Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 22, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #10,576 of 13,430
  I'm new to this forum. I have read quite a bit. You appear in many posts, and it appears that your advice is very good. I have a question for you. (I'm sure it's been answered 100 times within the 700+ pages of posts :)) but I'd like to get a direct answer from you on a recommendation. I have Sennheiser HD 700's. I am running Tidal off my PC. I have a Cambridge audio Dac Magic Plus running into my Little Dot III. From where I started a few months ago, This to me is a great sounding setup. Although I am starting to listen more and feel I am not getting everything available. I enjoy all sorts of music. From Classic Rock, Jazz Classics, and Classical Piano. Female Jazz Vocals Norah Jones and Diana Krall.
My question is this. Without having to re strap, change ,alter, rewire or do any beyond taking out the existing, and replacing them......What tubes would you reccomend I get to maximize the LDMk3 with my HD 700's.

A good and inexpensive start would be the 6HM5 tall tubes, they are a great upgrade from stock drivers. Other than those I would suggest going directly to the "end game" C3g's and adapters, but they might be a little hard to find.

Yugoslavia 6HM5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING/300879467071

With tube sound being 90% personal preference, it will be a hard choice to recommend what tubes will sound great to you.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #10,577 of 13,430
A few years back I had a LD MKIII, and tried all kinds of tubes for it. I found overall that the EF95 type (and equivalents) sounded better to me than the EF92/91 styles. My MKIII died a couple years ago and a few weeks ago I replaced it with a (slightly used) MKIV SE. Now when I try the 92/91 style tubes I really like how they sound. They don't have the dynamics of the EF95's but the extended bass is quite nice. I remember it being more boomy and less controlled with the MKIII (these are the same tubes).

Is it possible that it's the extra oomph of the MKIV and it's upgraded power tubes (from the MKIII) really allow the EF92/91 to shine?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #10,578 of 13,430
  I'm new to this forum. I have read quite a bit. You appear in many posts, and it appears that your advice is very good. I have a question for you. (I'm sure it's been answered 100 times within the 700+ pages of posts :)) but I'd like to get a direct answer from you on a recommendation. I have Sennheiser HD 700's. I am running Tidal off my PC. I have a Cambridge audio Dac Magic Plus running into my Little Dot III. From where I started a few months ago, This to me is a great sounding setup. Although I am starting to listen more and feel I am not getting everything available. I enjoy all sorts of music. From Classic Rock, Jazz Classics, and Classical Piano. Female Jazz Vocals Norah Jones and Diana Krall.
My question is this. Without having to re strap, change ,alter, rewire or do any beyond taking out the existing, and replacing them......What tubes would you reccomend I get to maximize the LDMk3 with my HD 700's.

6n6p-ir
mullards ef95 ,m8xxx

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #10,579 of 13,430

​For powers definitely the 6N6P-IR or 6SN7 (with adapters), for drivers I can only agree with TrollDragon that the C3G is the pinnacle for the LDMK3, the clarity, detail, imaging, and bass are by far the best I've heard, however they are rare and expensive.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #10,581 of 13,430
  Anyone tried MKII with T1 or any 600 Ohm headphone? Works ok?

Yes I use the MKII with the T1 1.1 with the Mullard 8100 and 6N6P-IR and it sounds great, so liquid with the highs tamed.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #10,583 of 13,430
I was thinking to sell my T5p because lately I am not travelling a lot, and to buy a T1.2 but I was not sure if the MK2 is enough.
I own Voskhod 6J1P-EV, but I was expecting to be too bright with the T1.2. Of course, my plan depends of the price I get for the T5p because it does not make sense to give them in perfect condition under 500EUR. I am still reading and finding out that they made some "sound enhancements" for the 2nd version I am not sure what impact has that on the sound.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #10,585 of 13,430
  A few years back I had a LD MKIII, and tried all kinds of tubes for it. I found overall that the EF95 type (and equivalents) sounded better to me than the EF92/91 styles. My MKIII died a couple years ago and a few weeks ago I replaced it with a (slightly used) MKIV SE. Now when I try the 92/91 style tubes I really like how they sound. They don't have the dynamics of the EF95's but the extended bass is quite nice. I remember it being more boomy and less controlled with the MKIII (these are the same tubes).

Is it possible that it's the extra oomph of the MKIV and it's upgraded power tubes (from the MKIII) really allow the EF92/91 to shine?

Quite possibly. My experience with the EF92 (on my lowly MKII) is that the bass is considerably tighter, the EF95 by contrast are the boomy ones.. I found the more burned in the EF95 where, the boomier they got. They just kept getting warmer! 

Must stress that there two types of Mullard EF92 and they sound different. The first post lists them and I more or less agree with the description. The M8161 are the ones that I use and I find these ones to be more controlled and less coloured.    

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #10,586 of 13,430
Yeah cool - I have those too the M8161's -- I didn't like them much with my MKIII, but since I am really enjoying the EF91's (Sonotone I think - will have to check later) I'm ready to give the 92's a chance again too. Plus they just look cooler! :wink:

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #10,588 of 13,430
What power tubes do you use with EF92? Do they make any change to the sound?

Mine are 6n6p russian. Cant say because l changed the chinese ones straight away as one of the tubes was DOA. Havent tried any others.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #10,590 of 13,430

Users who are viewing this thread

Back