Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #47 of 13,413
Alright, I've bought a pair of matched 6n6p without gold grid.

Maybe in the future I'll consider upgrading them.

Meanwhile my amp still hasn't been shipped yet, lol.

EDIT: It turned out that the ones I've bought are with the gold grid! The seller informed me right now.

He still has some left, if I were you, for 10$ for a matched pair, I'd snatch them right now :wink:

MATCHED PAIR 6N6P Military GOLD GRID TUBES ECC99 E182CC

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #48 of 13,413
Great guide you got going here. 

Im pleased to see someone else raving about the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV.  I have tried a large range of tubes with my LittleDot 1+ and keep comming back to them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #49 of 13,413
[size=medium]This is a good catch and did the seller miss at first the fact that the tubes had gold grids on them? I looked again at my standard 6N6P tubes under the stereo scope and saw that the wires are steel (nickel colored) wrapped around posts that appeared to be cooper which in turn mask some of the color of the steel wires.  I enjoy my gold grid 6N6P tubes the peaks like the bass drum has more impact and the highs are smooth and dynamic as well.  [/size]

Quote:
Alright, I've bought a pair of matched 6n6p without gold grid.

Maybe in the future I'll consider upgrading them.

Meanwhile my amp still hasn't been shipped yet, lol.

EDIT: It turned out that the ones I've bought are with the gold grid! The seller informed me right now.

He still has some left, if I were you, for 10$ for a matched pair, I'd snatch them right now :wink:

MATCHED PAIR 6N6P Military GOLD GRID TUBES ECC99 E182CC

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #50 of 13,413
Quote:
[size=medium]This is a good catch and did the seller miss at first the fact that the tubes had gold grids on them? I looked again at my standard 6N6P tubes under the stereo scope and saw that the wires are steel (nickel colored) wrapped around posts that appeared to be cooper which in turn mask some of the color of the steel wires.  I enjoy my gold grid 6N6P tubes the peaks like the bass drum has more impact and the highs are smooth and dynamic as well.  [/size]

yeah, I first asked him if they were the gold grid ones and he said that they weren't, I bought them anyway.

After a bit he messaged me telling me that he broke one by accident (I don't trust him on this, imho he broke one himself to check it out of curiosity) and that they had the gold grid indeed. Then he changed the name and description of the auction and included the photos of the broken tube where you can clearly see the gold grid.
I immediately ordered another pair and made the combined shipment as it looked like a real bargain to me.

I hope that I've not been fooled.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #51 of 13,413
Aug 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #52 of 13,413
Good question on Electro Harmonix. I've been waiting for a long time the PowerTube section update. Dept_of_Alchemy, show must go on 
wink_face.gif
!

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #53 of 13,413
Great guide!  Thanks for you hard work on this.

I've had my MKIII for a few years with several tubes and have some observations that I can add.

There's a greater difference in sound moving from tube family (EF95, EF92, EF91) than moving from brands within a family (with the possible exception of the EF95 tubes).

The biggest change in sound moving from tube families is the soundstage:  EF95 - in your face, EF92 a little more spread out, EF91 wow you're getting out there, maybe too far.

The EF95 tubes have the greatest diversity in sound between brands and types.

The EF91 and EF92 tubes sound very similar to one another in the same family most likely due to the fact that they were manufactured in the same plants in England.

You can get really good deals on relabled EF92 tubes sold in the US (still UK tubes).

My favorite all around tube is the Raytheon black 6AK5W from the 1950s (for my HD650 headphones).

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #54 of 13,413
[size=medium]Max F[/size]
[size=medium]I agree mostly what you said. While most of the EG91 and EF92 tubes are built in England my EF91 GEC (General Electric) also made in England has a unique built make up that is different from others.  It is heavily guttered with black tops with silvered middle that is addition to the wide metal band that is common to the EF91 and EF92 family of tubes. The EF91 GEC also has a square wire anode ring on top and boxy structures underneath the anode ring that I do not recall in other tubes. The EF91 GEC and the United Electron EF92 tube do not sound the same but they both have big soundstage. Recording made in a cathedral like environment are fantastic. I also find great clarity for dialog in movies and even with Netflix and Hulu. The GEC tubes seems to be more picky on what power tube it is paired with. There is more to learn since I only own my MKII for two and half months and I am waiting on parts for my next experiment.     [/size]

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #55 of 13,413
Good point John.  I'd have to admit my sample sizes for the EF91 and EF92 tubes are rather small.

Something else i forgot to mention, the guide mentions that some people reported distortion on some EF91 tubes.  If I remember correctly, the consensus was that the distortion occured on low impedance headphones only - ones that required more current to drive.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #56 of 13,413
Hey guys

Have an extra pair match Mullard M8083 Large Shield, just pm me. Bought it based on review from the tube rolling thread and John's recommendation.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #57 of 13,413
Max F

I would think the point is that the power tubes is what really drive the headphones and the driver tubes like the EF91 just drive the power tubes grids. I am at the same opinion that with the OP (Dept_of_Alchemy) that distortion is more of an issue with the power tubes not the driver tubes until I learn otherwise. The OP stated that he never experienced the issue of distortion with the EF91 tubes using the 6H6P-I power tubes himself. The EF91 strong and clear midrange and treble just makes everything more obvious and it is my guess that is the reason that some users will notice distortion somewhere in the chain.  

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #58 of 13,413
I got my mk2 yesterday, I'm burning it with the standard valves that came with the amp.

Using an AKG K601 with gain set to 5.

As soon as I have 100 hours I'll switch the power tubes and driver tubes.

I have ready my 6H6P with gold grid and voshdok 6zh1p-eb from the '73. They should be my main setup, after I'll try playing with different driver tubes.

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #59 of 13,413
another happy owner of Voshkods.
They are just awesome.
Perfect highs, lovely midrange and punchy, exact, plastic bass.
The best tubes that i ever heard on MK III

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #60 of 13,413
How do you guys find the Voshkods against Mullard M8083? I really don't know if I should get it, what I expect from voshkods compared to the Mullard? Currently using opamp2107 with the M8083 so dont know if the voshkods will be a great match with it. Let me know guys
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back