live acoustic music...
Dec 20, 2002 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
as I sit here in the base library/computer lab, the Navy Brass Band is christmas caroling (jazzed up xmas music). This all of a sudden raised my mood from "whatever" to "feelin' good". Gosh do I love live music! I can listen to practically any live acoustic music, even country. (have danced to it with a girl I met there at a campground before, lol) The smooth beautifully rich sound has me mesmerized. IT SOUNDS SO GOD DAMN GOOD! Yet I'm frustrated as a @#%*)#$ because I only get to hear live music occasionally. I wish I could get reproduced music to sound even half as good so much!

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I wish I could get reproduced music to sound even half as
good so much!

What's your budget???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

If you're willing to spend enough I bet you can get to your goal!!!

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Even if I had my dream speaker system (obtainable), I know that I still wont get what my heart desires. However, I'm not an anal person, and I know that I'll sooner or later have both a headphone system and speaker system that I can enjoy without feeling I've made a compromise.

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Sorry, I guess what you're saying is for a full-sized system for now, and a headphone system later??

You can start with some basic components that will work for both systems, like a Melos SHA Gold Reference pre amp as that can be used as one of the best head amps out there!!! They can be had for about $1100 with the upgrade work already done by Melos Audio Restoration. Hard to beat as a pre amp or head amp.

The source could also be common, so only one would be needed. A used Arcam FMJ CD23(newer T version if you wanted) can be had and is absolutely incredible. Audiogon puts up used ones all the time.

The last thing would be cabling: That's east, but not cheap: Virtual Dynamics Nite series IC to go between CDP and head amp, .5m length, and another .5-1m from pre/head amp to amp. These are hands down the best, and cheapest for what they do, cables out there!!!

Speakers & Speaker Cables: personal preference, you'll have to decide there, but these will cost the most out of all these components!!! Especially since your criteria is for them to sound live.

Voila!! You've now got a dual system that will knock your socks off!!!

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 7
I appreciate your enthusiasm to help me out, however, I wasn't in any need of your guidance. I already have things in mind that I'd like to get. I'm near the point where I am positive that I'll be set for a while once I complete the system/s.
One component that eludes me due to price though, is the Cary CD-303/200. I will eventually have this CD player which will finish my journey in audio equipment. I might play around with some speaker cables / power cords and stuff, but the Cary's the end of the road for me as far as major components goes.

I was just venting...

The speakers that captured my heart are unpractical (too big, and requires too expensive of an amp). So I am in search of a monitor that I can find harmony with. I have my eyes set on Totem Model 1 Signature. Two of my friends whom I trust their words very much have commented that these just sing. Hopefully my ears will agree when I take a road trip to Canada to audition these beauties. that's not the main reason for me planning to go there though. =P

I really dig the Melos SHA-1. However, I believe the Kevin Gilmore amp might be the right one for me. If not, I'll most definately contact carlo.

As for interconnects, I'm content with my Totem Acoustic Sinew's (thanks Vert
wink.gif
).

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I appreciate your enthusiasm to help me out, however, I wasn't in any need of your guidance.

consider me chastised and mute from now on!!! Sorry, I thought you were looking for advice. Sorry bout the mix up.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Please, go on if you'd like. Someone else might find the advice relevant and quite useful. I'd consider the advice you just gave as trustworthy and would definately look into it if I were to receive it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back