
just to show how different we all are, I’m the opposite, as budget increased, so did separates. It’s why they make both! And my desk is a mess anyway...

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #891 of 1,011
Has anyone tried to recreate the 4 Loki EQ knobs on a digital equalizer like Equalizer APO? For awhile I was using a DAC/streamer combo without USB, so I could no longer use Equalizer APO. That led me to buying a Loki, which was pretty helpful in tuning my headphones (HEKse) to my own sound preferences. However, now I have a new DAC using USB again, and if I can recreate the Loki digitally without much difference in sound, I might as well sell the Loki.

Going off Marv's measurements here: Schiit Loki EQ Measurements | Super Best Audio Friends. I tried to recreate the 4 EQ bands with roughly similar Q values. My current settings are below (all peaking filters):
  • 27 Hz - Q 0.16
  • 380 Hz - Q 0.43
  • 2100 Hz - Q 0.49
  • 7800 Hz - Q 0.46
I basically used the Equalizer APO "Analysis Panel" to try to recreate the graphs for each band at their extremes (+/-12 dB). For example for knob 2 (low mids) on the Loki, I created a peaking filter centered at 400 Hz, increased gain to +12 dB, then adjusted the Q until the curve at 100 Hz was approximately at +2 dB (to line up with the graph). Then lastly to translate my own settings to the Equalizer APO bands, I went off the descriptions of the knob positions (full, 1/4 turn, 1/8 turn) to get a rough idea of how much gain to apply at each band, based on how my current Loki knobs are set.

Does my methodology seem to make sense? Wondering if anyone else has done a more sophisticated way of doing this, rather than my "eyeball" measurements. It sounds pretty good, though I will have to do some A/B testing with the Loki plugged back into my system later. Of course, having a digital EQ, I'm free to make even more detailed cuts/boosts. Still, the Loki did sound pretty good, so I'm happy even if it's odd to use such wide Q-values.

Edit: Actually going back using Jude's measurements in the video below (which are pretty much the same, just higher res graphs), fine-tuned the bands a little more.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #894 of 1,011
Does the Loki work with the lack of bass on the 800s? Might put one in between my amp and streamer. Thanks
The Loki does help fine tune the HD800S's bass. The HD800S's bass benefit mores from the amp and DAC pairing. For instance, the Violectric V281 is known for having a nice, weighty, low end. It brings out the bass in the HD800S's to the point I don't think it's lacking bass at all. Another great amp pairing it the Flux Labs FA-10. It's another amp with a meaty low end and probably the best midrange I've heard on a solid state amp. It pairs very well with the HD800S's with it's warm, tube-like tone. Adding a Loki in between either of these amps will add bass depth and a richer tone to the HD800S's.

IMG_0716(1).jpg

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #896 of 1,011
The Loki does help fine tune the HD800S's bass. The HD800S's bass benefit mores from the amp and DAC pairing. For instance, the Violectric V281 is known for having a nice, weighty, low end. It brings out the bass in the HD800S's to the point I don't think it's lacking bass at all. Another great amp pairing it the Flux Labs FA-10. It's another amp with a meaty low end and probably the best midrange I've heard on a solid state amp. It pairs very well with the HD800S's with it's warm, tube-like tone. Adding a Loki in between either of these amps will add bass depth and a richer tone to the HD800S's.

Thx. I do have a violectric 280. But still feel the bass is lacking at times using the 800s. Might have to try a Loki. Thanks

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #897 of 1,011
Thx. I do have a violectric 280. But still feel the bass is lacking at times using the 800s. Might have to try a Loki. Thanks
No problem, what DAC are you using?

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #899 of 1,011
I have a node 2i streamer with built in mqa dac. Very detailed, little bass light
As you move up the chain in DAC’s you‘ll see that every component plays a part in the overall resulting sound. I have an iFi Micro iTube2 in the chain with my V281 now and it might be a better tweak than the Loki with it’s bass boost, 3D+, and tube options. The xBass+ targets sub bass and it might be an alternate option to the Loki in your case. It gives the HD800S’s a very nice bump in bass. Since it’s really the only frequency they somewhat are lacking in.

I’m keeping the Loki in the mix with my TT2/HMS and Formula S, which is my reference setup. It plays a excellent role in tweaking the sound of various headphones I connect to it. The Hugo 2/iTube2/V281 or FA-10 is my second setup. It’s every bit as good as my reference one with added warmth and a more musical sound.

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #900 of 1,011
As you move up the chain in DAC’s you‘ll see that every component plays a part in the overall resulting sound. I have an iFi Micro iTube2 in the chain with my V281 now and it might be a better tweak than the Loki with it’s bass boost, 3D+, and tube options. The xBass+ targets sub bass and it might be an alternate option to the Loki in your case. It gives the HD800S’s a very nice bump in bass. Since it’s really the only frequency they somewhat are lacking in.

I’m keeping the Loki in the mix with my TT2/HMS and Formula S, which is my reference setup. It plays a excellent role in tweaking the sound of various headphones I connect to it. The Hugo 2/iTube2/V281 or FA-10 is my second setup. It’s every bit as good as my reference one with added warmth and a more musical sound.

Agreed. I use it to add a bit of color to my Genelec 8010A monitor speakers. Works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back