Locke or Hobbes? people naturally good or evil
Apr 19, 2006 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
well I was giving it some thought again. Before I thought people were naturally good. Now the more I think about it, the more I feel people are naturally evil. I wanted to check in on Head-fi and ask:

Are people naturally evil, good, or neither? Why?

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 51
I don't know about 'good' or 'evil'.

But I do think people are inherently selfish.

The extent to which that translates into evil depends on your interpretation. Rand believed the best end result came from everyone acting in their own best interest.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 51
All organic life, including people, is naturally inclined towards survival. People will do whatever they can to survive. This means there is a natural inclination towards selfishness. Often this inclination translates into evil behavior. The good thing is sometimes goodness also favors the selfish. Sometimes altruism is motivated by selfishness. We have the potential for both good and evil within us.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 51
i'm inherently mostly water. the rest is all seasoning - but i'm noticing that i'm getting saltier as i get more seasoned. does that make me more evil? well, at least more aware of evil at least
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 51
All I know is that dogs are good. People, I'm not decided upon. But dogs, yup. Definitely good.

I have a gift for Pumpkin btw. Will deliver it on Saturday.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
All I know is that dogs are good. People, I'm not decided upon. But dogs, yup. Definitely good.

I have a gift for Pumpkin btw. Will deliver it on Saturday.

Best,

-Jason

My kid's already proven it by only being two and being the first to bite a human - Pumpkin's like "uh, I didn't teach you that, 'bro!"
eek.gif
She'll glady look forward to the gift for being a good doggy!

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 51
I'm taking Justice and Virtue right now and we heavily go into Locke and Hobbs.

I'm actually writing a paper on Locke and his though on how civil magistrate should no interfere with the soul of a human.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 51
One reason why I think people are evil...well selfish.
When people ask you: "oh what did you get on you exam?" "oh did you do this yet or did you study?" have you heard about the....what are you going to do about it" I mean these question pop around us all the time. I just see people asking these in order to make sure they're better or superior than you. Or they want you to worry because they are also worried. they have a sense of security when others worry about the same problems. So they ask others about an issue to make others worry, I mean they dont realize it when they ask, I guess. just some thoughts.

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #15 of 51
Hobbes never actually says that people are evil, just that they are self-centred.

Having said that, Hobbes is a much better philosopher. Provided you accept this presumptions, his arguments are excellent. Locke, on the other hand, you can fly jumbo jets through and then some.

Forget Hobbes and Locke. Rousseau's where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back