Living in Boston?
Feb 1, 2005 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Serow

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have an interview coming up in Boston - actually in the town of Natick. I know nothing about the city, housing prices, best neighborhoods etc.

Assuming I get the job, where should I be looking to live? I'm not sure if it would be best to try to get a place in Natick or another Boston suburb.

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 34
How much are you looking to spend? Boston is not cheap. I was paying $600 a month for a room in a 3 bedroom apartment in Southie - not exactly the nicest neighborhood.

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 34
There's plenty of nice areas in Boston. You probably won't want to be right in the city unless you're independently wealthy, but someplace like Watertown or Brighton can be relatively affordable and decent. As a warning, the closer in your are the more difficult parking is, so if you're bringing a car, make sure to factor that in before you pick a place. Especially if you don't switch to MA registration and get a resident parking sticker, that can be nuts. (Parts of Brighton have non-resident, free street parking.)

It's expensive, but it's a wicked awesome town.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 34
If your're working in Natick, and want to live in Boston for the social scene, I'd recommend living in Allston, Brighton, or Brookline. I'd estimate that its about a 3/4 hour commute to Natick from Brookline. Be prepared to pay at least $800 a month for a studio apartment. Your best bet would probably to find a place to share. Check craigslist Boston.

If you want a shorter commute, you could look for an apartment in Natick itself, or in Marlborough. It's about 15 minutes west of Natick and has lots of apartment housing. Its a boring commuter town though. If you want to save even more on rent, you could live in the city of Worcester. Its easily accessible to Natick from the Mass Turnpike. I'd estimate that the commute is probably also about 3/4 an hour to Natick. Worcester has a lot of great restaurants, but its nightlife is a shadow of Bostons'. Should be pretty cheap to live there, though there are some sketchy areas safety-wise.

Good luck!

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 34
Thanks guys. I'm interviewing with MathWorks, who make the scientific software MATLAB.

I have a feeling I'll be looking at something like $1000 a month for rent in a decent, safe place. Murdoch, do you have any idea what the scene/life in Natick itself is like? I think I'd prefer a short commute to work, and then haul myself into Boston on the weekends - 3/4 hour each way to work would suck.

Cheers

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 34
Natick is basically a shopping-mall mecca. Route 9 though Natick and Framingham is lined with strip malls and shopping malls. Its also a bedroom community for commuters into Boston. Its a safe place to live, but there's not much to do at night besides eating out at chain restaurants and going out to the movies. But you can afford to live there on $1000 a month rent.

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 34
Don't live there in Boston unless you can afford an appartment building with thick walls, a good amount of separation between your neighbors, and if you plan on paying twelve dollars for a pound of tomatoes..

rolleyes.gif

I live in Mass. for school (since I needed to get away from the dormrooms there, too depressing). While the appartment is a great change, there are its downsides. Particularly the neighbors and the thin walls. Speakers are a no-no here.

As soon as I finish undergrad at MIT, I'm outta here. I already have an appartment owned by the faimily in NYC in the West Side, and I hate all the Red Sox fans here anyhow
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serow
Thanks guys. I'm interviewing with MathWorks, who make the scientific software MATLAB.

I have a feeling I'll be looking at something like $1000 a month for rent in a decent, safe place. Murdoch, do you have any idea what the scene/life in Natick itself is like? I think I'd prefer a short commute to work, and then haul myself into Boston on the weekends - 3/4 hour each way to work would suck.

Cheers

Bah! You should interview with Wolfram Research, the guys that do Mathematica, out here in Champaign-Urbana. That way you can live in the cheaper locale of central Illinois. It's much better than Boston because out here you have... well... cows... corn... and umm.... OH GOD DON'T LET ME LIVE IN THIS HELL HOLE ALONE!!!!!!

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 34
When in Boston be sure to try Legal Seafood!

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 34
The only thing I know about Boston that is the legendary home of Robert Orr (No 4.) The best ever hockey player. Yeah there are the wayne gretzky's and the mario lemieux's but no 4 was special. He was a defensemen who revoulutionised the game of hockey for defensemen. His Stats speak for themselves. 2 stanley cups, numerous art ross's, multiple mvp's and james norris winners, usually in the same season. Had an amazing career cut short by constant knee injuries.

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 34
Boston's a great city - July 4th fireworks with the Boston Pops on the Charles River, Faneuil Hall, the bars, seafood, Cambridge, proximity to Cape Cod and the people. It is a friendly city, despite the fans hating my NY Jets. Check out Cambridge if you can afford it - still has the feel of the city, but a calmer environment. The only down side is the weather, but the temperate summers just make that worthwhile...

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 34
Where you would want to live should depend on your age, whether you're married or living alone. etc. But since it sounds like you're young and single, I would highly recommend living somewhere not too far out, with good access to public transportation -- the T (subway and streetcar system) if possible, or else the commuter rail. Boston is a real walking town and there are tons of things to do there (music, movies, restaurants), lots of educated young people, interesting neighborhoods. It's terrific to have so much at your doorstep. I lived in Boston about 15 years ago and I know it's gotten more expensive, but as a student town there should be housing options for somebody with an actual salary!

I eventually got tired of Boston and moved back to New York City. For a big, cosmpolitan city it's very tribal -- people tend to cluster together by neighborhood, and it will probably take you awhile to get a feel for things. Often it feels like an overgrown college town -- I believe that there are about a quarter million college/university students in the metro area! But it's definitely a city with an exceptional amount to offer compared to just about anything but the big leagues (New York, London) and I'm not sorry I spent to time there.

Also, the city itself is ringed by old towns that never got incorporated into the city proper but are very urbane -- Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, etc. Since Natick is west of Boston, it might make sense to look at the neighborhoods in that direction: Allston, Brighton, Brookline, etc. Cambridge is probably the liveliest spot; the adjacent towns of Somerville (more blue collar) and Arlington (more suburban and affordable) take some of the overspill.

Good Luck!

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serow
Assuming I get the job, where should I be looking to live? I'm not sure if it would be best to try to get a place in Natick or another Boston suburb.

I've been in Boston for 5 years now, met my wife here and even had a baby... So I do like it quite a bit! I live in Arlington, which is great if you're married with kids.

I've lived in Charlestown, Cambridge, and Alston-Brighton. Since you seem yound and single, I'd recommend getting a small place in Back Bay, preferably east of Dartmouth Street - close to the commons, charles river, tons to do and see all within walking distance. And your commute to work will be *against* the traffic, not with it, so it won't be too bad. Then you'll have the quentessential Boston experience and can move on from there.

I wouldn't recommend living in Natick.

Austin

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_J
And your commute to work will be *against* the traffic, not with it, so it won't be too bad.

I wouldn't recommend living in Natick.

Austin

I wouldn't want to live in Natick either, but commuting by car around the Boston area is hell. Even against the worst of the traffic its still a major headache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back