Logitech z-680
Sep 13, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Thats an incredible price on the Klipsch;s! I just received the Z680's that I ordered from Newegg for $228.00 plus shipping, about twenty four hours before Amazon started their deal
frown.gif

I really wanted the Klipsch 5.1's but couldnt find a price less than $100.00 higher than the 680's.
Oh well, these are ONLY for gaming on my pc, they should be fine. Though the comments about hiss concern me.

JC

since you have your unit..is it hissing?

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilson
I thought that problem was fixed. At least, I think I read something about that on IGN or in a gaming magazine somewhere

So did I. I did my research before I bought the set a month and a half ago and it definately hissed. Bear in mind that I spent nearly $500 on silent/quiet parts in my computer, my computer is very quiet. It needs to be as I run music and ht off it. This hiss may not bother some people but this *is* an audiophile forum, and it bothered me. It was a deal breaker. There are other options at this price point. I would have to recommend the gigaworks over the z680. It's more expensive, but the bass is more 'reasonable' and it *doesn't* hiss.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coleco
So did I. I did my research before I bought the set a month and a half ago and it definately hissed. Bear in mind that I spent nearly $500 on silent/quiet parts in my computer, my computer is very quiet. It needs to be as I run music and ht off it. This hiss may not bother some people but this *is* an audiophile forum, and it bothered me. It was a deal breaker. There are other options at this price point. I would have to recommend the gigaworks over the z680. It's more expensive, but the bass is more 'reasonable' and it *doesn't* hiss.

i read some other forums, some people claimed that the hissing is due to the control pod, they said check if its a revision B (which is said to have fixed it)

and some others said it was problem with the wires, and they changed it to thicker gauge and there wasn't any hissing anymore..

i'd suggest checking the control pod first, then change the wires. YMMV. i don't own one *yet* but im looking to get one soon...provided if the hissing problem can be overcomed.

EDIT:
read this page as it mentions about the revision B control pod fix.

and this page if you have a revision B control pod and its still hissing.

for those who just wants a summary, basically if you have a rev. A control pod, contact logitech and have it changed, it is faulty. if you have a rev. B control pod, the centre speaker will hiss in analog mode..so i guess you will have to use digital out to the control pod instead of the minijacks..

let me know if it solves your problem...

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
since you have your unit..is it hissing?

The 680's are for a complete, new pc that I wont have built until this weekend. I should be able to comment then. My old, failing pc, dosent have the digital output (for 5.1) connected, so I cant test them until then.

JC

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #20 of 31
I red that the controlpad of version 1.0.3 makes the system hissing.. If you did got that version of your pad, just send it back and you get a ver 1.1.2 which makes the hissing disappear...

Can anyone with 1.1.2 version confim that the hissing is gone?

Does anyone knows about the Canton 10 mx II system.. I´ve head that the canton system is better than z680..

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by m4qs
I red that the controlpad of version 1.0.3 makes the system hissing.. If you did got that version of your pad, just send it back and you get a ver 1.1.2 which makes the hissing disappear...

Does anyone knows about the Canton 10 mx II system.. I´ve head that the canton system is better than z680..

Canton aren't marketted as multimedia speakers either, and last I checked they were like $700? I've never heard them in ideal conditions, but a friend of mine runs them for his home theater... They're "okay", but I thought $700 could be better spent on 2.0/2.1 systems.

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 31
Ok.. it looks like I´m going to buy the z680 system.. I can both use them to my cpu and like a homecinema system.. But I´m going to wait for answeres so i know that the hiss problem i solved..

Btw. how about the SYSTEM GALE Junior.. I had some good rekomendations of that system..

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Ok.. it looks like I´m going to buy the z680 system.. I can both use them to my cpu and like a homecinema system.. But I´m going to wait for answeres so i know that the hiss problem i solved..

I had a set with the newest control pod and the hiss was still there. It would be wise to wait a few months on the Z-680's replacement to see if the problems are ironed out in this new model. Worst case scenario is you wait two months for nothing, and have the opportunity to buy the Z-680's for less as retailers close them out.

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Another great 5.1 set would be the Klipsch 5.1's or 5.1 Ultra's. Both are very nice but the horn tweeters make the highs shrill-sounding to some.

WARNING! Stereotype. Klipsch's horn tweeters are not harsh at all. In fact, the high-end details are very pleasing to many Klipsch fans such as myself. I highly reccommend the Promedia 5.1 Ultra over the 680, unless you truly need the dolby digital and such. The Z-680's are terribly boomy in the bass area, and the highs lack detail, mids are muffled and muddled. Overall, the sound cannot even think to compete with a Klipsch set.

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #25 of 31
I did also red about the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra and found this in a test: "Listening to the Promedia’s subwoofer perform is one of the major points of differentiation between Klipsch’s system, and the Logitech Z680. Where the Z680’s sub puts out an admirable amount of bass, it tends to sound a little on the loose side. The Promedia Ultra subwoofer feels extremely tight and responsive, and really shines over the Z680. Couple the outstanding sound with the fact that you can daisy chain the sub with more Klipsch subs, and you can imagine the level of bump achievable.

Another point where Klipsch outperforms Logitech is in the midrange department. The satellite speakers reproduce mids and highs to a tee. The 3” mid-bass drivers produce bright, clear mid tones that cover all frequencies in the mid-range. Where Logitech’s sound slightly flat, Klipsch’s sound full and dynamic."

This system seems very good and they costs about 30$ more than the z680'z..But I didn´t found anyplace to buy them in sweden.. :S

Edit: I found one store (nettodirekt) any they did cost about 1000$ there which is way to mutch..

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

I had version 1.1.2 of the control pod and it hissed. I called logitech and they said the unit was defective and to exchange it at the store
blink.gif
. I went back to the shop. They graciously opened another set and let me try a different pod. Still hissed. We tried swapping subs, no luck. That was about the time I decided to get my money back. I would avoid this set, it's just not worth it. People have had other problems with rattling subs and whatnot.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 31
imo, the logitech are just for getting things loud, and boomy. They are great college speakers becasue you can compete with all the kids with there stupid walmart awia "systems" that sound like total crap.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #28 of 31
Some good news.

I just went the Guitar Center and they have an Alesis setup (rebranded logitech Z-680) and it sounds VERY good with music. Get a computer setup and rig this one up correctly - fix the center speaker on the wall above the monitor and get the surrounds on each side (keep the speakers between 1.5m and 3m away from you for best results.

Sound is brilliant...tight bass...must have been room acoustics but I was very happy and would have picked one up right there.

But ah me - I want a full blown 5.1 setup with REAL speakers...not multimedia stuff...

Cheers!

Oct 9, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #30 of 31
I think I´m going to buy the z680's to my new TV.. Is it easy to connect them to my samsung or do i need some kind of reciever?

I´ve also heard alot of good think about the Pioneer DCS-222 (as a homecinemasystem).. How about them? Can they compete with z680's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back