Living Things Ahead of the Lions (new hard rock)
Nov 20, 2005 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Picked up the new debut by Living Things last weekend called "Ahead of the Lions" and this is some kick out the jams rock n roll. Recorded by Steve Albini so it coulda should woulda been pretty dynamic, but unfortunately it's on Sony and was mastered by one of the hacks at Bernie Grundman Mastering so has the typical buzz cut with lots of clipping. Jerks. I remember when the Bernie Grundman name was something to look for on a recording, especially his initials in the dead wax on LPs. No more. Still sounds good for hard rock, but coulda been something really special. Bet it sounded great in the studio. Rocks pretty freakin' good! There's a sticker on the cover by one of the idiot writers at Spin that says, "One of the most ferocious straight ahead rock albums since Nevermind." Yeah, right. I bought it mainly because of the Albini involvement and it's kind of disappointing from that angle, but I still like it a lot and got it for a good deal of just over $5 since it was a promo. Sounds kind of like Blue Oyster Cult, you know, the "don't fear the reaper" guys? Sounds kind of dirty and nasty, and a little dangerous, all good things for rock.

Any of you psychedelic head bangers heard these guys yet?

EDIT: Oh no, just checked the Spin review and they even mention the Blue Oyster Cult sound, but it's really just in the 4th song so don't worry
wink.gif

http://www.spin.com/reviews/magazine...living_things/

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 8
Nov 20, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nepenthe
It's unusual for a CD released a few weeks ago to be down to $3.14 used already.
confused.gif

Well, I picked up a copy for around $5 but that's the link for the "Clean" version which always has less value. The standard release has a bunch of really nice reviews, but it is a lot more popular than most of the stuff I listen to and Sony obviously sent out a ton of promos. Also be careful because it apparently went promo about a year ago in a different version and most say the released version is better. But looking at the normal one there's a lot of those available too for cheap. Fun CD.

Nov 20, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 8
I bought the CD after downloading Bom Bom as the free single of the week on itunes a few weeks back.

I like it. It definitely has a mid 70's unadorned straight old school rock feel. You can hear blue oyster cult, foghat, a little rolling stones too.

Good stuff and Bom Bom is a catchy tune

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
I bought the CD after downloading Bom Bom as the free single of the week on itunes a few weeks back.

I like it. It definitely has a mid 70's unadorned straight old school rock feel. You can hear blue oyster cult, foghat, a little rolling stones too.

Good stuff and Bom Bom is a catchy tune

Yeah, I'm really liking it. Has a bit of the NIN sound too at times which brings it into the present. Lots of good songs. These guys should be pretty popular if they aren't already. Almost like a modern ZZ Top with a socio-politico consciousness. Tres Hombres meets the Downward Spiral
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I got this, too. It's sorta answers the question, what if Jet was actually *good*.
tongue.gif
A promising debut, finally some *real* rock 'n roll from a young band.

Nov 22, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
That Amazon link has no samples. Does anybody know of a link that does?

That link is for the clean version. Just go to the normal CD listing at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...music&v=glance or you can download the single at quite a few places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back