Livewires or SuperFreQ or FreQShow
Jul 28, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at Ety's website
Etymotic Research, Inc. - Earphone Comparision

In terms of accuracy, 4S scores 92% vs 4P 86%, which is even lower than ER6 !
But again, score means nothing until you try it, your ears are always the final judge.

accuracy scores are dumb. they are also in absolutely quiet environments. isolation isnt as good at lower frequencies. when you are out and about, you WILL want more bass because noise permeates in that region, so you wont be able to hear the details and it will sound thinner. Why not have that option available, for when you go back to a quiet environment?

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 25
what exactlyis the p-s cable? It is just a 75 ohm connector? If so, can I jut buy a 75ohm mini plug?

Thanks

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 25
my understanding is that the p-s cable is just 2 resistors, one for each channel , of about 75 ohm, to bring the impedance that the amp sees up to 100 ohm.

but thats really not the same as a true 100 ohm headphone. since all it really does is waste 3/4 of the power. (and just maybe make the amp perform better cos higher load)

whats a 75 ohm connector? you don't mean an aerial connector do you? thos are called 75 ohm, but there are no resistors in them...

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #21 of 25
hehe i don't know what I am talking about. But this is the plug in question 亦軒網上耳機目錄 Mingo-HMW.net

Sorry but it is in Chinese.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #23 of 25
Tom, whats your portable rig like ?

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 25
i don't really have one... I don't even have an ipod...

I'm a musician, I use headphones in the studio, and am looking for IEMs for live gigs.

I have UM2, atrio and UM1, strangely i prefer the UM1, with EQ it sounds ok. I use a RME fireface 800 audio interface on the computer (not portable!) which has a decent headphone out, and i've made a cmoy as an extra headphone amp, it sounds ok, but not quite as clean as the fireface.

we'll probably start using a couple of cmoys or other homemade amps on belt packs for live gigs, with whatever IEMs we end up liking best...

I built the extra resistors into my cmoy, so it copes fine with low Z phones, and Hi Z phones are not much affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back