Loki Mini Impressions
Nov 19, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #856 of 1,011
Weird question time: Has the Loki curbed any desire to do tube rolling? I wonder if the Loki's tone controls play a bigger part in the sound than using different tubes in a tube amp
I have my Loki inline with my liquid platinum and Hugo 2. It works just as well with tubes as it does solid state devices. The Loki is more of a tone control that EQ to my ears. My RME ADI-2 Pro has a nice onboard PEQ with bass and treble tone controls for better shaping of the sound.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #857 of 1,011
Weird question time: Has the Loki curbed any desire to do tube rolling? I wonder if the Loki's tone controls play a bigger part in the sound than using different tubes in a tube amp

That's a tough question to answer; there are simply too many variables to consider. There's system configuration, personal preference, individual tube characteristics ...

I can share with you my own experience. I purchased to Loki specifically to tailor the sound of my ESP950s, and it has worked like a charm. It's allowed me to boost or attenuate frequency bands selectively, oftentimes by album. This isn't something you can do, or do easily, via tube rolling. Tubes were, obviously, not a factor in this instance. The connection chain in this instance is: Benchmark DAC3-DX > high-quality, DIY switcher > Loki > E/90X energizer.

Before dedicating it to the ESP950, I connected it so I could use it with any of my amps, which include the ESP950, Bottlehead Mainline and Bottlehead Crack-a-two-a. While it allowed me to do some tweaking with the two tube amps, I found that, once I had settled on my tubes of choice for the amps, I really didn't apply any EQ. The connection chain in this instance was: Benchmark DAC3-DX > Loki > high-quality, DIY switcher > any of my three amps.

A final thought: From a cost/value perspective, I consider the Loki to be a no brainer. It's a well thought out and implemented unit. For what you'd spend on one or a few high-quality tubes, you'll have something that allows you to tailor individual frequency bands to your liking with little or no negative sonic impact. And, if you don't want to apply EQ, you can simply hit the bypass switch.

Hope this helps.

Joe.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #858 of 1,011
My take: Not at all. I use it as a headphone-tamer. A tube changes the overall sound of the amp, then loki eliminates the treble peak of Sundara, etc...

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #859 of 1,011

No... tubes still do their own thing and have their own unique presentation/characteristics... Loki simply cannot get the crazy separation and 3D holographic spatial projection of the CIFTE 12AU7 tube nor the absolutely solid sounding lowend and vocals from a Mullard CV4024 tube. No ammount of EQ can change the separation or spacial presentation of a headphone... but tubes can. I use my Loki in conjunction with my Project Ember, mainly to help reinforce the subbass but also for slight tweaks for vocals and treble as needed.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #860 of 1,011
Wondering if those who like solo piano recordings or piano trio stuff use the Loki to clean up the sometimes wooly/muddy/globby sound of piano notes in the middle-lower registers. Does the 400Hz knob help in this, realizing that lower midrange-bloomy cans like the HD-6XX can play a role too? Just wondering if Loki's 400Hz knob is able to cleanup to some degree in this area.

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #862 of 1,011
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #863 of 1,011
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #864 of 1,011
well... sounds like you'd have to! For quite a while...
Well it still feels a lot sooner than when it was only a dream of us

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #865 of 1,011
Does anybody know about the output voltage of the Schiit Loki?

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #866 of 1,011
Dec 25, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #867 of 1,011
Is there an upgraded Loki in the works?

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #869 of 1,011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back