Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 29, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #11,521 of 13,415
May 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #11,523 of 13,415
I know the czech seller, I bought them from him. Total bargain. I am going to check it if he still offers and let you know.

May 2, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #11,525 of 13,415
May 3, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #11,526 of 13,415
No luck with him. one of our members has kindly answered my request and I will go with that. Damn these things are incredibly hard to find! I would/should live happily ever after with the tubes I have but the urge has come upon me and there's no denying it .

May 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #11,527 of 13,415
Are all of the 6N6P-IR Tubes created equally or do I need to look to make sure they were manufactured in a certain factory? Also I see Gold Grid mentioned in the description of some of them, is that something I need to look out for or are they all the same?

May 14, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #11,528 of 13,415
Are all of the 6N6P-IR Tubes created equally or do I need to look to make sure they were manufactured in a certain factory? Also I see Gold Grid mentioned in the description of some of them, is that something I need to look out for or are they all the same?
Hi w1,
I would just go for the least expensive IRs - did not see anywhere that different factories make a difference.
The gold grid was invented by US manufacturers but they never made any splash about it and I don't think it matters much - just good ol' marketing hype. The amount of gold is minuscule.
From experience I have seen that tubes with copper rods may sound better, and the Russian tube pins make be coated with Rhodium which is good since they do not corrode easily.

May 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #11,529 of 13,415
Hi w1,
I would just go for the least expensive IRs - did not see anywhere that different factories make a difference.
The gold grid was invented by US manufacturers but they never made any splash about it and I don't think it matters much - just good ol' marketing hype. The amount of gold is minuscule.
From experience I have seen that tubes with copper rods may sound better, and the Russian tube pins make be coated with Rhodium which is good since they do not corrode easily.
Thanks for the fast response mordy, that makes the hunt a little easier.

May 17, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #11,530 of 13,415
Hi fellow forum members,

I have recently replaced the driver tubes (for Sylvania) in my MK III and just now I noticed that one of the tubes has a black spot (ca. 1cm) on the top, where there is the silvery coating. I don't think it has been there when I inserted the tubes. The sound seems to be OK in both channels though. Do you think I should remove the tubes?

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #11,531 of 13,415
Hi fellow forum members,

I have recently replaced the driver tubes (for Sylvania) in my MK III and just now I noticed that one of the tubes has a black spot (ca. 1cm) on the top, where there is the silvery coating. I don't think it has been there when I inserted the tubes. The sound seems to be OK in both channels though. Do you think I should remove the tubes?
Hi w2600,
As long as everything sounds fine I would just ignore it. The silver coating (getter flash) is just a coating of Barium to help to maintain a vacuum in the tube. Sometimes this coating is brownish or blackish - doesn't matter.
The only time to worry is when the coating turns white. This means the kiss of death to the tube, because it indicates that the vacuum is lost.

May 17, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #11,532 of 13,415
Hi w2600,
As long as everything sounds fine I would just ignore it. The silver coating (getter flash) is just a coating of Barium to help to maintain a vacuum in the tube. Sometimes this coating is brownish or blackish - doesn't matter.
The only time to worry is when the coating turns white. This means the kiss of death to the tube, because it indicates that the vacuum is lost.
Thanks, Mordy.
In the meantime I took the Sylvania out just to be safe. I didn't want it to explode or something. I inserted a pair of Russian tubes 6zh1p-EV but I am not so fond of their sound. I loved the Mullards the most. They were wonderful. The Sylvania pair was very good too. I remember that the Russian tubes are said to require a long burn-in period.

May 25, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #11,534 of 13,415
Hello,
I do a fair amount of tube rolling in my mk3. Does anyone know where I can buy 7 pin socket savers that will work for this amp? I have hunted high an low.
Btw, i love this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back