Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #9,901 of 13,432
I look at the link for that adapter and just found out that the socket is just a regular gold plated cup style socket PCB mount not one of those premium ceramic socket.

Premium Ceramic socket/PCB that i used for my AMPS.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #9,902 of 13,432
  Shame, I paid for the adapters already :frowning2: , I emailed the seller and asked if he could cover the terminals... somehow.. Anyway, I decided to go for the 6SN7GTA SYLVANIA  also got a pair of Siemens C3G-S with adapters I purchased on the head-fi trade forum.

Ask for a refund the worst that could happen is if he says no 

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #9,903 of 13,432
Solved the problem, seller was very friendly and replied quickly and he offered to do some modifications to avoid the problems you mentioned, also offered to send some socket savers too, all for no extra cost.

He sells the adapters for the amps his company makes. Thanks to all of you guys, will post soon after I install all these thingies.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #9,904 of 13,432
Hi!  I have a LD1+ and I'm interested to get a pair of C3m (much cheaper than the C3g).
I understand the pin-out of the C3m is different from the C3g, so I have to build the adapters myself (and use the 20V heater voltage in the LD1+.)
I found the Loctal sockets are rather difficult to get locally.   Is it possible if I use a Octal socket instead, provided once I carefully insert the C3m, I will not remove it?

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #9,905 of 13,432
  Hi!  I have a LD1+ and I'm interested to get a pair of C3m (much cheaper than the C3g).
I understand the pin-out of the C3m is different from the C3g, so I have to build the adapters myself (and use the 20V heater voltage in the LD1+.)
I found the Loctal sockets are rather difficult to get locally.   Is it possible if I use a Octal socket instead, provided once I carefully insert the C3m, I will not remove it?

You can get a good quality Loctal socket here  cannot use octal socket pins are alot bigger in octal socket                                                                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/191571487234?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    or here            http://www.ebay.com/itm/381087439551?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT        i have an mk3 and i couldnt use a C3M Loctal with my amp with only adapters check out  the thread or maybe someone who has a LD1+ can help but not shure you can use C3M Loctals 

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #9,906 of 13,432
Thank you Mikelap,
I have purchased the parts and will experiment with them once they arrive.

Another question:  On the Ld Mk4 (as well as the Mk2 & Mk3), are there 2 separate heater windings, each capable of 500mA max, supplying the driver tubes?  Or if there is a 6.3V/1A total winding for both driver tubes/
Is that the reason we cannot use the internal heater circuit to supply a single 5687 or 6SN7 at >500mA, even we will be using one tube instead of 2 for the driver stage?

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #9,907 of 13,432
First, you should know that we do not have an official schematic for any LD amp. Second, I am not an electrical engineer or journeyman electrician. In fact, I figure I know just enough to be dangerous. lol. And third, we always try to be safe rather than sorry in our recommendations. That said, it is my understanding that while it appears that there is a single 6.3V/1A winding to supply both driver sockets, a number of our more knowledgeable members harbor some doubt that the connecting wires from the transformer to each socket were designed to handle more than 0.5 amps, much less 1 amp. And therefore, we always advise folks to assume that is not safe to draw more than about 0.45 amps in either of the driver sockets. Thus our recommendation for the use of an external heater supply when running tubes drawing in excess of 0.45 amps.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #9,908 of 13,432
  First, you should know that we do not have an official schematic for any LD amp. Second, I am not an electrical engineer or journeyman electrician. In fact, I figure I know just enough to be dangerous. lol. And third, we always try to be safe rather than sorry in our recommendations. That said, it is my understanding that while it appears that there is a single 6.3V/1A winding to supply both driver sockets, a number of our more knowledgeable members harbor some doubt that the connecting wires from the transformer to each socket were designed to handle more than 0.5 amps, much less 1 amp. And therefore, we always advise folks to assume that is not safe to draw more than about 0.45 amps in either of the driver sockets. Thus our recommendation for the use of an external heater supply when running tubes drawing in excess of 0.45 amps.

Many thanks Gibosi,  Well understood!
It's always better be safe than sorry!
I raised the question because I read a photo posted by TD in the early pages, that the LD transformer has a 3.3V*2/1A winding, and assumed that was the case.  Thank you for the caution!

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #9,911 of 13,432
  Got the adapters I mentioned before with the safety mod so the terminals wont touch the case, but the 6s7n tubes just wont fire up. think I am screwed lol. The C3gs are just awesome tho!

Hi WeirdChild...afraid I haven't been around for a good while - my MKIV SE was ousted by my Feliks-Audio Elise, I'm afraid!

But am really glad the C3g is still finding fans who appreciate its magic, lol!...

Cheers,
CJ

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #9,912 of 13,432

Hi WeirdChild...afraid I haven't been around for a good while - my MKIV SE was ousted by my Feliks-Audio Elise, I'm afraid!

But am really glad the C3g is still finding fans who appreciate its magic, lol!...

Cheers,
CJ

Hi hypnos1, glad you are enjoying that great Amp, have read a lot about it! Unfortunately I havent been able to run the C3Gs with a decent pair of powertubes, the adapters I ordered didnt work, my big shame, well, as I am expecting a shipment from china that carries the adapters Mike sugested, along with some 9 pin socket savers. I have been reading this thread a lot and now I wonder if you could assist me in running some Tung-Sol 6080 (already got them), As I could see you ran this project before! Well the thing is that I made a diagram and just want to make sure everything is in order, will be a very fun weekend project anytime soon. :) Please check the image and tell me what would you suggest in case something is missing, Help will be very much appreciated cheers!

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #9,913 of 13,432
  ......As I could see you ran this project before! Well the thing is that I made a diagram and just want to make sure everything is in order, will be a very fun weekend project anytime soon. :) Please check the image and tell me what would you suggest in case something is missing, Help will be very much appreciated cheers!

Your diagram looks pretty good to me. However, I do not see one important step. You must cut off pins 4 and 5 on the two 9-pin socket savers. Since you are supplying power to the heaters externally, you need to sever the connection to the LD's heater circuit. I suspect you already know this, but since I do not see it on your diagram, I wanted to be sure. :)

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9,914 of 13,432

Your diagram looks pretty good to me. However, I do not see one important step. You must cut off pins 4 and 5 on the two 9-pin socket savers. Since you are supplying power to the heaters externally, you need to sever the connection to the LD's heater circuit. I suspect you already know this, but since I do not see it on your diagram, I wanted to be sure. :)

You are right, forgot to mention pins 4 and 5 from the socket saver must be cut off or desoldered and must not be conected to the LD. :) Thanks for all the help! Will report soon.

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #9,915 of 13,432
  You are right, forgot to mention pins 4 and 5 from the socket saver must be cut off or desoldered and must not be conected to the LD. :) Thanks for all the help! Will report soon.

Mordy, Hypnos1 and others have blazed a very clear trail for you and I am sure you will be astounded and delighted with the results. Cheers! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back