Little Help Picking Headphones
Oct 21, 2008 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Midn1ght

New Head-Fier
Hey all, ive been reviewing a bunch of headphones, and i can't make up my mind.

what im looking for:
comfortable (wear them 3 hours a day)
portable (using them with laptop)
closed ear (using them in a lounge or library)

Im looking for something around the $120 range, so if you guys have any suggestions that'd be great.

I've been looking at the AKG 271 MKII, AKG 272 HD, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, but all are just a bit out of my pricerange at $150+.

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm thinking...Denon AH-D1001 or MAudio Q40. The latter is more portable as they fold up nicely, but are also more expensive. SQ-wise, the word seems to be that the Q40s have a slight edge.

Disclaimer: I own and enjoy a D1001, and have never tried the Q40.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 14
I own the Q-40s and I can say that they are semi portable. They do fold up but the total size would fit in a bag easy. Not so much for walking around since they are biggish and aren't too comfortable around the neck.

Isolate probably as well as the denons, but the word is they aren't as comfortable. I stretched the headband overnight along the box and I can wear them for 3 hours+ comfortably (my head is biggish too).

Disclaimer: Never used denons before.

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midn1ght /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm i shall look into these.
do you guys just get them off amazon/ebay? or whats a good place with prices?

If using headphones in a library or similar environment, you'll want it to be good at not leaking sound out. That should rule out the D1001 and maybe a few others mentioned. You'll also want headphones that are comfortable and sound OK without an amp. As for your headphones being portable, do you need it to be able to fold up into a more compact size, or does that feature not matter to you?

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the Q-40s and I can say that they are semi portable. They do fold up but the total size would fit in a bag easy. Not so much for walking around since they are biggish and aren't too comfortable around the neck.
Isolate probably as well as the denons

Yea, good point about not being great to walk around with the M40s. But it sounded like he just wanted to bring them to the library. Also, I certainly hope the Q40s isolate BETTER than the Denons. The Denons don't isolate well at all...

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If using headphones in a library or similar environment, you'll want it to be good at not leaking sound out. That should rule out the D1001 and maybe a few others mentioned.

Hmm, I don't have a leakage issue unless I crank the volume far higher than is healthy.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I don't have a leakage issue unless I crank the volume far higher than is healthy.

I've read conflicting reports on this regarding the D1001, for example, post #4 in this thread. This difference in opinion on how well the D1001 does not leak sound may be explained in part by how well it fits (tightness) and sits on or around the ears; I don't know. For the most part, however, I don't read much about the D1001 being recommended for use in dorm rooms or libraries or work cubicles where the highest priority may be that sound not leak out and bother others.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 14
You're probably right about the leakage-fitting issue. I wonder if people are putting them on right, though. The cup angles are adjustable, but not obviously so. Perhaps people are jut plopping them on and adjusting the band length. I'd recommend them in dorm rooms, libraries, and/or work cubicles. Indeed, I use them in the latter two and also in my bedroom when others are around working. Seems to work fine. The contexts in which I wouldn't recommend them are: Outdoors, buses, trains, subway stations, airplanes.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably right about the leakage-fitting issue. I wonder if people are putting them on right, though. The cup angles are adjustable, but not obviously so. Perhaps people are jut plopping them on and adjusting the band length. I'd recommend them in dorm rooms, libraries, and/or work cubicles. Indeed, I use them in the latter two and also in my bedroom when others are around working. Seems to work fine. The contexts in which I wouldn't recommend them are: Outdoors, buses, trains, subway stations, airplanes.

OK, hopefully your recommendation will lead to many more recommendations by others. Of course it also may be desirable to have headphones in public that don't isolate well so to help keep an awareness of what's going on, and the D1001 would be good for that too.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 14
My Q40's definitely have some isolation. They do not leak when I have the volume up to around 50% on an ipod touch unless youre like sitting right up on me. Then again I have no problem using cans like the Porta Pros in a library. I can however here if someone says my name at a normal tone about 7-10 feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back