Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #11,750 of 13,428
I noticed with my LD MKII, when i set the volume knob over 40% it starts to distort badly and the bass sounds unpowered. Anyways, at 40% the volume is very high and uncomfortable, but I would want to fix this for music or movies with higher dynamic range where I need to put the volume higher.

I guess the problem is I'm using the stock chinese power tubes.

What power tubes can I pair with the cv4010 I'm using right now?
I can't expend more than $50 right now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #11,751 of 13,428
I noticed with my LD MKII, when i set the volume knob over 40% it starts to distort badly and the bass sounds unpowered. Anyways, at 40% the volume is very high and uncomfortable, but I would want to fix this for music or movies with higher dynamic range where I need to put the volume higher.

Thanks.
What headphones are you using and have you tried changing the gain switches?

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #11,752 of 13,428

Thanks.

I had the same issues with distortion at high volume. I replaced the power tubes also for the russian sovtek 6h30pi and it works fantastic, these have more power than the cheaper 6n6 russian tubes. No need to replace the mullard but you can try the jan5654w which are cheap and sound very freaking good. As for the switches i have them on high gain because i used it with my beyerdynamic dt1990 pro which have 250 ohm impedance, so high gain should be used.

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #11,753 of 13,428
As Trolldragon asked, it would be relevant to know your headphones. Distortions can more likely happen with lower impedance headphones. The 6H30-PI are somewhat more powerful, but the former conclusion in the forum, and IMHO, the 6N6P-IR sound better. Maybe it is helpful if you take a look at the tube table in the sig below

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #11,756 of 13,428
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #11,757 of 13,428
I'm considering trying some 6DJ8 tubes instead of the 6N6p as power tubes in my LD mk2. Can I just replace them or do I have to make any adaptations etc? Thanks

They are plug and play in the LD. However, the 6DJ8 is not nearly as powerful as the 6N6p and therefore, when used as output tubes, they may not be able to drive inefficient and/or low Z cans well.

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #11,758 of 13,428
They are plug and play in the LD. However, the 6DJ8 is not nearly as powerful as the 6N6p and therefore, when used as output tubes, they may not be able to drive inefficient and/or low Z cans well.
Thanks for the heads-up on that. I'll probably try a pair just to satisfy my obsessive curiosity. Is there a big difference in sound quality (good or bad) with the 6DJ8? I guess it depends on the make. Any recomendations for a (cheapish) decent make?

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #11,759 of 13,428
The 6DJ8 was made by many manufacturers. And given that we all have different ears and different gear, determining what is "good" and "bad" is very subjective. That said, many believe that the early Holland-made white-label Bugle Boys are very good for the money. The legendary Joe's Tube Lore is a good place to start:

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

However, unlike Joe, I really like the mid-1970's 6N23P (6H23N) manufactured by Reflector and Voskhod.

Have fun! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back