Little Dot MKVII+ Available Now!
Jan 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 164

Bowedtoothdoc

100+ Head-Fier
From the Little Dot Website:

Little Dot Amplifiers • View topic - Little Dot MK VII+ Balanced Headphone Amplifier

The Little Dot MK VII+ is a fully balanced, dual-mono headphone amplifier with single-ended compatibility. The circuit is composed of four independent channels with LME49710HA pre-stage and discrete BD139/BD140 transistor output stage. The four independent channels are fed by dual double-wound toroidal transformers with double rectification and four independent regulators which constitute a true “dual-mono” architecture.

The input and output XLR jacks are Swiss-made locking Neutrik for superior conductivity and durability. The input RCA jacks are premium American CMC and the 6.35mm output headphone port is also a locking Neutrik jack. The volume control is a Japanese ALPS potentiometer for exceptional tracking and smooth rotation. Premium hand-selected resistors are used throughout the circuit alongside German WIMA / CHEMI-COM capacitors. The Little Dot MK VII+ is an OCL (output capacitor-less) design which provides an unmatched level of sound purity as components in the signal path are minimized to reduce distortion and imparting color to the sound. Extremely low output impedance and high damping factor coupled with immense power output ensures iron control of any headphone driver. The Little Dot MK VII+ delivers an unmatched level of transparency with unbound dynamic range, lightening quick transient response, and thunderous low frequency impact.

Technical Specifications:

Inputs:
Balanced: 2x 3-Pin XLR
Single-ended: 2x RCA
Outputs:
Balanced: 4-Pin XLR
Single-ended: 1/4" (6.35mm) TRS Stereo jack
Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 200 Khz (- 1dB)
THD+N: 0.001% (2 V RMS @ 1000 KHz)
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8 - 600 ohms
Input Impedance: 20K ohms
THD+N: 0.01% (5V RMS @ 1000 Hz)
Signal-to-Noise: 98 dB
User Selectabale Gain Settings: Low (2.5x) and High (5x)
Power Output:
1500 mW into 8 ohms
1000 mW into 32 ohms
500 mW into 120 ohms
300 mW into 300 ohms
Power Consumption: 25 VA
Measurements:
Metric: 275mm (length) by 217mm (width) by 61mm (height)
Imperial: 10.83 inches (length) by 8.54 inches (width) by 2.4 inches (height)
Weight: 3.5 kg or 7.71 lbs
Available in either 110-120VAC or 220-240VAC
One Year Official Little Dot Warranty

Looks like they did away with the opamps in the buffer stage in favor of discrete transistors.
Anyone with some technical knowlege have any idea as to if this is an improvement over the original design?

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 164
Great news that the site is up and products available! David is a fantastic salesman!

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 164
looking at the MK VII specs:

Little Dot MK VII Technical Specifications:

# Fully balanced or single-ended usage
# OCL (output capacitor-less) design
# Dual independent toroidal transformers, dual independent rectifiers, 4 independent regulators constituting fully independent dual-mono architecture
# Mechanical source-selector for improved isolation
# Frequency Response:
# 5HZ - 200KHz (-1dB)
# THD+N: 0.001% (2V RMS @ 1000Hz)
# Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8 - 600 ohms
# Input Impedance: 20K ohms
# Power Output:
# 8 ohms: 2800 mW
# 32 ohms: 2600 mW
# 120 ohms: 2000 mW
# 300 ohms: 800 mW
# Gain Selector: Low (4x) or High (8x)
# Power Consumption: 25VA
# Measurements:
# Metric: 275mm (length) by 217mm (width) by 61mm (height)
# English: 10.83 inches (length) by 8.26 inches (width) by 2.36 inches (height)
# Weight:
# 3.5 kg or 7.71 lbs
# Available in either 110-120VAC or 220-240VAC

It seems they mixed up the power output data SE <-> balanced...
What about the different Gain values?

Looking forward to the first review!

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 164
This with Dac II is sooo tempting for balanced setup, but I have to try tube amp first (first ever tube amp) I will go for MK IV SE for my office setup and perhaps MKVII+ with dac for home, my hd650 awaits!

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This with Dac II is sooo tempting for balanced setup, but I have to try tube amp first (first ever tube amp) I will go for MK IV SE for my office setup and perhaps MKVII+ with dac for home, my hd650 awaits!

The DAC_II doesn't offer balanced output, its the DAC_I that has balanced output.

DAC_II
DAC_I

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems the MKVII+ will have better synergy with lower impedance cans, and the lower gain is definitely a good move: I have the MKVII and the volume is around 20 (9 o'clock) with my DT880, 250 ohm

Probably a better match with my AKG K701's. I am wondering if there will be any change in sound quality?

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a better match with my AKG K701's. I am wondering if there will be any change in sound quality?

I was thinking the same... This is going to be a good match for a balanced K701! I've read somewhere the new MKVII+ should sound warmer, even if I don't find the MKVII to be harsh or dry.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 164
Great timing, looking to get a budget balanced setup
biggrin.gif
The MKVII will still have more power at 32 ohm than the MKVII+. Apparently the MKVII+ is better with low impediance cans though, could someone please tell me how this would work?

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems the MKVII+ will have better synergy with lower impedance cans, and the lower gain is definitely a good move: I have the MKVII and the volume is around 20 (9 o'clock) with my DT880, 250 ohm

With the CD3000 am lucky to get to 7 o'clock.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 164
Sorry but I don't understand what you all mean by that you can only get to a certain volume level. Like, "with the CD3000 am lucky to get to 7 o'clock", what do you mean you are lucky to get to that volume level?

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great timing, looking to get a budget balanced setup
biggrin.gif
The MKVII will still have more power at 32 ohm than the MKVII+. Apparently the MKVII+ is better with low impediance cans though, could someone please tell me how this would work?

The lower gain will help,but not much.
Instead of being at 7 o'clock on the Vll you will be at 7.30 on the Vll+.

It will give you a bit more control but not much,these are very powerfull amps especially so if you use low impedance cans.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 164
Damn all these low impedience cans that I buy
biggrin.gif
I could get an impedience adaptor in case it is too loud, would that be better? Coz damn that MKVII is POWERFUL!

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but I don't understand what you all mean by that you can only get to a certain volume level. Like, "with the CD3000 am lucky to get to 7 o'clock", what do you mean you are lucky to get to that volume level?

Because at 7 o'clock you are listening quite loud,sometimes I take it up to 8 o'clock and over if it is one of my older CD's that was produced before the loudness wars.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 164
Well it probably wont be as bad as my Zero DAC/amp. I turn it on the lowest listening level and it is just fine, which doesn't give me an option to really turn it down when I don't need it as loud
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back