Logitech Squeezebox Transporter vs. Lavry DA10: how do they compare?
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently use a Lavry DA10 as my main source (iMac -> Hagtech USB to AES/EBU adapter -> 25 ft. AES/EBU cable (pro audio style) -> Lavry DA10 -> Cardas XLR to RCA adapters.

Just wondering how the stock analog output of the Logitech Transporter compares to the Lavry DA10 (XLR output using Cardas XLR to RCA adapters).

(I also own a Squeezebox Classic, but that is in another system). Any comments about how it's analog output compares to the analog output of the Transporter would also be appreciated!

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 8

axw

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently use a Lavry DA10 as my main source (iMac -> Hagtech USB to AES/EBU adapter -> 25 ft. AES/EBU cable (pro audio style) -> Lavry DA10 -> Cardas XLR to RCA adapters.

Just wondering how the stock analog output of the Logitech Transporter compares to the Lavry DA10 (XLR output using Cardas XLR to RCA adapters).

this is exactly the question I am trying to answer -- I never had an opportunity to audition the Transporter vs DA10, but apparently the differences are rather subtle; some people settling on (SB3/Duet+) Lavry, as good enough for the buck, some choosing the Transporter as a notch more analytical.

What is quite obvious is that a stock Transporter is not the ultimate hi-end, especially the analogue section (see ModWright mods) can be improved. However, given the price of a modded Transporter, it should be compared not to (SB3+) Lavry, but to Transporter + Audio-GD Reference DAC and similar.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 8

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
I don't have any experience with the Lavry, but if you have any questions about the Transporter or the Audio-gd Reference One or Reference Seven, I'm happy to assist.

The Transporter is an awesome piece of gear. It is easier to set up than the Squeezebox Duet (which I used to have). The DAC in the Transporter is very good, but not in the same league as the Ref1 or Ref7. I use it solely as a transport, and in that regard it aces out the Squeezebox with a regulated power supply and custom DC cables by a mile. The AES/EBU output on the Transporter is far superior to its BNC or RCA S/PDIF outputs, and there are settings within the Squeezebox Server software which take it up to an even higher level of performance.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 8

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Lavry DA10 and am very happy with it, but the Transporter seems very cool.

What is the Audio-gd Reference One or Reference Seven?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 8

IPodPJ

Very high-end DACs for extremely inexpensive prices. The Reference Seven is the newer version. It has multiple inputs, updated power supplies, better R-core transformers, and improvements to the clock. But Audio-gd says the sound quality differences are minor. Even if that's true, the Transporter performs better with AES so you'd need the Reference Seven to use that since the Reference One only has one input: BNC and RCA combo.

Reference Seven:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE7/reference-7EN.htm

Reference One:
http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/RE1/Reference%20One.htm

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 8

axw

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any experience with the Lavry, but if you have any questions about the Transporter or the Audio-gd Reference One or Reference Seven, I'm happy to assist.

Thanks. How exactly do you control volume? do you use Transporter (or rather Squeezebox Server software) for that? or a preamp/amp or any other device you happen to connect to the analogue outputs of your Audio-GD Reference DAC?

Apparently it makes a difference to SQ where the volume is controlled.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 8

IPodPJ

I always leave the Transporter/Squeezebox Server at 100%, but you can use it to control volume if you wish. For the best sound quality leave the Transporter at 100% and adjust the volume with your preamp, receiver, computer speakers, whatever you use, etc.

That being said, Logitech officially claims you can reduce the Transporter volume up to -32dB (if I remember correctly) without any signal degradation but my ears don't agree with that (and neither do most owners that I've spoken to, nor do some of the tech reps at Logitech). But its volume control certainly holds the integrity of the audio better than Windows or Mac volume control with a basic or high-quality sound card.

May 26, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 8

eric75020

New Head-Fier
I was a SD Transporter owner and I hesitate to buy a audio-gd 19DSP for better SQ. I don't need balanced output because my preamp is only unbalanced. 
Can you describe the SQ difference between your stock transporter and TP + audio-gd DAC ?
thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread