Live Sound Engineer Replacing My MDR-7506s
Jul 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pchc_lx

New Head-Fier
hi

i am a live sound engineer and need to get a new pair of cans to replace my sony mdr 7506s. i will say that i was very satisfied with those headphones and right now i am 90% sure i'm going to buy another pair, but i thought i'd ask for recommendations first.

i've noticed a lot of interest on this site is geared towards boutique, music listening setups. this is not my situation, i need clear, FLAT representation, decent to strong isolation and serious reliability; mostly pre-amped from the headphone-out on a midas or soundcraft mixing console but i do also stick em in the ipod on the way to work : )

in-ears could be cool, and i'll take suggestions for them but that's not really what i'm looking for. any and all feedback is appreciated. thanks!

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 15
the equation rp-21 is supposed to be like an mdr-v6 without the piercing spike at 7khz.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 15
What about these? I've heard good things about them

Roland RH-200

http://www.music123.com/Roland-RH-20...26122.Music123

I'll go and try to give them a test run today (unamped :/) at a local music store. I'm interested in these atm and I'm sure you will be too. They just aren't popular on Head-fi for some reason.

mmm....interesting customer review

"Great phones, the best I've heard" by Roy Pakston
3/15/2004 8:12:54 PM

Musical Experience: Quality assurance
Style of Music: None.
Hometown: -

I have used Grado (RS-1, HP-1, SR225, SR200), as well as Sony (V6, CD3000), and high-end Stax (SR-404, SR-303) as well as Sennheisers (HD-457, HD-580, HD-600), and these are by far the best I've heard. The midrange is clean, and natural. The bass hits with authority, and yet has a clean delicacy, and "Texture". The treble is extended, but not harsh. These are it folks! The best cans possible.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 15
HD600? since u mentined Flat..they are most flat.

graphCompare.php

they are used by some engineers i read.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600? since u mentined Flat..they are most flat.

Yes, but do they offer "decent to strong isolation"?

At least you didn't suggest grados. Though i suspect someone will.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 15
M-Audio Q40.....I love mine.
Ive done live sound years ago, and these will probably work out well for you.
The cable is easily replaceable also.
Easy to drive from an ipod, and mixer. Long cable, decent isolation but not the last word.

You can also check out Fostex T20rp, and t50rp.
My old vintage Fostex t20rp is excellent.
I heard the new one isnt as good, but its worth checking out for the price, which isnt expensive at $59-69 approximately.
Sony makes DJ cans also...Sony 700dj or something like that. I havent heard them, but do check them out.
All of these should be at Guitar center, or Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, etc.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 15
stick with the 7506s, nothing else is as suited to live sound, imho. Durable, compact, emphasize the high end so it cuts through the room sound.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also check out Fostex T20rp, and t50rp.
My old vintage Fostex t20rp is excellent.
I heard the new one isnt as good, but its worth checking out for the price, which isnt expensive at $59-69 approximately.

The old T50 has a completely open back and is rarer than hens teeth.

T20 is vented. T40 is the closed version, and the 2-years-discontinued version of the T40 is pretty alright with a couple tweaks.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 15
what about 7509 ?

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Firstly, post number 1 so Hi to all
smily_headphones1.gif

Secondly, I'm in the same position, needing a closed headphone with a flat detailed sound for live monitoring. I've been recommended the Beyer DT150 so there's another to consider pchc lx. I'll be interested to know what you've chosen.

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Since no one has mentioned IEMs yet, even though he asked...what about the Etymotic ER-4S? Best isolation you can get, extremely flat and neutral presentation, and extremely revealing. You're not going to get the same sound as what you're hearing "out on the floor", but if you need a reference monitor sound, these are the bee's knees.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stick with the 7506s, nothing else is as suited to live sound, imho. Durable, compact, emphasize the high end so it cuts through the room sound.

Ditto. The 7506 is a studio standard for a reason. Nothing else will give you the same combination of qualities. The HD280 Pro is the closest I can think of, but that thing is seriously not reliable (known headband cracking issue) and doesn't have much in the way of lows.

If you want a bit more soundstage you could try the A900, but not having heard the 7506 in quite some time I'm not sure if it's anything like the A900 in the mids. The latter is somewhat tipped up in the upper mids, but a lot of Japanese headphones are voiced that way.

I'd say stick with the 7506.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back