Little Dot X1 - Info and Impressions
Oct 15, 2015 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pr0ggy

100+ Head-Fier
Started searching for balanced options for my HD600s, stumbled across this new offering from LD.  Didn't see a thread, decided to start one!

From the official product page:

Quote:
 The Little Dot X1 leverages 10+ years of amplifier design expertise to present the pinnacle in Little Dot performance and audio quality. Developed as the ultimate general purpose amplifier, the Little Dot X1 pushes a massive 6W per channel into current hungry low impedance headphones, and over 1W per channel into 300 ohm loads. The precision components, including Kendeil, Vishay, ELNA and SILMIC II silk capacitors, were carefully chosen for maximum synergy; delivering unparalleled purity of sound, bombastic dynamics, silky details, and three dimensional sound-stage imaging. 

The Little Dot X1 is a fully balanced amplifier featuring two sets of balanced outputs: a 4-pin XLR as well as a 2x 3-pin XLR output which can also be used as a pre-amp output. Single-ended functionality is also supported via a standard 6.35 mm TRS headphone jack. On the input side, the rear panel contains a set of 3-pin XLR inputs as well as a pair of RCA jacks. The Little Dot X1 actively converts single-ended input into a fully balanced signal so you can enjoy maximum audio performance without the need of a balanced source. 

1. Inputs: (2) 3-pin XLR, (2) RCA
  2. Outputs: (1) 4-pin XLR headphone output, (1) 6.35mm TRS headphone output, (2) 3-pin XLR headphone/pre-amp output
  3. Total Distortion: 0.001% (2V rms @ 1000Hz)
  4. Signal to Noise: 98dB
  5. Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 100 KHz (-3dB), 10 Hz - 50 KHz (-1dB)
  6. Output Power: 6W per channel @ 32 ohms, 1W per channel @ 300 ohms
  7. Gain Settings: High (5x) and Low (3x)
  8. Power Consumption: 60 VA
  9. Dimensions: 350 x 290 x 60(H) mm
  10. Weight: 5 Kg
  11. Warranty: 5 years
  12. Price: 1199 USD plus shipping

Would be very interested to hear if anyone has heard the unit at a meet or took the early plunge and would care to offer some impressions!

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 12
Wow, two years later and still no one has ever pulled the trigger and bought one of these?! C'mon, SOMEONE out there has heard this....? Based on my favorable impressions of their 'giant killer' Mk-VI+, this also seems to certainly have the potential to pound the snot out of anything near this price range. Bueller?? BUELLER?!?.... Anyone?? ...hellooooo......

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 12
I own it. It is a FANTASTIC amp. Got mine with upgrade caps from LD factory, sounds incredible.

I'm shocked nobody else has own. This amp is really, really good folks.

I was able to get a protoype of their 500W Power Conditioner as well and have my X1 and MK6+ in a tri stack. Looks sweet and sounds even sweeter.

Anyone else out there own the X1??

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 12
I've had it for about a year and a half. It's just a top flight amp in every respect.

Tons of power it will literally drive any headphone with ease. Lots of power and slam. But it has this very analog feel to it. It doesn't sound analytical or digital at all.

I have it hooked up to my PS Audio DirectStream and it's an amazing combo. Plus the custom Little Dot 500W Power Conditioner provides a deep black background that the music just effortlessly fills in.

This amp is basically the solid state version of the MK6, thruthfully it sounds a more "accurate" than the MK6. It has outstanding extension in the audio spectrum.

The amp is beautiful, it looks awesome and is high quality. It's pretty heavy too.

I highly recommend the X1. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 12
20180920_112944.jpg

Heres a pic of the Little Dot X1 and LDP500, a custom 110V version I was able to get from the Factory as LD wouldn't sell it to me state side. Don't know why it's an amazing pairing. Their Power Conditioners are great, talked about a lot on Chinese forums... used Google translate to read it.

I get very lousy inconsistent voltage in NJ with lots of voltage drops so this thing helps a lot purifying the power.

MK6 is cropped out sits on top of the X1.

The X1 has a phase inverter and will convert SE to balanced and vice versa.

X1 pairs amazing with anything from Grados to Planars, it will drive the K1000 no problem. I leave mine on the low gain setting as I use it mostly with my Grados and the R10.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 12
I love this amp. I first got the MKIII a while ago and enjoyed it so when I went to go look for the X1, I found a demo unit on sale and have been loving it since. I don't really have much to compare to though. I used to have a Magni 2 so this was quite a big jump. I would describe sound coming out of this amp as POWERFUL, CLEAN, and richly detailed. It was a huge step up from the MKIII and magni.

I use the balanced output to an lcd-3 and my my, they sound like pure bliss. They drive an HD580 just fine too. For both headphones, I never have to turn the volume past 50% and this is on the low gain setting.

I will say though I did have a problem with mine after a couple months of owning it. Two resistors burnt out, the unit was still working but I smelled it so took it apart and found them.
DSC_0073.JPG

I contacted the David guy at little dot and said he could fix it for me for free but I felt making him pay 200+ usd for shipping just to solder two resistor's costing under a dollar was unjust so, under his guidance, I fixed it and gained some soldering basics to boot. It's been perfect since and never regretted this purchase.

Dec 13, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Just got a Little Dot X1 and it sounds absolutely stunning with my HEKse and ZMFs. However, the volume pot seems to have a weird taper. From 0-30%, the volume increase is linear and fairly modest, great for quiet evenings or a more relaxed session. From 30-60% the volume increase is hardly noticeable. Then WHAM! from 70% on the amp seems wield like 80% of its available power which gets from loud to deafening very quickly without compromise. Does anyone share similar experience with their X1?

The only way the X1 is usable to me is by using a preamp to fine control the volume. I am running it off a SMSL M500 right now but I have a Freya S on the way so I can run it off a Bifrost 2.

Attachments

• A7R03015.jpg
    A7R03015.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 12
I am using the X1 in 2023 and it still sounds phenomenal. I can't say how it compares because I haven't felt the need to explore other options. But it's important to note that Little Dot service and support seem nonexistent nowadays, so I'd stay away from their products. If I were in the market for an amp right now, I'd be interested in Schiit Mjolnir 3 or one of Hifiman's newer offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back