little dot Tube Rolling--a bit confused
Oct 16, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Just confused a bit about the little dot tube rolling. For the MK2 and MK3 models, they seem to have two sets of tubes, one pair bigger than the other. Why is this the case? And does this have an effect on what "size" of tube I should buy from ebay? What designates this size? Also, can you do like different combos such as Tube #1 type 1, Tube #2 type 2, Tube #3 type 3, Tube #4 type 4, or should they be paired? And is there a thread on the most popular pairs of the tubes for the mk2 or mk3?

Also what is the difference between ef92 and ef95? are they the sizes?

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Just confused a bit about the little dot tube rolling. For the MK2 and MK3 models, they seem to have two sets of tubes, one pair bigger than the other. Why is this the case? And does this have an effect on what "size" of tube I should buy from ebay? What designates this size? Also, can you do like different combos such as Tube #1 type 1, Tube #2 type 2, Tube #3 type 3, Tube #4 type 4, or should they be paired? And is there a thread on the most popular pairs of the tubes for the mk2 or mk3?

Also what is the difference between ef92 and ef95? are they the sizes?

The larger of the two are the power tubes,they're actually responsible for the final amplification of the audio signal whereas the smaller two are the preamp tubes. You must use tubes that are either of the same type but different manufacture or countries sometimes have their own version of a tube that may be electrically(connection wise)identical to another tube but will have a different physical construction which will lead to sound differences.

Its generally agreed upon that you should keep pairs of tubes the same in terms of type and manufacture though there are no actually dangerous aspects to this but rather this is coming more from a sound quality uniformity issue.

The EF92 and EF95 are different tubes and cannot be interchanged. I'm not incredibly keen on the Little Dot series but I remember there being a jumper that can be changed to allow either type of tube to be used in the amp.

Check the tube rolling threads we have here for the wide line of Little Dot products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back