LM4562 vs OPA2134 vs [ ? ]
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 31

piotrekfronc

100+ Head-Fier
This probably isn’t the answer you want, but I’m going to present it to you anyway. An op amp is part of a larger circuit and is chosen because its specs match those required for the circuit. The sound quality comes from the entire circuit, not the op amp. Switching op amps is likely to cause as much harm as good. For instance, in this post I am responding to one of many people who burned out a Burson v5: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mat...p-and-excellent.475618/page-341#post-13652862

The Burson v5 is an especially egregious situation because Burson went out of their way to create a low-volume audiophile op amp that bolstered features like gold plated connection, channel separation, and EMI shielding. Features that would appeal to the audiophile crowd willing to spend an insane $60 on an op amp. Then they went out a suggested that their op amp could be used as a direct replacement for almost any other op amp on the market, despite having different voltage specs! The level of irresponsibility here is repugnant, and the reasons for failure seen in my post have displayed themselves rampantly in the wild. You would be far better off with a good ‘ole tried and true Texas Instruments 49860 beater. BTW, 49990 is a just a cherry picked lme49860 for wider voltage range, so don’t believe the kool-aid when everyone says they sound better… it’s the same op amp.

Obviously, not every op amp is a piece of junk like Burson’s but the trend for audiophile op amps (Muse is another popular one) imho is a form of snake oil. The job of the amplifier should be to provide clean gain. If you would like to alter the tone of the amp, do so with DSP such as EQ. Those changes will be controllable, and immediate. No opening up your amp, waiting 10 minutes for the caps to discharge, going in with pliers, and then losing all audio memory of what it sounded like before. With EQ, you can hear it immediately and tune to get exactly what you want. When you alter the sound signature with an op amp, more than likely you are just making the amplifier perform non-linearly. I’ve had op amps before I though “increased detail” and upon further inspection just increased harmonic distortion in the treble. That DAC I rolled op amps in came with its own flat factory measurements made with a $15k SYS-2722. I look back and wonder what I was thinking to mess with precisely measured perfection. I could only make it deviate from that perfection. All I did when I tried rolling op amps was mess up good engineering.

This is a good read about op amp myths: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/op-amps-myths-facts.html
Truth is they sound very different no mattaer what voltage supplied is applied, your theory is not proving in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread