Logitech z-2300
Nov 5, 2008 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

yeahman67

Head-Fier
I really want this speaker system but I've heard complaints about the lack of mids, but also compliments that the speaker does have mids. I need an answer, DOES IT HAVE MIDS OR NO? I'll be using the z-2300's for gaming, music, and movies. I really like bass, and I know the z-2300 packs a lot of bass. Are they really worth getting?

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 20
If you like gaming and movies and especially bass in huge quantities then these are great. Obviously you can do better if you spend more, but for what you're using them for and for the price I don't think there's a better option.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 20
Its the best i have ever heard with computer. and a good soundcard is important. tried it with onboard card and it diddnt shine at all. when i had it i used x-fi extreme audio and wow how awsome it was with my goatrance
smily_headphones1.gif

Never heard that it lacked mids in my ears. Very big BANG for the buck..

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 20
I can't stand the hollow mids -- not for music.

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 20
What if your onboard soundcard is really good, cause' it is. It's Realtek HD Audio. So, what you're saying is that without a sound card, it sounds terrible, or does it sound good without a sound card?

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 20
My experience is that with a good soudcard this is a great setup. I will most likely buy them again(my sister got mine now) couse i liked it better than my nad + speaker setup. But i am listening to psytrance and goatrance 98% of the time so i dont know what they sound like with other genres. with rocking psytrance they are really involving
L3000.gif
. Thats me

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 20
I have a set. Immensely powerful and project a believable sound stage if set up properly. I am not totally satisfied with the dry/hollow midrange but these speakers do scale up with better sources. The satellites themselves are satisfactory and are reasonably detailed. However, the subwoofer is what makes these speakers highly unsatisfactory for music. It is really too boomy, uncontrolled and lacks texture. Then again, did you expect otherwise?
tongue.gif
I have heeded ph0rk's advice and stuffed socks into the sub port. This has partially cured the boom, but now it has degenerated into a whispering pile of mush
biggrin.gif
OK, maybe I'm exaggerating. All that said and done, if your music doesn't have frequencies which require the use of the subwoofer, then you'll be treated to very palatable and pleasing sound.

Bottom line: great for games, movies and general multimedia, but there are better choices for music.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 20
I called logitech and the person said the speakers do have mids, and said that people who play them at intensely high volumes cause the speakers to blow their mids out. This seems quite believable because the speakers are "Thx Certified," and a system with a good qualification such as the certification from thx with no mids sounds quite absurd.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 20
I'm not entirely sure whether you are taking the piss or actually serious. Anyhow, I'll assume the latter.
wink.gif

I don't think you comprehend fully what we mean by "no mids". Of course the speakers can reproduce midrange frequencies, it's just that they aren't as prominent as the rest of the frequency range. The THX certification is meaningless and irrelevant.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 20
I actually said this a number of times, but I'll repeat it here again, to elaborate on what I called "hollow mids" a few posts earlier:

The middle frequencies (mainly the human voice) sounds "hollow", as if they purposely applied some 3D effects to it. If you listen to more than a few sets of speakers and headphones (or even just listen to others speaking), I think you will also come to a conclusion that this "hollow" characteristics by the Z2300s aren't what the mastering engineer intended. (In short, not natural nor neutral.)

If you don't listen to vocals, however, and don't mind the boomy bass, they're tolerable.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 20
I bought them from best buy to try them out, and they sound pretty good. I haven't really noticed the hollow mids, but I guess it's all preference. However, you guys are right, the mids could use some kick.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 20
I'm hoping these are pretty decent for computer speakers. I'm getting a set to replace some old Yamaha speakers I have. Of course I'm not going to be using them with a basic sound card, or even my ESI Juli@. I'll be using them with a Logitech Transporter and Audio-gd Reference Seven DAC. My primary system is my headphone rig, these are just for the times when I don't feel like listening to headphones.

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called logitech and the person said the speakers do have mids, and said that people who play them at intensely high volumes cause the speakers to blow their mids out. This seems quite believable because the speakers are "Thx Certified," and a system with a good qualification such as the certification from thx with no mids sounds quite absurd.

Hi, you're a fuсking moron. Teehee.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 20
^Mind your language mate. Coming to the OP, they are nice but compared Z5500 in stereo only mode they can't match up. Z-5500s when fed through optical are quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back