Livewires Trips review (with impressions of many other customs)
Nov 22, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #31 of 66

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
project86, thank you for taking the time to write such an insightful review. And for answering questions, too.

Yes agreed, if I haven't said so before its a wonderful review and you've been great answering questions.
I think I need to think about what I'm to do, I think I would actually be a fool getting some jh13's or even jh11's because these would be for portable use and I would be carrying them in my rucksack 99% of the time..and I would be devastated to loose a pair of £800 IEM's, not quite so if it was a £300 pair like the trips. I was just wondering really if the trips sound that similar to the ES3X and I trust your opinion and it seems they do, the sound sig of the ES3X from reviews seems like something I would like so..yea they're still the top option.
Question..do you think if I sent livewires an enyo cable they could modify it with their own plug at the same time as making my trips?

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #33 of 66

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure about the Enyo cable. To be honest, I'm not a believer in cables sounding different (a very unpopular opinion around here) so I wouldn't bother with it. But you could certainly call them or email and ask. If they won't do it, you can purchase one of their spare cables ($15 right now) and do the mod yourself. It should be fairly easy.

I've read a bunch of other Livewires Trips reviews on Jaben, as well as posted my own (same thing as here). Some people seem to have the same opinions as me, and some disagree. The biggest complaint seems to be that some feel the highs do not extend quite as high as TF10. For me that is completely not the case but as I always say, everyone literally hears things differently, and every custom is slightly different as well. All the reviews I've read there conclude the Livewires are a great buy, and some of the reviews are quite well done. It's a good forum worth checking out if you want to research the Trips more.

Thanks for all the "kudos" (isn't that a delicious snack?). I really just did this for fun, since I found myself in the somewhat unique position of being able to compare all those models. I've learned that I would never want to be a professional reviewer.... trying your best to explain how something sounds is hard enough without having people potentially get mad at you because they disagree (not that anyone has really done that but it could happen), or because you didn't use their preferred terminology (that happened a bit at Jaben), or because you insulted one of their favorite IEMs, etc. A big thank you to everyone on this forum who has ever done a product review, large or small.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #34 of 66

Sinocelt

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the "kudos" (isn't that a delicious snack?).

Maybe?
kudos.png

What's your brother's opinion on his own customs, BTW? And are the Trips less thick than the other customs because of where the cable is placed? How comfortable are the different cables: are they easy to set above your ears, and do they stay there?

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #35 of 66

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's your brother's opinion on his own customs, BTW? And are the Trips less thick than the other customs because of where the cable is placed? How comfortable are the different cables: are they easy to set above your ears, and do they stay there?

My brother is a nut. He rotates through all his customs regularly even though he clearly likes some less than others. He agrees with me for the most part though; he favors ES3X and JH13 most, followed by UE10 and UE11, then the rest. He also wishes they were built of the same material as Sensaphonics 2XS (which he owned but they kept breaking), as he found that more comfortable. When pressed, he says the JH13 is nearly perfect but wishes they would either lose the bass hump and be perfectly flat, or else sweeten the mids a tad like the ES3X and become super fun. Easier said than done I suppose.

For large cans, his favorites are the Stax, HE90, Sony R10, HD800, and PS1000, although he really enjoys them all for various reasons. I guess at that price level it is all pretty good.

I do think the unique connector makes the Livewires thinner than the rest. The ES3X is nearly as thin. JH13 is the thickest by a bit, and therefore stick out of the ears a tad more, not that it really matters.

All the cables worked well enough for me; once in place over the ear they pretty much stay there. I like it that the Livewires let me hang the wires straight down but that's just a personal preference. I do wish all cables were a bit shorter but again that's just me. The cables pretty much appear to be from the same source except for a few minor details. I'm waiting for Livewires to send me their "heavy duty" cable (which looks a lot like a UE SF3 style thick cable) for active use, so it doesn't snap if I snag it on something. All the other cables seemed a tiny bit fragile to me.

By the way, I just read the review in your sig and it was suberb. I like the hearing test links; wish I had thought of that.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #36 of 66

Sinocelt

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

My brother is a nut.

The Snickers to your Twix?

Quote:

He rotates through all his customs regularly even though he clearly likes some less than others. He agrees with me for the most part though; he favors ES3X and JH13 most, followed by UE10 and UE11, then the rest.

Has he tried your Trips?

Quote:

He also wishes they were built of the same material as Sensaphonics 2XS (which he owned but they kept breaking),

What was breaking? The silicon mold? The cable? The drivers?

Quote:

I do think the unique connector makes the Livewires thinner than the rest. The ES3X is nearly as thin. JH13 is the thickest by a bit, and therefore stick out of the ears a tad more, not that it really matters.

Unless one wants to sleep with them, on the side.

Quote:

All the cables worked well enough for me; once in place over the ear they pretty much stay there. I like it that the Livewires let me hang the wires straight down but that's just a personal preference. I do wish all cables were a bit shorter but again that's just me. The cables pretty much appear to be from the same source except for a few minor details. I'm waiting for Livewires to send me their "heavy duty" cable (which looks a lot like a UE SF3 style thick cable) for active use, so it doesn't snap if I snag it on something. All the other cables seemed a tiny bit fragile to me.

I don't mind fragile too much, since they're replaceable, but I wish they were more discreet, as on Sleek Audio's CT6:

in_use_sleek_customs.jpg

Quote:

By the way, I just read the review in your sig and it was suberb.

Ah ah, thanks, but we both know my review's a joke compared to yours.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I like the hearing test links; wish I had thought of that.

Well, it's not too late! Unless you mistreated your brother's customs and he won't let you touch them ever again.
tongue.gif

My own tests are flawed, though, simply because I've used the basic sound card of my T60 notebook. Not really audiophile material.
redface.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #37 of 66

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
just booked in crap load of jobs at work which means lots of expenses..on 1st Jan I should have ~£850. All in, including the impressions, shipping to-and-fro, and custom art work, the JH13's are £800....

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #38 of 66

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Sinocelt:

He did try my Trips, but not til my review was done (to not influence me). He independently concluded that they are just ES3X at less than half the price. He will not be purchasing Trips because he already owns that sound, but thinks they are a great achievement.

His Sensaphonics broke a total of 3 times before he gave up on them. Once it was a cable issue, similar to the Shure SE530 issues people have had. Then it was the low freqency driver in one ear, followed by the high frequency driver in the other ear. Apparently they had great customer service but he just got tired of it after a while. He claims they were among the best available at the time for sound, and by far the most confortable, so it's really a shame. He ended up selling them to someone who was going to try and have them remolded.

I do really like the design of the cable on the Sleeks. But it seems it might negate the ability to wear the cables hanging down rather than over the ear, which is often my prefered method. If Sleek placed them where Livewires does, or if Livewires used a small connector like the sleeks, that would be perfect.

But I really meant what I said about your review; when reviewing headphones that mostly cost under $100, you shouldn't need a top quality source. It's assumed that the intended user would not have one either. So your results are totally valid.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #39 of 66

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just booked in crap load of jobs at work which means lots of expenses..on 1st Jan I should have ~£850. All in, including the impressions, shipping to-and-fro, and custom art work, the JH13's are £800....

Good plan. I hope you absolutely love whatever you decide on (and really, with the options we are discussing you can't go wrong). My only advice is to take very wide mouthed impressions.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #40 of 66

Sinocelt

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

He did try my Trips, but not til my review was done (to not influence me). He independently concluded that they are just ES3X at less than half the price. He will not be purchasing Trips because he already owns that sound, but thinks they are a great achievement.

Niiice!

Quote:

His Sensaphonics broke a total of 3 times before he gave up on them. Once it was a cable issue, similar to the Shure SE530 issues people have had. Then it was the low freqency driver in one ear, followed by the high frequency driver in the other ear. Apparently they had great customer service but he just got tired of it after a while. He claims they were among the best available at the time for sound, and by far the most confortable, so it's really a shame. He ended up selling them to someone who was going to try and have them remolded.

When remolding gets common, maybe I can get customs with JH13 drivers, Westone vinyl tips, Sleek Audio cables, and LiveWires pricing.
tongue.gif

Sleek Audio is supposed to come out with the CT9, a higher-end model, but it was announced for "in 6-8 months" in January, and there's still nothing on the horizon.

I'll certainly buy the JH13. We'll see how tempting JH's Black Friday sales is. I hoped they would have one, and yes, indeed, they will. Another $100 rebate, I guess, like they did on Tweeter and like they do at conventions.

Quote:

I do really like the design of the cable on the Sleeks. But it seems it might negate the ability to wear the cables hanging down rather than over the ear, which is often my prefered method. If Sleek placed them where Livewires does, or if Livewires used a small connector like the sleeks, that would be perfect.

Actually, Sleek Audio does offer such placement as an option -- or used to. There are still pictures of customs like that on their website. But even as the connector is most commonly placed, as in the picture I've posted, I don't see why it would prevent you from wearing the cables in a downward fashion; the connector rotates, after all.

On the other hand, their wireless solution has to be worn in the neck--the very short cables leaving no other option.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #41 of 66

dkijc

New Head-Fier
Hey thanks for the great extensive and informative review!
Mad props!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a quick question. I just received my Trips (after two months of wait! ) and is there any way to tell the difference between the dual and the trips?

I ordered a trip and mine seem to only have two holes, while your picture 'looks' like it has three holes for the ear canals.

I just want to make sure I wasn't ripped off
wink.gif

Thanks alot!

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 66

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkijc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey thanks for the great extensive and informative review!
Mad props!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a quick question. I just received my Trips (after two months of wait! ) and is there any way to tell the difference between the dual and the trips?

I ordered a trip and mine seem to only have two holes, while your picture 'looks' like it has three holes for the ear canals.

I just want to make sure I wasn't ripped off
wink.gif

Thanks alot!

Once again I'm sorry about the pics..... I'm getting an SLR camera soon and forcing myself to learn how to properly take a picture. The dual and triple driver models both have just two outlets, just like pretty much every other custom IEM. On the Trips, the mids and highs combine into the same sound tube.

I'm not sure what color you got, so I know it could be tricky compared to the clear version, but look inside at your drivers. You should have one large driver for bass. The other thing in there should look like two tiny drivers stuck together, both sharing one sound tube. Both of them combined are actually smaller than the single unit used for mids/highs in the dual driver model. Other things to look for are the extra wiring (which is a sort of gold color as opposed to the green and red standard wiring) and the acoustic damper (which appears as a red thing plugging up your low frequency sound tube). If you spot these things, you've got Trips.

I know it's hard to find many pics of the Trips, but look for pics of the Westone ES3X since it uses the same drivers. You'll then see what I mean about the dual mid/high driver. You are right to be confused; at first glance and from some angles it does indeed look like a single driver.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #43 of 66

dkijc

New Head-Fier
Hey, Thanks for the answer
smily_headphones1.gif

I see three drivers I guess (one gold one that connects to the cable, large, and small silver drivers). I think that's how yours is also?

I have another problem, tho (I THINK it is...). The fit is a little uncomfortable on both sides. More so on the left, it seems like the end where it has two outlets (holes) right side is smooth while the left side is sharp. Also, not the part where you put it into the ear canal, but the bigger bump at the top to hook on to your ear (hope that made sense) it seems like it is protruding too much and puts little pressure on where it's resting.

Also, is it normal to hurt inside the ear canal when I push a 'tad' bit to tighten the shield?

Thanks so much, again!
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. I have hard time taking it off from the left side because of that big protrusion and if I have it on for a while enduring a little pressure, it hurts a bit to take it off. lol

pps. I sent them an email, lets see what they say :|

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #44 of 66

Paradoxus

Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkijc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Thanks for the answer
smily_headphones1.gif

I see three drivers I guess (one gold one that connects to the cable, large, and small silver drivers). I think that's how yours is also?

I have another problem, tho (I THINK it is...). The fit is a little uncomfortable on both sides. More so on the left, it seems like the end where it has two outlets (holes) right side is smooth while the left side is sharp. Also, not the part where you put it into the ear canal, but the bigger bump at the top to hook on to your ear (hope that made sense) it seems like it is protruding too much and puts little pressure on where it's resting.

Also, is it normal to hurt inside the ear canal when I push a 'tad' bit to tighten the shield?

Thanks so much, again!
smily_headphones1.gif

ps. I have hard time taking it off from the left side because of that big protrusion and if I have it on for a while enduring a little pressure, it hurts a bit to take it off. lol

pps. I sent them an email, lets see what they say :|

I have the exact same problem! I'm in a dilemma whether to send them for a refit as well and having to wait another 2 months or so.. Let me know what they say?

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #45 of 66

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
The gold thing is not a driver; that's the part that houses the connector which makes contact when you plug in your cable. It also has the crossover parts. Look again at the smaller silver "box" and you should see that it is really 2 "boxes" connected together. It is a dual driver unit, handling mids and highs.

As for the fit; if something is actually sharp to the point where it is poking you, then yes that should be sent back to be sanded/buffed/whatever they do. If it just feels odd, you might give it a week or so to get used to it.

Years ago, when I tried my first custom, it felt like it was stretching my ear out. I could only use it for an hour or less before my ear would ache quite badly. After trying an hour a day for about a week, things started gradually feeling better until it no longer hurt; in fact it fit like a glove.

If it is not stabbing you or anything serious, I'd give it a little time and see if your ear adjusts. Also of course contact LiveWires and see what they suggest. I'm not sure if a minor adjustment or refit will take 2 months though; it was my understanding that the backorder of drivers for the Trips caused the delay. My dual driver models made it to me in just over 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread