LOD draining iPod battery?
Jun 27, 2009 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ishoulddie

New Head-Fier
i just recently got myself an LOD for my 80 GB iPod Video and my E5. It works fine, but if i leave it plugged in to my iPod, it drains the battery, even when the iPod isn't playing. Should this be happening? It does have a mini USB port and a dock connector on it, bit i can't imagine why they'd be draining the battery if there's nothing plugged into them.

The LOD is one of these, i use it with a Cardas mini-to-mini cable:

eforcity_2057_205371492

AV Adapter for Apple iPod, Black

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 15
...I have some doubts, seeing as how I have an LOD and it does not do this.

More importantly, is the iPod on when it is not playing? You only say that it is not playing. Or, it may be your LOD, but that does not make that much sense seeing as how they are essentially the same thing on the inside.

It could also be your ipod (I am speaking from experience with a 4G 8GB nano)

-Nkk

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 15
The funny thing(well actually not so funny),about these players is that they don't have actual "ON/Off" butttons (Ipods,Zunes,etc...) & if you have'nt pressed the correct sequence of buttons to truely turn them off they are constantly in standby! I'm more inclined to think this is the case.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 15
ive got one of those and im quite sure mine does the same.

i just instantly took to unlpuging it as i had to unplug the amp too anyway or it would run down too. i just assumed all LOD did that but if not i still dont care, for the convenience of its shape im not changing

i had always it was just because the ipods too stupid to actually turn its self off propperly, becasue you it having an bloody on/off switch would have made it just far too complicated to use.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 15
no not all LODs do that. my DIYMOD certainly doesnt do that with any of mine. even the ones with USB charge/sync ports. thinking they may have shorted the power supply in the USB to ground or something else neglectful or only a partial short so its just draining power. does it run hot too?? if they shorted pin 21 to ground to enable the USB to be recognized (a cheap hack) instead of including a resistor and becoming part o the 'made for ipod' program. that might be the problem

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 15
I had'nt even thought about whether this was a "made for Ipod" item, in which case the pin assignments have'nt been changed from the original stock LOD connector assignments. As Qusp mentions, the pin configuration on true aftermarket LODs are modified to allow the cable to operate as a passive connection. The "charge/data transfer" cable that comes w/ the Ipod is not a passive connector,nor are most "made for Ipod" items that use this port for output.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 15
First of all, a normal lod with only audio output won't do that.

Second, ipods do turn off. After a night of no activity it shuts down completely. When you see a dark screen with a silver "apple" logo, that's the ipod doing a fresh boot after being shut off completely.

I'd say it's some kind of short in the LOD that's causing the battery to drain voltage to ground. Get rid of it.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Well, considering that i hadn't had this problem until i got the LOD, i'm inclined to think it's the LOD. i've had this iPod for almost two years, and have never had this kind of problem before. Normally, when i pause the iPod and let it sit for a few hours, the battery drain is very minimal. With the LOD connected, an iPod that was fully charged in the morning will be almost totally dead by the end of the afternoon, with only about a half hour of playing time on it. Like i said, since this only started happening with the LOD connected, i'm guessing it's just the LOD. It's too bad, because i really like the form factor of it. Oh well. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Interesting to know how different LODs work.....

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 15
It's obviously some kind of short circuit, which in time could damage the battery or other hardware. Also your battery probably drains twice as fast while it's playing. Plus it's a hassle.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Once again, properly designed LODs are passive. "Made for Ipod"(or at least most "made for Ipod")LODs don't have the correct pin "shorted" that will allow the Ipod to "sleep" the way it will normally w/ no connection to this port. I don't necessarily see that there is anything wrong w/ the Ipod unless it reacts this way w/ all LODs . You are sadly misinformed if you believe that most "mainstream" Ipod accessory makers took the trouble to engineer their LODs beyond having the correct "form factor" that will work w/ Ipods!

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 15
I have a cheap, deal extreme lod with a 3.5 mm female jack and it had an annoying bright blue led until I disassembled it and crushed the led. Still works and no more battery draining light. I'm not sure if it still draws power though. I can look around and post later if y'all want to know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back