Little Dot MKIV vs Darkvoice 336i
Jun 23, 2008 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tml09

New Head-Fier
Which would be the better choice? I will be using it with a Beyerdynamic DT880. I am looking for the one with better soundstaging/imaging. In the future I might consider tube rolling, but not as soon as I get the amp. Thanks for your help!

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Darkvoice amps are excellent with higher impedance headphones like the Beyers, and the 336i is no exception. You also might want to consider the new 336se. Technically, the same amp, but with nicer aesthetics. More expensive though. Just a thought.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tml09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which would be the better choice? I will be using it with a Beyerdynamic DT880. I am looking for the one with better soundstaging/imaging. In the future I might consider tube rolling, but not as soon as I get the amp. Thanks for your help!

A couple of folks have had the MKIII and DV336i at the same time. I know one sold the DV, but I'm not sure of the others. If you were asking about the MKIV specifically, I think it's direct competitor is probably the DV332.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah... the DV332 is reportedly a better amp - sounding very similar (very close) to the DV337. The DV332 sounds so great with high impedance phones (and not bad with low impedance phones), and its price is so low, I'm not shure why a person would consider the 336i or 336se... unless they just prefer its tube selection. Also... the DV336i reportedly sounds "tubier" than the DV332 - if you're seeking that type of sound vs a clear, clean and dynamic sound with a bit of warmth and liquidity.

But... for my money... the DV332 sounds so great... that I don't know why anyone, really would feel compelled to try anything else.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 16
I still have my WTB ad for a 332!
smily_headphones1.gif

But I have a Woo3+ on the way so this will be interesting.

In looking at specs, I think the LD IV and 332 are competitors, but from reading around, the 332 is the better amp.

The 336i is similar to Woo3, but we all know which one is better between the two
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have my WTB ad for a 332!
smily_headphones1.gif

But I have a Woo3+ on the way so this will be interesting.

In looking at specs, I think the LD IV and 332 are competitors, but from reading around, the 332 is the better amp.

The 336i is similar to Woo3, but we all know which one is better between the two
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no idea, which is better... haven't heard the LD MKIV... but... it really makes no difference to me... the DV332 is so superb with my Senns.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 16
I messaged jasmine_chine about the differnces between the 336i and 336SE. I'll post back later with the response, but I think the stock tubes look like they are changed.

If the 336i sounds "tubier" than the 332, Id rather have the 336i because the DT880 are very analytical, correct? Id rather have a slightly "tubier" amp than a more neutral one. I'll probably go with the 336i or possibly the SE if the higher cost is justified. What are some good tubes for the 336i? and can anyone recommend a good 3.5mm to RCA? Thanks!

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 16
I had a 336 for a while and have a 332. Of the two, the 332 is definitely worth the bump in price. The 332 is a much more straightup competitor to the LD-IV.

If I was going to recommend a <$1000 system for a person who hopefully would be immune to upgraditis, I'd recommend a reasonable $250 DAC > DV332 > HD6x0.

You can spend a lot of time and money searching for the last couple % and not get past enjoying that system. I still do.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 16
^ Well, the I am also considering the some other amps as well. What is a DAC for? Is it to connect to the computer?

Penchum: Which of the Little dot amps do you think has a wider soundstage/imaging, the MKIV or the MKV?

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

^ Well, the I am also considering the some other amps as well. What is a DAC for? Is it to connect to the computer?

Penchum: Which of the Little dot amps do you think has a wider soundstage/imaging, the MKIV or the MKV?

Wow, that's a tough one.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both of mine have excellent sound stages.

I suppose I would say the MKV does, simply because the MKV is all about accurate reproduction, and the nuances that are heard, that help make up parts of the sound stage, are clearer and presented more realistically.

The MKIV's sound stage is great, and improves nicely depending on the tubes you roll into it. So, it is "variable" in that sense.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I messaged jasmine_chine about the differnces between the 336i and 336SE. I'll post back later with the response, but I think the stock tubes look like they are changed.

If the 336i sounds "tubier" than the 332, Id rather have the 336i because the DT880 are very analytical, correct? Id rather have a slightly "tubier" amp than a more neutral one. I'll probably go with the 336i or possibly the SE if the higher cost is justified. What are some good tubes for the 336i? and can anyone recommend a good 3.5mm to RCA? Thanks!

IIRC, the 336SE also includes the "Fitz Hum Mod" to the original 336i...

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 16
I remember this topic used to come up with some frequency when LD released the MkIV. I think the MkIV is more comparable to the 332 which uses the same tube compliment, that said, the Little Dot user base is a bit larger here on head-fi and judging by that I'd think you can't go wrong with the LD.

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 16
Still no repsonse from the seller, so I guess I should wait till tommorow. The SE may be worth the extra money if it has better tubes and that "mod".

I was thinking of getting this combonation:

DT880
MKIV
Black Silver Cable

Since the MKIV is a tube amp, it should make the sound a little less analytical.

I was also thinking about this combo:

DT880
MKV
Black Gold Cable

Would the cable make a noticable difference in warmth?

I'm trying to make the DT880 a little less analytical, and I aiming for the combo with the better soundstaging/imaging. Quality bass is also of importance, but it takes a backseat to soundstaging.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Still no repsonse from the seller, so I guess I should wait till tommorow. The SE may be worth the extra money if it has better tubes and that "mod".

I was thinking of getting this combonation:

DT880
MKIV
Black Silver Cable

Since the MKIV is a tube amp, it should make the sound a little less analytical.

I was also thinking about this combo:

DT880
MKV
Black Gold Cable

Would the cable make a noticable difference in warmth?

I'm trying to make the DT880 a little less analytical, and I aiming for the combo with the better soundstaging/imaging. Quality bass is also of importance, but it takes a backseat to soundstaging.

Rather than going to the trouble of making the DT880 into something it's not, why not try a phone that's not too analytical and easy to drive like the Alessandro MS2 or the Grado SR325i? I have the LD MKIV SE, MKV, DT880 and SR325i and they all work well together and complement each other. The most rewarding combo is the SR325i with the MKIV SE because the excitement never stops.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most rewarding combo is the SR325i with the MKIV SE because the excitement never stops.

x2!! Now woody them and you'l be in for a huge treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back