Logitech Acquires UltimateEars!
Aug 15, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #49 of 61
lol guys calm down. This is just the way the market works today. Big companies buy smaller companies. That doesn't mean that the smaller companies lose their identity. Most of the time they don't.

I see Logitech buying UE as a good thing. More money can be spent into research and development, and they can deliver higher quality products (maybe some that don't crack and fall apart randomly). Also, I've read a lot about mice when looking for a new one, and even though I didn't go the Logitech route, I read numerous reviews about their customer service, which appears to be outstanding. UE's isn't, and I hope they'll do something about that.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #50 of 61
I agree too-Logitech do make nice products such as speakers.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by babya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They also make great mice and keyboards. Making highly refined components like canalphones, though, i believe will be a challenge for their management to go the extra mile and put in the effort, which requires funding, rather than say, "It's good enough, lets put it on the market".

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #52 of 61
Being a happy owner of the Logitech MX500 mouse pointer and the Z-4 speaker, Logitech does make excellent products.
smile.gif

I think Logitech's finances will mean more money for improved products. (I'm seriously considering getting the new super.fi 5 Pro.)

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #54 of 61
I admit that I am a little worried by this news. I do believe that great products like Triple Fi Pro and UE 11 are created by people who have a love and passion for their field. And typically, such people tend to flourish in smaller, more focussed companies.

Larger organisations tend to lose this passion, replacing it with standardisation, process and marketing slickness. I personally know many people (including myself) who have opted to work for smaller organisations because there is a better chance for a great end product to see the light of day, compared to larger organisations where bottomline focus, marketing interference and sometimes, politics, can adversely influence R &D. (eg. a product compromise in favor of reduced cost/ reduced SQ, in order to appeal to a larger section of people)

The impression I have formed of UE from the posts around this board and descriptions of their HQ is of a small, friendly, innovative organisation. I do hope that Logitech sees the sense in preserving this culture and manages to retain the old R & D Team.

I do not doubt that they will continue to make good (even high quality) products. I just worry whether they will continue to innovate in a way that brings inspired/ very different products to the market.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #55 of 61
well, it does explain why theres been metro.fi headphones popping up like shrooms,

the entry point headphone has become a whole range,
6 different headphones, the 100, 150 and 200 and each has its Vi Version for cellphones,

anyways, i do expect several changes, like forget the altec lensing rebadged line, the accord with M-Audio will also probobly be revoked,

expect several "low quality" logitech headphones with stickers that say "designed by UE" or "made with UE technology"

the question is how much autonomy will UE itself will have, i suspect that the custom headphone will be kept, its a good publicity and they are top of their game, but the logitech ownership would also explain the radical change in design with the Super.fi 4 and Super.fi 5 v2.0, so expect newer iems to be simpler, forget the replaceable cable, also expect the included accesories to drop in quality,

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #56 of 61
Logitech make pretty decent computer speakers for $50. I have been considering Super Fis as my next IEMs if that ever happens and if I dont get livewires. Maybe their customs wont be so overpriced now? A huge drop in price but not quality perhaps?

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by babya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A lot of head-fi'ers will disagree with this.
Logitech lower-end speakers = *shudder*

Logitech = great for mice and webcams.
Logitech probably recognise that headphones/earphones are the weak point in their structure (Logitech headsets and headphones = total total joke) and they view a growing market in earphones with the growth of DAP's into mainstream society.

A smart business move by Logitech viewing it from a objective view.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #58 of 61
amongst the pc hardware community, logitech is known for the absolute best customer service.

on top of that, amongst gamers, we beat the **** out of our logitech mice, and they keep on ticking.

and in case they break, logitech will send u a new one, from all ive read.

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #59 of 61
on the website it already says

ULTIMATE EARS
a Logitech Company

and they have a link to a lil overview of the situation

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #60 of 61
As a gamer who has Logitech products i know their computer hardware is high Quality. On the other hand i really worry about the direction they are planning to take Ultimate Ears. I have just started to get into iems and currently own their Super fi. 5 Pro. I really would like to get my hands on a triple fi BEFORE they mess with it. Especially when it comes to innovations such as replacement cables. Case in point; i just had to replace them last week when they started to not transmit on the right side. I shudder to think what would happen if i spent around 200 bucks or more for an iem and then the wires give way on me or something bad happens to them that is not covered by warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back